Advice request for cordless tools for around the place.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Thanks for the info. When I bought my 453, I got the package with 2x 3ah batteries, because I suddenly realised that the batteries by themselves were the biggest cost. The drill itself is fine, and better than I had before. I've a cheapo Draper corded drill for masonry, but an impact driver is next on the list, and that coffee maker is really tempting..

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Thanks for all that Alreet; glad I chose something decent.

Petro, you make some good points. When I had a look in the shops last weekend, all the makes look and feel a bit plasticy these days and the DeWalt looked like a kids drill, (I still would have bought it had it been on sale last Monday)..

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Just got my hands on it, and I was pleased as a pig in poo; but that soon turned to disappointment when I started putting the Makita drill bits I also bought into it. I put in the wide bladed wood bit and it wobbled. I put in the other two wide wood bits and they wobbled. The normal drill bits seemed ok but the screw bit adapter wobbled as well. It turns out the bits that wobbled are bent!

I tried other wide wood bits and they seemed better, but it doesn't seem to hold them quite true so that a very slight 'wobble' occurs; either that or I'm now seeing it because I'm quite fed up expecting it to be perfect for the money spent.

Looks like phone calls to screwfix tomorrow 😑

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Wobble might not be the right term, but with the jaws closed and spinning, it doesn't look as though the jaws are spinning 'true'.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Keep an eye out for a deal on an impact driver mate...i could never be without one now.

Iirc you're building a house? There will be plenty of work for it

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Right, after sleeping on it and calming down on the day I had yesterday (13 hours of driving and getting home to dog covered in road tar having run round the house and the family leaving it to magically vaporise and then the drill), I've looked at it again. I found an unused Heller masonry 13mm drill bit x 200mm long that seems straight and put in and spun it. it seems to the naked eye, it spins with no perceived 'wobble' at the tip. The chuck doesn't wobble sideways but moves forward and backwards about 2mm, which will be for the hammer action. I found that the jaws have little grips on them and that if i put the hex ended bits in so that the edges match the grooves, they seat straighter.
20170614_100440[1] by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

The Makita drill bits will be going back because they contained bent flat wood bits and screw bit adapter. It also showed that most of my used bits are bent too!

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Sunndog, its not for building the house, that's done and livable, its for all the little bits and pieces around the place like making doors and frames for the old stables to keep the goat in.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE