Recomend me some good EOTWAWKI books

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Suffolksteve

Forager
May 24, 2010
Suffolk
I am legend by Richard Matheson, quite different to the film with a much better ending. It is more about being the lone survivor than the creatures.

The road is depressing, but it is quite a depressing prospect but is very good.

I also enjoyed day by day armageddon, again it's more about the surviving than the zombies though they are a big feature.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Battlefield Earth was superb, I've read that about 6 times so far. I leave it a couple of years between reads. Haven't touched The decology yet though.

Afterblight looks good, as does One Second After.

I just found a lot of the books listed above in my files in epub or PDF formats so I'll copy those to my Kindle.

Given the feedback on The Road, I think I'll pass on reading that one for a bit, sort of in a low spot in my life right now so can do without that sort of litrature.

Keep 'em coming!

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
The John Shannow series by David Gemmel are excellent, in fact as are all his books IMO.

All availible for download, one way or the other, on Kindle - i think i have the full set somewhere on the computer.

Hamster

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Agreed. :) Personally a fan of the Rigante series and Morningstar, but to be fair all his characters are good.. Shame he died before he could finish the Troy series. Wonder if it would have had more to it had he not. :)

Have you seen this site, he makes some of the weapons from Gemmells books. Snaga, swords of night and day etc
http://www.raven-armoury.co.uk/

I think the prices are braver than Druss himself though lol

The John Shannow series by David Gemmel are excellent, in fact as are all his books IMO.

All availible for download, one way or the other, on Kindle - i think i have the full set somewhere on the computer.

Hamster

Last edited:

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Battlefield Earth was superb, I've read that about 6 times so far. I leave it a couple of years between reads. Haven't touched The decology yet though.
Not read the other 9 books? :confused: are you a mad man lol :)

They all carry on from each other. The first book is like the first hour of all 3 lord of the rings films combined.
Funnily enough, i have Black Genesis (the second book) sat here. You want it?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...I heard conflicting reports about The Road, that is was very dark and depressing, the film was made with that whole aspect in mind so don't go and see it if you're feeling depressed in any way. I haven't watched it either..."

The book is superior to the film, neither are particularly jolly. The unnamed disaster that has befallen the earth isn't described in any detail, lots of folks on the internet are keen to tie it down to one type of disaster or another but ultimately the disaster itself is irrelevant, this isn't a book about the end of the world, this a book about a fathers love for his young son.

If you have children then this book will dig its claws into you.

But you should read it.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Agreed. :) Personally a fan of the Rigante series and Morningstar, but to be fair all his characters are good.. Shame he died before he could finish the Troy series. Wonder if it would have had more to it had he not. :)

Have you seen this site, he makes some of the weapons from Gemmells books. Snaga, swords of night and day etc
http://www.raven-armoury.co.uk/

I think the prices are braver than Druss himself though lol

Very nice but a bit rich for my blood.

I wonder how you would draw the swords of day and night as i recall them being slung on he back and from the look of the scabbard the swords slot in at either end.
DOnt know why i always imagined them as two scabbards crossed over the back.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Whilst on the subject of Fantasy authors though not strictly EOTW books anything ans everything by Raymond E Feist is well worth a look, am currently reading my 22nd of his 26 books which i started in December and am genuinely not sure what i am going to do once i finish them all.
He is now firmly up in my top three alongside Gemmel and Pratchett.

Back on topic a little the refuge and the penal colony by Richard Herley are also excellent though may be a little much for younger readers!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
World Made By Hand by James Howard Kunstler

A near future USA, the residents of a small town in NY state try to get by in "world stripped of its modern comforts, ravaged by terrorism, epidemics, and the economic upheaval of peak oil".

The Survivalist novels of Jerry Ahern were what got me into 'bushcraft' many many years ago. However the series was overlong and there are only so many times an author needs to describe someones personal kit and load out. :)

I read Battlefield earth in my teens and enjoyed it, again it seemed a little to long, the man needed a better editor. :)

Greg Bear has written a few end of the world books, The Forge of God and Blood Music, the latter was a very good read, in both cases a thorough knowledge of small holding or survival techniques wouldn't have helped much. :)

Last edited:

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Oh yeah the prices are way too high. Still nice though. :)

Can't remember how the swords were carried tbh. Been a few years since i read that one. :)

Very nice but a bit rich for my blood.

I wonder how you would draw the swords of day and night as i recall them being slung on he back and from the look of the scabbard the swords slot in at either end.
DOnt know why i always imagined them as two scabbards crossed over the back.

Biker

Not read the other 9 books? :confused: are you a mad man lol :)

They all carry on from each other. The first book is like the first hour of all 3 lord of the rings films combined.
Funnily enough, i have Black Genesis (the second book) sat here. You want it?

Yup proud owner of Battlefield Earth and the first 3 books of the decology which i haven't read yet. I pick up the first book and bounce off the first page, I just can't get into it. I have all 10 on the computer to put onto the Kindle one day. Thanks for the offer of the book, Mark, but I already have it.

I just read that Wikipedia write up for Battlefield Earth. Man that got a slagging off! I personally really enjoyed it.

+1 for David Gemmell's stuff. I read Legend years ago and actually came close to tears with the emotions that book induced. Very enjoyable indeed. Haven't read any of the "Sipstrassi stones" books yet, there's been mention of them in Waylander and such but I have started on them as yet. Again got pretty much all of Mr Gemmell's stuff for my Kindle.

Another author in the fantasy genre I enjoyed was David Eddings. He wrote the Belgariad, a series of 5 books which I thoroughly enjoyed. Then he made a sequel to it with yet another 5 books called the Mallorian, I struggled getting past the first volume of that set.

Raymond Feist's work is very enjoyable. haven't read any of his stuff in ages though. Got a ton of it ready to load onto my Kindle.

I think you would enjoy Emberverse Aaron

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emberverse_series

Night of the Triffids is a very good sequel - try "The Kraken Wakes" for something by the same author thats even better!

Also try The Rift"

H

I'll check out that Emberverse series, thanks.

Night of the Triffids I did read and liked but not half as much as I did with Wyndhams original book. Had a look through my files and can't find "Web". Just copied The Kraken wakes to my kindle, as well as a few other books already listed in this thread.

I'm currently reading Jurassic Park at the moment and enjoying that a lot, grittier than the film was. Michael Crichton's Timeline was a good read and they even made it into a film which wasn't too shabby either.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've actually copied the postings here to notepad so I can seek out these recommended books I'm missing for addition to my Kindle list.

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
S.M.Stirling's Dies the fire and the other books of "the change" that follow are very good reads. Also his other books are good that are linked to the change books Island in the sea of time being the first of the three. King of the wood is a great read. Stephen king Cell I also enjoyed.

Biker

S.M.Stirling's Dies the fire and the other books of "the change" that follow are very good reads. Also his other books are good that are linked to the change books Island in the sea of time being the first of the three. King of the wood is a great read. Stephen king Cell I also enjoyed.

I'm going to have to find some more of S.M Stirlings work. I have a few of his books on those Kindle DVDs of mine and I have three books of his on my bookshelf; The Terminator series, which I also enjoyed. The last one in the series is after jdgement day and they're starting to fight against Skynet.

Previously mentioned. I read about 13 of the Survivalist books by Jerry Ahern way back in the mid 80's when they were first published, I liked 'em well enough but was getting just a bit tired of the larger than life antics his character got up to. It was Roger Moore's James Bond on steroids. I suppose I need to reread some to see if my cynicism has changed, but yeah I also read them with the whole bushcraft survivalism aspect in mind and liked them for that aspect.

Last edited:

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Made_By_HandThe Survivalist novels of Jerry Ahern were what got me into 'bushcraft' many many years ago. However the series was overlong and there are only so many times an author needs to describe someones personal kit and load out. :)

Yeah, I read those as well. At the time I liked them (teenager) but looking back they were pretty crap.
Plus with the amount of times he said Hardly Movingsons and Zippos were the best thing since sliced bread and later on to make my own mind up on both, I doubt that Detonics pistols are that good either.

Anyway, books.
I'll second "I am legend" by Richard Matheson, its more than an apocalyptic vampire story and in its own way it suggests that the one "normal" bloke still alive is actually the bad man in the story. Quite well written.

Bit leftfield as its not post apocalyptic but Papillon by Henri Charrière might as well be when you think of having to live on a penal colony in French Guyana. Its one of the best books (and films) I've read (seen). One of the books where I didn't want it to end.

Biker

Yeah, I read those as well. At the time I liked them (teenager) but looking back they were pretty crap.
Plus with the amount of times he said Hardly Movingsons and Zippos were the best thing since sliced bread and later on to make my own mind up on both, I doubt that Detonics pistols are that good either.

Anyway, books.
I'll second "I am legend" by Richard Matheson, its more than an apocalyptic vampire story and in its own way it suggests that the one "normal" bloke still alive is actually the bad man in the story. Quite well written.

Bit leftfield as its not post apocalyptic but Papillon by Henri Charrière might as well be when you think of having to live on a penal colony in French Guyana. Its one of the best books (and films) I've read (seen). One of the books where I didn't want it to end.

Glad to read someone else got tired of reading "his trusty twin Detonic pistols" too. I do recall buying a zippo lighter back then (i don't smoke either) and then wondering why the damn thing didn't light something when I came to use it 3 weeks later when I ofund the fuel had evaporated. So now you can imagine the roar of laughter I gave out in a semi filled cinema when Kevin Costner got one to work in The Postman film which had sat in the postman's pocket for decades.

I read I am Legend just last year and did sorta enjoy it. Certianly a twist on my expectations of the having seen Charlton Heston's and Wil Smith's portrayals in the films.

Interesting take on Papilon. I've not read it but seen the film a couple of times. Might give that a go.

I know what you mean about not wanting a book to end. When I really get into a book and I can feel how thing it's getting towards that back cover I try and limit myself so's not to finish it too soon. Once it done though I hope the next books I find will be just as good, often it's not the case.

Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
I believe that Jerry Ahern the author of the Survivalist series actually owns the Detonics company, I read all the books as a teenager and can still remember most of the kit,very effective product placement !

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
"I survived the Mayan Apocalypse 2012" publication due January 2013 :)

Ok I made that one up, but it kind of reminds me of the last teotwawki event that did not occur with the cyber meltdown non event of 2001.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE