Recently made: Longbow string keeper and a basic axe mask

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Hi All,

What with one thing and another I have been pretty busy lately, but have found time to make a couple of essential (to me :) ) items: a longbow string keeper, and a basic axe mask for my Robin Wood carving axe. Both my own design, but not complex in either case.

The string keeper does just that: it keeps the string slightly taut on the bow so that it cant slip off the nock at the bottom end of the bow, while the bow is unbraced in storage or transport. If the string does come off, twists in it can be lost and the brace height (distance between the bow and string - an essential shooting variable) can change. The string keeper is made of a waste piece of soft leather, and a piece of kangaroo leather lace. Pics here:

26750954026_9187153863_c.jpg

..and on the bow:

26503355460_ee9bcd8135_c.jpg

26750954426_38338c07fa_c.jpg

The axe mask is a basic design with no metal parts. It is welted and sewn:

25967590705_6503ca9748_c.jpg

Cheers, Bob.

Last edited:

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Both very neat and elegant designs I'd say Bob. That keeper complements the bow very well, particularly with the lacing. I like the no metal work feature of the sheath too (and I've been looking for a just such a design for one of my own new toys too.....)

Sent from my E2003 using Tapatalk

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Thanks for the comments guys. I may well be making a lot more stuff soon, as possible redundancy looms ever closer......

Dave, I will have the axe and mask with me at the field archery day, so you are welcome to look at it in detail then.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE