Re handling, how do I start?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
Hi all!

So I'm thinking I'm going to re handle my Gary mills Timberwolf. I handled it myself the first time, but that was 2 years ago before I knew anything about knives! So I'm wanting to take it off to make a new one with a palm swell and comfy to hold (at the moment it's not Grat after a while!).

Anyway I'm wondering how to go about taking the original handle off? Saw? File? Drexel? Microwave? Light sabre? I epoxied it pretty good, and I dont want to damage the tang.

Thanks in advance!

greencloud

Forager
Oct 10, 2015
Newcastle
Boil it to soften the epoxy and remove while still hot (boiling won't get hot enough to affect the temper). If you still need to pry them off use copper or brass so it doesn't scratch up the steel.

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
I have never done it myself, but:
Bolts - I would take a drill to them.
Glue - I guess I would put the knife in an oven at lowish temperature 75 - 100C and try to knock/pry the scales off whilst hot/warm.

pieinthesky

Forager
Jun 29, 2014
Northants
If you cant get them off easily try drilling a couple of holes in the scales, down to the tang and screwing in some self tappers (grind the tips off first)

You can then tighten them against the tang. This might just pop the scales off cold or help them come off when you boil them.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Put the handle in boiling water to soften the glue... put a small chisel down between the tang and scales and snap the scales off.... need to snap em when using bolts... this will leave just the bolts through the tang holes.... then just cut em off however works for you....saw, dremel etc. Job done.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
As hillbill said boil it first. A Stanley blade knocked down may be better than a chisel IME, saves your chisel if nothing!

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Nah, not strong enough, you need to snap upto maybe 12mm of wood, not difficult, no damage to chisel or tang, both are stronger and tougher than the scale ( unless its G10 :D)... the water and boiling helps soften the wood as well as the glue. Got to snap it, to get it away from the bolts, no other way unless you wanna run a bandsaw down the tang and through the bolts, but trust me, that's the hard way. :)

As hillbill said boil it first. A Stanley blade knocked down may be better than a chisel IME, saves your chisel if nothing!

Last edited:

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Personally I'd throw the thing on a fire and let the handle burn off. May not be technical or pretty... but it gets the job done.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
And ruin the heat treatment, cause scale to form on the steel and likely burn the carbon out on the edge for a mm or two. :)

Shelley

Forager
May 27, 2015
New Zealand
Hey good luck with your project, I have a Gary mills timber wolf that I put together myself as well, took a long time to get the handle just right...what are you planning on for the new handle?

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
And ruin the heat treatment, cause scale to form on the steel and likely burn the carbon out on the edge for a mm or two. :)

All easily rectified though with 5 minutes on a grinder and heat treating, no?

Edit: Grinder/belt sander... you know what I mean.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE