Re handling, how do I start?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Greencloud (Post #2) has sound advice.
Drill (carefully) out the rivets and boil to soften everything else.
I bash the scales off farrier's hoof knives to make Pacific Northwest style crooked wood carving knives.
Mind you, I have not done more than 12 or 14 of these.
However, at $50.00 each, I am quite confident that I won't phuque it up.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
All easily rectified though with 5 minutes on a grinder and heat treating, no?

Edit: Grinder/belt sander... you know what I mean.

Er, no. It's a longer job doing it your way and also more likely to cause irreparable damage on the blade of its overlooked at the edge.

To add to mark's technique, as they're loveless bolts, I woul be tempted to put the bolt heads to my grinder on one side of each. Same as drilling them in end goal but drill bits have a tendency to wander off into the softer handle in my experience. There's no desire to save the old handle so get rid o of it completely. :D once the head of he bolt has been ground down there'll be just the glue holding an from the heat of grinding the bolt it may have softened anyway.

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
Hey good luck with your project, I have a Gary mills timber wolf that I put together myself as well, took a long time to get the handle just right...what are you planning on for the new handle?

I'm still undecided on the wood, possibly going to go for oak or walnut. I just want it to fit my hand better, because at the moment, using it for any more than a few mins hurts my hand! Thinking of a nice palm swell :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE