Ray still just ahead in the UK, but Bear more popular worldwide

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I like them all with no preference - Mears, Grylls, Hiddins, Stroud, Parry, Attenborough, Gran, Grandfather, Treadwell (the idiot with the bears), Irwin (the idiot with the reptiles), my mum and dad, my eccentric teacher Mr Middleton, et al.
They have all provided inspiration for me at some point, what's the problem?

**Edit: And Terry Nutkins, he taught me not to put my fingers in an otters mouth.

Last edited:

Fizzlebang

Tenderfoot
Jul 26, 2009
Surrey
Can't see why there is a big deal in deciding who is better when most judgements are based on the persona you see on a tv show. Bear now fronts an entertainment show, once upon a time he went up a mountain and travelled from Canada to Scotland in a RIB...Ray is a top bloke who used to be a scout leader. His TV stuff is more documentary. 2 different genres...its like asking which is best beef or lamb - its all down to personal taste

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
:sleeping: Even I'm getting bored of the question.

fact is they are different, BG is better at white knuckle adventures.
RM is better at teaching and history.

When I'm bored I watch BG.
when I want to learn something I watch RM.

BG = get up and go....risk something, you only live once, give it a go!
RM = sit down and learn, relax and enjoy the surroundings, work with your surroundings, and find a nerdy scientist to nibble nuts with you;)

There's not much of a comparison, :dunno:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Can't see why there is a big deal in deciding who is better when most judgements are based on the persona you see on a tv show. Bear now fronts an entertainment show, once upon a time he went up a mountain and travelled from Canada to Scotland in a RIB...Ray is a top bloke who used to be a scout leader. His TV stuff is more documentary. 2 different genres...its like asking which is best beef or lamb - its all down to personal taste

Roast Beef, Lamb stew - but not Bear Grilled.........:D

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I'd like to see RAY do all of these things on his own.
Let's not forget he ALSO has a crew to back him up.
I wonder how well he would do in such situations, on his own, when it came to it. Has he ever been tested? We all seem to assume he'd do well, but he seems to practice his version of 'whatever we call it' in equally controlled situations as Bear.
Too much fanboy hero-worship going on in this thread. FAR too much taking all so seriously.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I'd like to see RAY do all of these things on his own.
Let's not forget he ALSO has a crew to back him up.
I wonder how well he would do in such situations, on his own, when it came to it. Has he ever been tested? We all seem to assume he'd do well, but he seems to practice his version of 'whatever we call it' in equally controlled situations as Bear.
Too much fanboy hero-worship going on in this thread. FAR too much taking all so seriously.

How about a six month long cross continent unsupported walk across Africa.
Long before Ray Mears was a TV person he was Ray Mears the adventure, and Ray Mears the teacher, unlike some people he walks the walk, just as well as he talks the talk. He learnt bushcraft the way we all hope to learn, by going out and doing it. Back in the 1990s he spent six months with his then girlfriend Ffyona Campbell walking into and through Zaire (to pick up the Landrover Ffyona Campbell had been forced to abandon at the border due to a major war going on at the time) and out of some of the harshest areas of Africa.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Oh of course silly me, 'walking through' is the same as flying over :lmao:

Just remember what you see fo bear on TV now is different to what he has done previously. He was UKSF granted it was TA but it was still SF and for that he would have had to have done the same training as any other SF reg. Lets not forget one of his first shows in the leigion too. He might get a plane in now but he hasnt always had the opportunity too. :)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Just remember what you see fo bear on TV now is different to what he has done previously. He was UKSF granted it was TA but it was still SF and for that he would have had to have done the same training as any other SF reg. Lets not forget one of his first shows in the leigion too. He might get a plane in now but he hasnt always had the opportunity too. :)
Just remember what you read about BG may not be true or even close to being true.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Quite frankly I don't give a hoot about either's ratings but if I had to choose one to share my campfire I'd go with RM as I'm sure he would tolerate a sporting rifle bore (I'm not by the way!) with a little more grace and input than BG. But then I'm not of the fairer s-x!

Cheers

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
You missed out a couple of bits of Bears kit. Namely a 4 star hotel, sixteen crew to build his 'hut', a catering van for his food, a plane to fly him in and someone from the local pet shop to supply the "wild food" he eats.
I'd love to see Bear take a trip with Ray to say the Venezuela Jungle, Two days walk from the middle of Nowhere:lmao::lmao:

You are aware that Bear has climbed everest, crossed the atlantic in an inflatable boat, rowed naked down the thames in a bath tub etc etc etc. He does more physical stuff than Ray. Do you think Ray doesnt get air lifted all over the place? He was in a helicopter crash doing just that. In all fairness, if it was a walk in i reckon bear would be there the day before Ray. Thats just common sense though, bear is younger, fitter and much more energetic that Ray probably ever was.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Just remember what you read about BG may not be true or even close to being true.

Same goes for any tv personality.

Bear did do a program about the Legion, called "escape to the Legion" him and a number of voulunteers underwent legion training in the Sahara. It would be good maybe for you to read as much about folk your going to put down as those you admire. At least you would get your facts straight.

Last edited:
I'm not a weekend warrior myself, but isn't SAS selection the same for TA as regular? Lets give Bear some credit where its due.

This is my biggest problem with Mr Grylls - he has some very impressive achievements and acomplishments under his belt, but he debases it all by pulling silly tricks and stunts performing for the cameras.

Same sort of dissapointment you'd feel if Mr Mears was caught dogging.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Same sort of dissapointment you'd feel if Mr Mears was caught dogging.

Disappointed!?
No way!
I'd pat him on the back - it'd certainly round out his character and make him a damn sight more interesting!
I'm sorry, but I just find Ray boring. I do, I'm afraid.

But you know what, I just don't give a tinker's cuss who is better - Ray, Bear, Les, Lofty, Mors. I couldn't be any less interested in the subject.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
You missed out a couple of bits of Bears kit. Namely a 4 star hotel, sixteen crew to build his 'hut', a catering van for his food, a plane to fly him in and someone from the local pet shop to supply the "wild food" he eats.
I'd love to see Bear take a trip with Ray to say the Venezuela Jungle, Two days walk from the middle of Nowhere:lmao::lmao:

but surely this applies to RM too? ;) they're in the background. I watch mostly RM, only on the odd occasion have I seen BG. Ray always has a different jacket and different gear in one program, where does he get them from? there ain't no shops where he goes I'd imagine. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE