Ray still just ahead in the UK, but Bear more popular worldwide

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
How about a six month long cross continent unsupported walk across Africa.
Long before Ray Mears was a TV person he was Ray Mears the adventure, and Ray Mears the teacher, unlike some people he walks the walk, just as well as he talks the talk. He learnt bushcraft the way we all hope to learn, by going out and doing it. Back in the 1990s he spent six months with his then girlfriend Ffyona Campbell walking into and through Zaire (to pick up the Landrover Ffyona Campbell had been forced to abandon at the border due to a major war going on at the time) and out of some of the harshest areas of Africa.

Hi Tadpole, where did you learn about this? I've love to read more about it.

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
I like them all with no preference - Mears, Grylls, Hiddins, Stroud, Parry, Attenborough, Gran, Grandfather, Treadwell (the idiot with the bears), Irwin (the idiot with the reptiles), my mum and dad, my eccentric teacher Mr Middleton, et al.
They have all provided inspiration for me at some point, what's the problem?

**Edit: And Terry Nutkins, he taught me not to put my fingers in an otters mouth.
I am not sure if you guys have heard of him, but John you forgot Red Green! The show seams to be stylized after a show from the 60s-70 here called the Red Fisher show. ( Fishing and hunting , done exactly like Red Greens Adventures with Bill segments )

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi Tadpole, where did you learn about this? I've love to read more about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ffyona_Campbell

Also Wikipedia has some info on BG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_Grylls

And a bit on RM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_mears

I did some work with a film crew ( behind the lens) a month or two back here in the NZ Bush... The logistics involved for what I thought would be a small film crew compared to say a BBC production were huge... So if you're making a programme be it BG or RM then the reality is going to be that you're not alone in the wild with you and your sabre 45 for company.... TV is all about suspension of disbelief. For some folk that comes more readily with RM than BG which is cool.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
but surely this applies to RM too? ;) they're in the background. I watch mostly RM, only on the odd occasion have I seen BG. Ray always has a different jacket and different gear in one program, where does he get them from? there ain't no shops where he goes I'd imagine. :)
When filming overseas, other than the local organisers, Ray has a crew of between 7 and 10 people, nearly all of whom are more than able to walk in/walk out of the locations with him. I think that in all of his overseas shoots Ray take a film crew who are able to do pretty much all that Ray does, when he ‘canoes’ they are in canoes filming him, when he is in an old fashioned tent in the Canadian high Artic they are in a modern tent filming him.
That’s the other thing, when Ray claims to spend a night sleeping under the stars, he does just that, sleeps out under the stars. Not in some B&B or hotel, He hangs his hammock and his tarp and camps out. Ray makes no claims that he, or others, can’t easily prove. In fact having met the chap (once) he come across as quite embarrassed if people overplay his contribution to TV or to bushcraft. He'd rather talk about the people who inspired him, he gives them the credit for his success, be them Hadza, first nation Canadians or the chindit guy who got him interested in judo.

Ray does stuff that most of us never get to hear about, and he doesn’t tell, ex-part time civilian survival lecturer/instructor for the Royal marines. Rumour has it he’s even been seen lecturing/instructing to the Bear,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ffyona_Campbell

Also Wikipedia has some info on BG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_Grylls

And a bit on RM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_mears

I did some work with a film crew ( behind the lens) a month or two back here in the NZ Bush... The logistics involved for what I thought would be a small film crew compared to say a BBC production were huge... So if you're making a programme be it BG or RM then the reality is going to be that you're not alone in the wild with you and your sabre 45 for company.... TV is all about suspension of disbelief. For some folk that comes more readily with RM than BG which is cool.

Not everything on Wikipedia about Bear Grylls is the whole truth For example he was never the youngest Brit to Climb Everest Nor was Bear the leader of the climb when he walked up Everest, and he is no longer (was he ever) the youngest person to achieve the summit. (James Allen, climbed it at aged 22 in 1995 five years before Bear) . An American girl, Samantha Larson (18) did it in 2007, and a Nepalese girl (15) has also climbed it.

His record as the first person to cross the North Atlantic in a RIB has had to be changed to the first unassisted crossing, as that first record crossing , had already been done. He would have not even been able to claim even the first unassisted crossing, had one of the first crew not needed urgent medical attention.
His claim to a flyover of Everest has also been retracted, as he didn’t get closer to Everest than 2 miles, and as all his instruments “iced” up during the flight, and only started working on the return flight. There was no evidence, other photographs that could have been taken anywhere, the claimed altitude records have not been verified. The first two to fly over Everest in either microlight or hang glider were Meredith-Hardy Angelo D’Arrigo

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Nor was Bear the leader of the climb when he walked up Everest,

Tadpole I admire your Zeal for Supporting RM over BG. Good On Ya.

But no one 'walks' up Everest. Even if they are a TV presenter you've never met and don't particularly like for no reason other than they seek a bit of publicity and make an entertainment programme on Discovery . To get up any Mountain in the Himalaya takes: fitness, guts and determination. To get up Everest takes all those and more by the bucket load even if you're on a guided 'party' style climb. Then you also risk altitude sickness and or cerebal or plumonary oedema

Resorting to a cheap knock down just demeans your point of view in my opinion.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Tadpole I admire your Zeal for Supporting RM over BG. Good On Ya.

But no one 'walks' up Everest. Even if they are a TV presenter you've never met and don't particularly like for no reason other than they seek a bit of publicity and make an entertainment programme on Discovery . To get up any Mountain in the Himalaya takes: fitness, guts and determination. To get up Everest takes all those and more by the bucket load even if you're on a guided 'party' style climb. Then you also risk altitude sickness and or cerebal or plumonary oedema

Resorting to a cheap knock down just demeans your point of view in my opinion.

First I’m No Zelot supporting Ray, I’m merely telling the truth, and sadly for Bear (like father like son) the truth is not what he would like it to be.

Secondly I didn’t mean to rubbish his achievement of climbing Everest, merely to point out that he was on a paid for ‘guided climb’, one that he didn’t lead, one that someone with a bit of fitness, who has climbed climbed two other high peak and done a one week climbing course, and with £125,000, could do. (It looks expensive but you do have three people to help you with your kit)

He did which is more than I could do, though we do share the same back problem.

Were Bear to tell the whole truth about his Real exploits they would still be amazing, it’s just a shame that his real achievements are buried by the avalanche of half truths and lies, which surround him.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Secondly I didn’t mean to rubbish his achievement of climbing Everest, merely to point out that he was on a paid for ‘guided climb’, one that he didn’t lead, one that someone with a bit of fitness, who has climbed climbed two other high peak and done a one week climbing course, and with £125,000, could do. (It looks expensive but you do have three people to help you with your kit)

Tadpole,

I suspect strongly you're not a mountaineer. But you are quite adept with google.

;)

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
How about a six month long cross continent unsupported walk across Africa.
Long before Ray Mears was a TV person he was Ray Mears the adventure, and Ray Mears the teacher, unlike some people he walks the walk, just as well as he talks the talk. He learnt bushcraft the way we all hope to learn, by going out and doing it. Back in the 1990s he spent six months with his then girlfriend Ffyona Campbell walking into and through Zaire (to pick up the Landrover Ffyona Campbell had been forced to abandon at the border due to a major war going on at the time) and out of some of the harshest areas of Africa.

Is this the Fyona campbell that was caught out cheating when she walked
across Australia . Apparently she was getting lifts in the support vehicle .

So did they do all that was claimed.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Tadpole,

I suspect strongly you're not a mountaineer. But you are quite adept with google.

;)
I have done some climbing in the UK, and worked with Steve Findlay in the 1990s for a year.
As for google, I see no point in remaining in ignorance merely for the sake of it. I’d rather check my facts than make myself look foolish.:rolleyes:

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I have done some climbing in the UK, and worked with Steve Findlay in the 1990s for a year.
As for google, I see no point in remaining in ignorance merely for the sake of it. I’d rather check my facts than make myself look foolish.:rolleyes:

That's ok you don't look foolish in a discussion over the relative merits of 2 TV survival / bushcraft programme presenters...

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Is this the Fyona campbell that was caught out cheating when she walked
across Australia . Apparently she was getting lifts in the support vehicle .

So did they do all that was claimed.
She walked across the world unaided, it was IN the USA when she accepted lifts, becasue she was pregnant, and only accepted lifts for a total of about a month. According to the Guinness book of world records despite confessing to cheating, she had not because the rules allow for aid in case of medical need, illness, or war. Her walking caused a spontaneous abortion of her unborn foetus, I'd call that a medical need.

After she had finished the bulk of the walk around the world, she returned to America and retraced her steps to the point where she had accepted her lift from the support crew and re-walked the whole of the missing miles again. This entire episode she wrote in her books, she made no secret of it, at the time or later.
Bear could learn a lot from her.

Last edited:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I like the way even the word of the people in this thread is now being questioned...

Really, come on, does it actually matter?

is it time to lock the thread before it gets nasty?...or boring!:lmao:

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
The truth is Ray still has more gear with him than you can poke a stick at if he is in oz its all the latest swags and so on i would respect him more if he did go out with a knife
and live from the land for a set time in diferent enviroments.
To me he just goes camping around the world.

And Tadpole he may of gone through Africa but with how much gear and money?.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
And Tadpole he may of gone through Africa but with how much gear and money?.
I'll have to re-read the books, but I think it was $10 a day (back in the days when there were two and a half to the pound), so about $1800 for the whole trip he made with Ms Campbell. All the gear was pulled/pushed between the two of them in a two wheeled handcart,

"She was halfway across Africa when there was an uprising in Zaire. It was a very dangerous situation," he says. "She had to leave her support Land Rover and she asked me to walk with her to keep her safe. We walked for 300 miles over about six months through Zaire, the Central African Republic and Cameroon, pushing all her possessions in a handcart. I started out as a very fit 13 stone and ended up 10 stone - at one point in Zaire I weighed 8 stone." I had malaria twice. Ray P Mears

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2010
bedfordshire
Same sort of dissapointment you'd feel if Mr Mears was caught dogging.

OMG!! Someone pass me the mind bleach!!:eek::yuck:

Tadpole where was the quote from?
"She was halfway across Africa when there was an uprising in Zaire. It was a very dangerous situation," he says. "She had to leave her support Land Rover and she asked me to walk with her to keep her safe. We walked for 300 miles over about six months through Zaire, the Central African Republic and Cameroon, pushing all her possessions in a handcart. I started out as a very fit 13 stone and ended up 10 stone - at one point in Zaire I weighed 8 stone." I had malaria twice. Ray P Mears

Lisa -Lady of Tanith

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE