Ray still just ahead in the UK, but Bear more popular worldwide

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Arri

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2010
Bucks, UK
All very valid points, but as has been mentioned in the thread already, Ray doesn't do bushcraft anymore, the last series was an historical presentation and he's also being lined up to present World of Survival, a revamped version of the wildlife programme that was on in the eighties. Looks like the king is dead and we need a replacement.

How about a Delia/Mears crossover about backcountry cooking? :p

He does seem to enjoy his cooking... :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
All very valid points, but as has been mentioned in the thread already, Ray doesn't do bushcraft anymore, the last series was an historical presentation and he's also being lined up to present World of Survival, a revamped version of the wildlife programme that was on in the eighties. Looks like the king is dead and we need a replacement.

It's not just bushcraft as something to be presented, it's those very skills and the appreciation of the natural world, and mankind's place within it, that appeals.
I think Ray is simply continuing his journey :) He's constantly learning and he writes and talks about the places he has been, the stories of the people who were there before him, and their journeys too.

cheers,
Toddy

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
so how come no ones mentioned Tom brown and his amazing do it all, tree chopping aircraft mending knife then........................

*runs

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
I'd love to see Ray do an entire series living off the land with minimal equipment. Something like his Journeyman course. But I suspect we've seen the last of his skill based series unfortunately.

Ah well. He's doing exactly what he wants, which is as much as anyone could ask for.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I don't see how there's any relevance in what I get up to and the popularity between Bear and Ray.
That's like me saying that I prefer to play snooker but Liverpool FC is better than Man Utd.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
They say there are three great conflict themes to literature: man against man; man against himself; and man against nature.

It seems to me that Bear taps into two of the three, man against nature, wherein nature is an obstacle to be overcome. and man against himself. Bear always pits himself against nature in every episode.

Ray, however, always seems to live in harmony with nature. And there you have it; one program is filled with conflict -- the stuff of literature (and television) and the other is not.

This is not to say that Bear is "better" than Ray. It is to say, however, that Bear will be more entertaining to more people. Frankly, I vastly prefer Ray over Bear, but I'm not making my judgments on "entertainment" value, but instead, on educational value. i.e. what can Ray teach me today? Plus, Ray's calm demeanor is relaxing while, Bear's frenetic running about wears me out.

Well, that's my opinion, and that, and $4.00 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
You know what I don't like about B.G.? The same thing I don't like about Ed Wardle, they make it look like a hard struggle and I'm not saying it's not, but people like Lars Monsen and Ray Mears make it look natural and part of being a human being. They enjoy nature and what it has to offer rather than complaining about how difficult and **** everything is.

Very true and well put.

Thats one thing I really like about Ray and the limited Lars stuff I've seen. They love what they are doing, not just fighting and kiling everything in sight (although Lars does seem to do alot of fishing).

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
Another vote here for Les Hiddens, original and modest. But at the end of the day its all entertainment whoever you watch.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Do we have figures for Female votes cast for both??

Oh, and as for JH's Out of Town I have what is touted as the boxed set but if I'm honest too many of the episodes are like watching paint dry although their significance as a social document is undeniable if poorly acknowledged. One that stands out in this regard is his attendance at the Appleby Fair gathering, circa 1970, and his narrative of the gypsies from dawn through to dusk. Talk about no holds barred on the anthropological front!

Cheers

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...I rarely watch tv, maybe four or five hours a year. At the first Scottish Meet I asked who this Ray Mears fellow was :eek:, what was his background, and Sandbender brought out his laptop and powered it up to show me...."

That feels like a lifetime ago. :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D
It does doesn't it ?
We're having another one in early March..........long way for you to travel for now though :)

I did buy Ray's books though :cool: went to one of his lectures in Glasgow, and I've even watched a couple of the DVD's :D

atb,
M

Mang

Settler
...Ray doesn't do bushcraft anymore, the last series was an historical presentation and he's also being lined up to present World of Survival, a revamped version of the wildlife programme that was on in the eighties. Looks like the king is dead and we need a replacement.

Ray would be a good choice for World of Survival and, dare I say, Mr Attenborough's crown in time. As for a replacement, what about Andrew Price of Dryad Bushcraft? He did the A-Z of Bushcraft DVD and writes good pieces for Bushcraft and Survival Skills magazine. Never met the guy but I think he could succeed in a Bushcraft TV show.

I'm also like watching Bear too for what it's worth..

Arri

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2010
Bucks, UK
They say there are three great conflict themes to literature: man against man; man against himself; and man against nature.

It seems to me that Bear taps into two of the three, man against nature, wherein nature is an obstacle to be overcome. and man against himself. Bear always pits himself against nature in every episode.

Ray, however, always seems to live in harmony with nature. And there you have it; one program is filled with conflict -- the stuff of literature (and television) and the other is not.

This is not to say that Bear is "better" than Ray. It is to say, however, that Bear will be more entertaining to more people. Frankly, I vastly prefer Ray over Bear, but I'm not making my judgments on "entertainment" value, but instead, on educational value. i.e. what can Ray teach me today? Plus, Ray's calm demeanor is relaxing while, Bear's frenetic running about wears me out.

Well, that's my opinion, and that, and $4.00 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

I never thought about it from a TV/entertainment value Point of View, but I see what you're saying.

Ray is more BBC 4 (PBS) while Bear is more Sky 1 (FOX).

Anyway I have nothing against either or anyone TBH, they're all doing their job and hopefully they're enjoying it and getting some satisfaction out of it.

The statistics will only ever be relevant if you can filter out those searching for Bear Grylls for comedy value. :D

EDIT:
This is a close run thing!!!
ScreenShot003.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE