Ray Mears Leaf Cutter Backpack - first impressions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The OP review is great, balanced, some other comments aren't though. I like the look of the pack and if still able to hike I'd look at getting one.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
The OP review is great, balanced, some other comments aren't though. I like the look of the pack and if still able to hike I'd look at getting one.

I'm intrigued: what is it about the pack that might prompt you to get one? I like the look of it but have reservations about the way it's been thought out. Perhaps I'm missing something - I would love to hear why you think it might be worth a punt.

I fully agree with you about the review: it was well balanced, objective and in no way personal or hypercritical.

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
Evening all.

Just got back to this after a busy weekend.

Thank you all for you feedback.

I am very impressed that Woodlore have posted my review - good on them and very professional. I have had a ramble fully loaded this weekend and I will add some details to the first post in due course.

I also need to say that I will update my review if, like with the frame, Woodlore update the pack - that would only be fair. You will have seen on their website that they have added some detailed pics of the webbing and drainholes since I posted my review.

Tony R, welcome - I am sorry you feel so strongly that you had to launch in with your comments in your very first post on the forum. To clarify, I have been purchasing equipment from Woodlore for a number of years and have been very happy with their products and services over the years. My post was certainly not a knee jerk reaction and I tried to be as objective as possible based on 30 odd years of expeditions and expedition support. I currently advise young people in what to use and take for UK and foreign based expeditions including for the Gold Duke of Edinburgh's Award. As I have clearly stated it is in no way an attack on Ray himself. However, you are entitled to your opinions and I respect that. Beyond this comment I will say no more and I am certainly not going to enter into an argument.

Regards, K

Last edited:

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Tony R, for what it's worth:

I took delivery of one of the first Leaf Cutters last week. I'd really looked forward to the idea of a relatively light sack with three outside pockets and the usual Woodlore build quality, and I was very happy to pay a premium for that. I experienced the same concerns as Kawasemi, and was reassured to read his review which echoed my own doubts about the pack. I don't have Kawasemi's experience with this type of kit, so don't feel confident that I can make it work for me. Since I'd paid for a premium product, and didn't feel I'd received that, I returned it to Woodlore who have been faultless in their usual friendly and efficient customer service. I've no doubt that the Leaf Cutter will go from strength to strength as they respond to customer feedback, and when it's revised I may well buy one again.

I've had heaps of kit from Woodlore over the years, both their own and third party, and never been disappointed. Their leatherwork is wonderful, and their own-brand (and sadly no longer produced) shirts are my very favourite items of clothing. I've been on four courses, read all the books, watched all the DVDs etc. You'll find some of my photos used to promote their courses. Met Ray on at least four occasions, and got to go deer tracking with him.

In conclusion, it's quite possible to be a fanboi and still not like something from the store...

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Tony R, for what it's worth:

I took delivery of one of the first Leaf Cutters last week. I'd really looked forward to the idea of a relatively light sack with three outside pockets and the usual Woodlore build quality, and I was very happy to pay a premium for that. I experienced the same concerns as Kawasemi, and was reassured to read his review which echoed my own doubts about the pack. I don't have Kawasemi's experience with this type of kit, so don't feel confident that I can make it work for me. Since I'd paid for a premium product, and didn't feel I'd received that, I returned it to Woodlore who have been faultless in their usual friendly and efficient customer service. I've no doubt that the Leaf Cutter will go from strength to strength as they respond to customer feedback, and when it's revised I may well buy one again.

I've had heaps of kit from Woodlore over the years, both their own and third party, and never been disappointed. Their leatherwork is wonderful, and their own-brand (and sadly no longer produced) shirts are my very favourite items of clothing. I've been on four courses, read all the books, watched all the DVDs etc.

In conclusion, it's quite possible to be a fanboi and still not like something from the store...

Yes Mr Robinson this is also my position and I feel stating that negative criticism as well as positive feed back on the Woodlore web site should be balanced. To date I personally have only had exemplary service from Woodlore so I know what I am talking about. Oh yeh welcome to the forum.

Boreal Boy

Nov 16, 2011
Cold Lake, Alberta Canada
Great review, thank you!
I will be placing a rather large order from Woodlore soon and the Leafcutter was on the list although now, I may wait to see if they rectify some of the "issues" pointed out. Do you all think they will address these problems sooner rather than later? I must say the one thing that surprised me was the lack of a slide-behind pocket for an axe or another means to attach an axe. To those who own this pack, how do you attach/carry an axe or folding saw?
Regardless, I too would really like to see photos of the pack with various loads to get a good idea of the size.
Thanks again.
Tobes001, I like your look on things, thanks for the input. tracking With Ray, sounds like fun! Really, no more leather goods from Woodlore?

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
Anyone know how these sit on taller folk? The non adjustable back is putting me off a little. I'm north of 6 foot.

Have any further revisions been made since the OP made the review?

minds_eye

Aug 30, 2011
South West UK
Apologies for the necropost on this, but I was curious if anyone had purchased a Leaf Cutter recently and could comment if any more of the issues had been addressed?

Glosfisher

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2007
Cotswolds
Interested in the statement that Woodlore said they were going back to SMG to discuss some of the OP's observations. SMG, surely, will have been given a design brief by Woodlore to produce a product at a certain cost. SMG will have shown Woodlore at least one pre-production example and Woodlore will have approved the sample before allowing production to commence. So for Woodlore to imply that somehow it's SMG's problem is a little disingenuous, at the very least.

Woodlore will have set out with a unit cost in mind and their anticipated profit, in this case as a Specially Manufactured Unit, that profit will be more greater than marketing other brands' products.

Food for thought.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE