Ray Mears Leaf Cutter Backpack - first impressions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Hi Andy,

In the short term my work will allow me to try it out in the UK on extended rambles and if it doesn't work for me I can have a back up arranged. I don't feel that short haul to a fixed camp location will be a problem (based on a load up today) even with the fixed back but over the next month or so I will be able to try both. Long-term ownership will probably see me doing more of the short haul stuff and it does have a good volume for shifting kit which was my original plan.

I do occasionally go out to North Africa but that wll not be for a while now so 'extreme' use will have to be the judgement of any potential buyer but i will try and help with what info I can give.

I'd love to compare it to my £20 50l TFG fishing rucksack (adjustable contact fabric padded back, aluminium bar frame, good padded waist belt (with pocket), fixed pockets, integrated rain cover, extra gear baffle, front entry, waterproof bottom etc.) - how heavy is it? The only downside to mine is the weight - but that's a hefty price for something that sounds in a similar league.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Having never been to the jungle, maybe i am not qualified to comment, but a pack problem on Dartmoor is a big deal, take it from one who knows.

Nice review by the way, and as long as you are happy, that is all that matters, look forward to some pics and write up when you have put it through it's pace's.

Ivan...

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Update number two - Woodlore have replied again after I said I would keep it and have asked me to put it through it's paces and give them some more feedback after it has had a good run - Well done Woodlore, excellent response.

Give me a chance to get out and I'll keep you good folks posted ;)

ps = I'll get some pics done this weekend

That's really good service and lets hope they react to your feedback, certainly with the interest this pack has generated on here it's in their interest to do so!

I look forward to the photos :)

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I'm not in the market for a backpack, but I am greatful for a fair and honest review. Thank you and I hope your decision to keep it.,rewards you.
Cheers

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
A lot of companies wont post negative reviews.

I can fully understand why but it is also important for future purchasers to get a balanced set of reviews so that perceived weaknesses in a product are mentioned. Having a '100% Approval Rating' is a lovely idea but does rather smack of massaged figures/editing. I suppose that Woodlore doesn't want to start their list of reviews with something that is less than glowing; maybe they'll slide it in behind a glowing, 'happy customer' comment. That way, they can still argue that they have published a range of reviews, covering all angles. Even so, there's absolutely no faulting their customer service on this.

Although I'm not in the market for such a pack, it'll be interesting to see how this develops and whether there'll be any alteration to the design, in terms of capacity and (my main bugbear) compression straps.

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
Another update ladies and gents - please see the original post.

Over the past two days I have had a very genuine positive reaction to my review (and I know that the Woodlore team are reading this thread as parts of it have been quoted to me in our email correspondence). I have to say that in no way have they put any pressure on me and Woodlore have acknowledged the rights I have to discuss my opinions.

Because my major concern was the internal frame, Woodlore have now addressed this immediately with SMG and they are sending me the necessary parts to resolve the concern I had. All future packs will have the frame in a condition that means they will function as designed. Woodlore requested that I change the bold writing to reflect this in my review. They have stressed that it is my choice whether I do so but in the light of the arrangements they have made to rectify this problem I do feel that it is fair that I change this part of the review.

As before pics and 'in action' review to come.

Regards

kawasemi

Revised point 7.The alloy back stays that create the internal frame. When the pack arrived, the stays were not located in the internal slots - do check this if you buy. It is easy to relocate and once in place all is fine. The ends of the stays were also exposed metal that could have cut into the sack. On contacting Woodlore they have explained that rubber protectors were part of the original design brief and had been approved. Unfortunately, they had been omitted from the first batch. Woodlore will be posting me a set of protectors and all future packs sent out will have them fitted.

Last edited:

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
and have offered a FULL refund on return of the pack. As Nonsuch has said, I cannot fault the customer service

It's good that they recognise this fact but they are not doing you ANY favours, these are your rights under the Distance Selling Regulations. Now, had they offered your some compensation or some form of recompense then THAT would be good customer service.

tony.robinson

Jun 8, 2013
Essex
"you can tell us even if Woodlore won't publish negative criticism!"

"A bit concerned that Woodlore are not posting up a review containing negatives on this item as they should. "

"It's good that they recognise this fact but they are not doing you ANY favours, these are your rights under the Distance Selling Regulations. Now, had they offered your some compensation or some form of recompense then THAT would be good customer service. "

Wow, so much nonsense written on this thread. Fact of the matter is that the reviews are online for the item concerned, and there is not a 100% approval rating for it. If Woodlore's ratings were not so high I'm sure there would be discussion of this on the forums, so nothing is being "massaged". Also, being a Woodlore customer for over 10 years I know that they offer refunds on everything if you are not satisfied, which is why I use them and why they are the number #1 bushcraft company in my opinion (and many others of course).

When I have an issue, I don't run to the forums and do immediate negative reviews, like many do on these forums. I take it up with the seller first and then based on that experience I then write a public review. Reviews help people, definitely, but only if they have the facts, and many commentators above just stir up matters without knowing the facts.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hello Tony and welcome to the forum. Folks just usually introduce themselves and don't rant on their first post. It's an interesting option though.

Hope you like it here, there's some great folk and opinions.

TTFN,
GB.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull

"A bit concerned that Woodlore are not posting up a review containing negatives on this item as they should. "

"It's good that they recognise this fact but they are not doing you ANY favours, these are your rights under the Distance Selling Regulations. Now, had they offered your some compensation or some form of recompense then THAT would be good customer service. "

Wow, so much nonsense written on this thread. Fact of the matter is that the reviews are online for the item concerned, and there is not a 100% approval rating for it. If Woodlore's ratings were not so high I'm sure there would be discussion of this on the forums, so nothing is being "massaged". Also, being a Woodlore customer for over 10 years I know that they offer refunds on everything if you are not satisfied, which is why I use them and why they are the number #1 bushcraft company in my opinion (and many others of course).

When I have an issue, I don't run to the forums and do immediate negative reviews, like many do on these forums. I take it up with the seller first and then based on that experience I then write a public review. Reviews help people, definitely, but only if they have the facts, and many commentators above just stir up matters without knowing the facts.

I notice you've chosen to ignore all the positive endorsements of Woodlore in this thread :confused:.

Welcome to the forum!

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset

Blimey....unusual first post!

Welcome to the forum...you'll find quite a lot of level headed, fair people here.

I'd be interested to know if you are the Tony Robinson, actor, because if you are I understand your attitude as i've met you before :aargh4:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
An unusual first post but none the less valid. Welcome Tony, poor old Ray gets a bit of a roasting by some on this forum I'm sad to say but ignore the miserable so and so's lol.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I think the OP posted the review to the forum as a lot of people have been showing an interest in this NEW product. It wasn't intended to be a criticism of woodlore but an eagerly awaited honest description of what the bag is like. If the product falls short (which it did) and the supplier can rectify it (which they also did) then in a review of a new product this should and has been communicated.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I think Woodlore have been painted in a very favourable light - they launched a new product and seem keen to address feedback on it which will enable them to produce an even better item. It's made me more likely to buy from them in future

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
The OP's review has been posted on Woodlore's site. Good to see a balance being shown.

I am always slightly suspicious when products are universally praised and garner 5-stars at every gushing review. It actually worries me as, nothing is perfect and everything could be improved, even if only slightly. I would rather see a review that states a product is generally fit for purpose but might be better if...

The OP has been open and honest about his purchase, his impressions, and the subsequent contact with Woodlore. At no point has he stated that he feels 'ripped off' or particularly unhappy about the way he has been treated. Frankly, I have always found Woodlore to be an excellent company to deal with - they may not be the cheapest but I have always experienced a good, reliable customer service.

Talk of 'legal rights' and 'compensation' are, perhaps, a little premature and unnecessary at this point...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE