Rabbit bone nicks on my TBS Boar

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
I can't believe I did that. Jointed a rabbit for tea with the above knife and, because of standing on one leg (New hip) and being impatient as well as stupid, I chopped 2 or 3 times at the rabbit leg bone. Result of course is that I now have a clearly nicked edge. Put it on a 240 grain whetstone and got rid of the 2 not so deep nicks!!! That took 40mins, guess I have to spend another 40mins tomorrow unless one of you guys comes up with a magical solution? K720 steel if that helps? Rabbit bones are that hard????

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
It's possible also that the bevel angle on your knife is just too shallow for bone.
That there isn't enough steel behind the edge to support it so it crumpled at points of impact.

I like to do most kitchen work with cleavers. The 4" x 6" little fellows are all 20 degrees.
Those 3 are for all the cutting/peeling and slicing tasks.
The "long dongs" are nearly 1/4" thick, beveled at 40 degrees and I can smash pork ribs with ease.

Yeah, you thrashed it. In my experience, you're only brave enough to do that once.
I wish you every success in the recovery.

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
Thanks for that bud. Bevel angle on those knives is more like 30°. After all, the blade is 4mm thick. And yes, I'll not be that impatient/brave again. Elbow grease it is for tomorrow !!

Reactions: Robson Valley

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
We learn as long as we live!
Many so called ’bushcrafter’ knives have very thin edges, as it is a selling point to be able to get a razor sharp edge you can shave your arm with.

While you are at it, change the angle.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Nah, a bone cleaver is not an instrument of finesse.
Buy a cheap fat beater of a blade at 40 degrees.
You're trying to split bone not skin a potato.

I watch. Bone cleavers are artificially expensive. That's a real pi$$er for new cooks.
You would just be as well off to use a hatchet and not waste the coin on a bone cleaver.
By tomorrow night, Sundowner might find this an attractive option.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
The TBS Boar is a fairly thick blade with a Scandi grind. It is therefore not a good choice for butchering small game. K720 is not a steel with high wear resistance (equivalent to O2, which for this discussion isn't significantly different from O1), there are many blade steels that would be far more time consuming to grind nicks out of. The problem is the single bevel which means that removing a nick requires a lot of metal to be removed.

240 grit is going to take a long time. For that sort of work you want 120 grit, 180 at the finest, premium bonded sand paper, not wet and dry, something made by 3M or Norton, but Wickes did some good stuff once (this is for UK based folk, no idea what you can get elsewhere). Masking tape, double sided tape and a flat surface, which could just be flat MDF. Stick down masking tape, stick down double sided, stick down abrasive paper. Get grinding, remove paper when it stops cutting and repeat. Masking tape will come off the base far easier than double sided will. It will make a nasty noise, that tells you you are cutting metal.

Don't change the bevel angle since that knife is meant for wood cutting and you will make it much less good for that if you steepen the bevel to more than 30 degrees. Instead, get yourself something else, cheap, to butcher game with. It could be a Mora, which has a single bevel, but you can convex them easily, or put a secondary bevel on, both of which make them easier to maintain.

I have used a cleaver to remove rabbit feet and head, but I find it far better to cut around the joints and break them than smash through the bone, which often results in bone shards winding up in my stew. The knife that is used is going to come into contact with bone, not to cut through the bone, but cutting tendons against it, so it will require sharpening. A flat grind, or shallow convex, will sharpen up much more easily and quicker than a fat Scandi. If you must cut bone, then a cheap heavy blade will do the job.

Good luck

Chris

Reactions: Sundowner
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
My friend managed to do exactly the same when preparing a rabbit with his convex ground Fallkniven s1 - i was very surprised at the time at the severity of the chips, but have since learnt that it is unfortunately par for the course....

Reactions: Sundowner

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I use the back of the blade technique to break bone in animals up to and including Roe deer size.
Clean the meat from the area of bone so it doesn't absorb any impact force.
hold the animal by the foot or end of the piece you want to break. use the joint to lock the leg extended and hold so all the weight is held by you not resting on a table. with a rabbit you can hold the entire animal like this. a deer will have to be jointed first. the more weight the better.
With the corner of the back of the blade hit the bone with a sharp smack. You may need to do this a few times to get it right.
By hitting it you create a small hairline fracture in the bone and the weight of the limb forces the fracture to fail completely therefore breaking the bone.
Done right the bone will break straight way.
Just cut through any tendons remaining and you are done.

Saves the knife edge and means you don't have to carry a meat cleaver into the field as well as everything else - if that's where you are prepping of course!

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
have never felt the need to pound on bone to break it with a knife, as mentioned above i push cut gently around the joint whilst separating it. bit like stipping cable without cutting the inner wire covering.
some knives have a false edge along the spine specifically for breaking bone without risking damaging your edge

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Lol:)
Glad i could help!

Mark177. i agree seperating the joint works well but sometimes i don't want the bone all the way to the joint. on those occasions i tap with the back of the knife

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Thanks for that info, I had no clue what that area was for.

Anybody know what the serrations some knives have are for?
useless to use as a saw, usually to short. No good on descaling a fish either.....

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Thanks for that info, I had no clue what that area was for.

Anybody know what the serrations some knives have are for?
useless to use as a saw, usually to short. No good on descaling a fish either.....
You got me thinking about the puma White hunter it has both a serrated section to cause a weak point and the bevelled spine to crack the bone, seems good knife too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE