Rabbit bone nicks on my TBS Boar

Billy-o

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
My friend managed to do exactly the same when preparing a rabbit with his convex ground Fallkniven s1 - i was very surprised at the time at the severity of the chips, but have since learnt that it is unfortunately par for the course....

Fallkies have a reputation for chipping before they are sharpened ... I have a bunch and, when new, they all dinged a little bit one way or another... no actual idea why, but I have guessed at the possibility of heat treating partly pre ground blanks allowing for a little brittleness .. or something :lol: Fallkies, are lovely things but eccentric, I've found.

I do find that new knives chip ... whether that is a function of their newness, preciousness, user failure or just sod's law, don't know that either

All part of the service :)

Reactions: Robson Valley

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
i always thought serrations in blades was to offer some extra 'grip' to be able to cut things that are more difficult to cut with a straight blade.
Rope is a good example.
you often find serrated blades on boat and diving knives as far as i know - i am neither

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
My brother is almost as old as me. He's been a scuba diver since he was 12.
He had to move to the Bahamas for diving. He's a veteran of some 400 tanks.
I buy some of his gear just for fun. He sends me pictures and video of some of his escapades.

So I asked him about the serrations on his diving knife.
He said just now that they are basically useless, that you couldn't even cut open a coconut with such a silly little strip.
He makes great use of his knife cutting up lunch. It holds a very good edge.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I do find that new knives chip ... whether that is a function of their newness, preciousness, user failure or just sod's law, don't know that either

All part of the service :)

I put 2 small chips in a new Spyderco Persistance doing light tasks in the garden. I was annoyed but they sharpened out easily enough and it hasn't chipped since so maybe you're onto something there.

Billy-o

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I picked up a Fallkie PHK second-hand last year. In fact, I think I knew before I bought it that it wasn't likely for me, but you never know. Anyway, when it showed up, it had clearly never been used. Still in the box with its bits of paper. It arrived just as I was moving house. So, I only got to take a glance at it really before having to pack it away. Just got round to looking at it again, recently. Now that the excitement and glamour has worn off, I am not so sure it isn't for me, after all. But, there is still enough doubt there :lol:

Usually, once I decide I am keeping a knife, I give it a wipe with some Scotchbrite and sharpen it. There's no question then. It's mine and I'm holding on to it. I feel that I had better come to some kind of decision about it soon :):)

Smaller than I was expecting. I think I thought it was going to be more like a butcher knife, even though I knew the dimensions and so forth. Point is that it is a trailie for butchering, but 5mm thick in a high Rc 3G. So, at some time, prying a joint or chopping a bone isn't going to be unlikely. Seems contradictory, but 3G (steel I have a great appreciation of, though not as much as regard as I have for VG10) is supposed to roll rather than chip .. even though I have never actually seen that.

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The PHK blade is about 5 inches / 13 cm?

I have one, and it is not to bad. Nice shape of the blade, butcher knife style.
But, as the rest of Fallkniven blades, to thick. Feels like a log to cut with.

I think they make them thick so you can not break them. I have always wondered how brittle the various steels ( powder tech?) are.

I would love if Fallkniven added a good Sandviken high Carbon steel to the line up. And made them maybe max 4.5mm at the spine (for a large knife)

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
Hi again guys, since i have a lot of time on my hands and still wanting to get that chip out of my tbs boar, i ordered a whetstone with 120 grit. It duly arrived and I had an afternoon on said oil stone. First i noticed that I had managed to get the smaller nick out of the edge. Unfortunately, the larger remains (see photo) but then I found to my horror that one bevel was broader. Now, even if i had worked only 1 side of the blade on a 120grit stone (something I never do!!!) the difference wouldn't be that much, or shouldn't/couldn't!!!
With my eternally sharp intellect I figured that
A) I didn't check the grind on both sides and
B) it wouldn't have been equal at the time of receiving it.
Now, whilst I don't think its a biggy, it still is an over £100 knife.
I'm thinking about having the knife re-grinded. But who? And if at all possible not too far from Northumberland?
Any id3as? Pretty please?
Many thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20180927_115353.jpg
    20180927_115353.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 13

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
First, eat some bacon.
Next, if this knife will continue to be a 'user,' ignore the chip. Which tomato is going to notice
after you have used that blade to whisk a few breakfast eggs into a scramble?

You will, eventually, sharpen the edge enough times that you will grind out that chip
and many others along the way. Just keep it clean enough to eat with.

Finish the bacon.

Reactions: Janne and Billy-o

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Serrated knives cut really well.
You have now a knife with one serration. It will cut well.

Irregular ground from factory? You did not notice it while you used it, so nothing to worry about.

The Japanese make knifes with the ultimate irregular edge grinds. The single bevel grind.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Hi again guys, since i have a lot of time on my hands and still wanting to get that chip out of my tbs boar, i ordered a whetstone with 120 grit. It duly arrived and I had an afternoon on said oil stone. First i noticed that I had managed to get the smaller nick out of the edge. Unfortunately, the larger remains (see photo) but then I found to my horror that one bevel was broader. Now, even if i had worked only 1 side of the blade on a 120grit stone (something I never do!!!) the difference wouldn't be that much, or shouldn't/couldn't!!!
With my eternally sharp intellect I figured that
A) I didn't check the grind on both sides and
B) it wouldn't have been equal at the time of receiving it.
Now, whilst I don't think its a biggy, it still is an over £100 knife.
I'm thinking about having the knife re-grinded. But who? And if at all possible not too far from Northumberland?
Any id3as? Pretty please?
Many thanks in advance

Just us it and next time it needs sharpening do most of the work on the narrower bevel. It'll start to even out over time if you're mindful of it. A refrains will just be a waste of steel for you.

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
Ah, Robson and Janne, you two really show up my OTT attitude. But I do have to agree even though my fists are clenched and my teeth are grinding. :rolleyes:
For some irrational reason, due to my ancient, very much befuddled brain, I, (do I dare say it?) love this knife. I find myself holding it at 1am just before I go to bed, admiring the curly birch handle and marvel about the weight, style and sheer beauty of this knife.
But, all being considered. It is what it is, and i have to thank you two for putting my feet firmly back onto terra firma. ;):) (Including crutches!!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE