Rab Clothing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
I am looking at buying a new lightweight general use jacket and have stumbled across the Rab Drillium Jacket. This seems pretty suitable for what i want, just never really heard of this brand before.

Sure afew of you will have done though, what are you opinions?

Cheers.

Dan

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Rab make excellent (but expensive) gear. I would think they are better known for their down clothing and sleeping bags. I have had a rab duvet jacket for about 10 years and its still going strong.

You wont go far wrong for sure.

Andy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I used to have a down bag many moons ago but it got nicked along with the then girlfriends car. Never tried the clothes but I`ve looked at a few and they look like nice gear.

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
I've got my eye on the Drillium aswell, I have heard the eVENT fabric is the canines genitals!

Apparently, those in the know have switched to the eVent based fabric, as it performs better than Goretex. I had a Rab down jacket for years until it was nicked in Norway of all places, and it was excellent, luxuriously warm kit.

Scrogger is right tho', well expensive but ya gets what ya pay for! I own a NF down jkt now and I don't think it is as good as my old Rab.

Can't go wrong with Rab as long as you can hack the price.

Craeg ;)

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Dougsters brother used to work for Rab and the word in the hills is they are aiming more for the 'Street wear' market now. Rab have always had a good rep in the outdoors community and i've not heard anything bad about their products, but it looks like it's going down the Berghaus/TNF route. Not saying it's a bad thing, just what i've heard.:rolleyes:

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Good stuff Rab. Made for climbing so check the sizing (ie not too generous). Rab Carrington's a very serious mountaineer and his company is a reflection of this. Highly recommended (though I'm not connected to the company in any way).

Claudiasboris

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Some of the stuff is carp, but the jackets are great - they are made for British climbers though, so shoulders and paunch allowed for.

I have a powershield soft shell from Rab and it's absolutely brilliant. eVent is also my waterproof of choice.

I'd go for it.

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
Cheers guys! seems like i wont be dissapointed then! are you saying that they are of a slim fit? i am very slim so this could suit me to a tee!

Dan

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I used to have a rab down jacket i got rid of it a few years ago my problem was it was to short in the sleeve(sat above my wrists) fitted me fine everywhere else, im tall but not overly(6'-3in) so i dont know if thats a issue.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Just inspect it very carefully before you buy- Rab has retired and sold the business on and manufacturing is now in China, not Sheffield as it was. There have been one or two stories of build quality not being 100%- but that should not put you off, Rab is solid well designed kit intended to take some hammer. I have several Rab items and all are excellent hard wearing kit- like the man said, you gets what you pays for.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Good stuff Rab. Made for climbing so check the sizing (ie not too generous). Rab Carrington's a very serious mountaineer and his company is a reflection of this. Highly recommended (though I'm not connected to the company in any way).

Claudiasboris

I have had mine 10 years its shrunk though, or perhaps ive grown nooooooooo it cant be I blame the jacket!! ;)

Jiffy

Jun 28, 2008
Edinburgh
I'll second what bigbear said. Since Rab Carrington sold the company to Equip, most of the manufacturing has gone to China and there's been a number of comments on UKClimbing about problems with stuff. I haven't heard too many comments about their eVent jackets though and my Rab Latok Alpine seems fine.

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
my rab gilet is older and an ace bit of kit. my jacket is more recent and it is noticable that the zipper is of poor quality compared with the gilets.I still like the jacket for its fit and value for money but may pay a seamstress if i can find one to upgrade the zipper to a more substantial one.

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
my local outdoor shop (the legendry open spaces to anyone in sussex) told me recently that they have stopped stocking rab as they have had a company change and rab for one thing now are using down from china which is not great for two main reasons the first being china has a terrible record for animal welfare and the second that china down just doesnt match up to european down.

i had a rab jacket i had wanted one for years and finaly i had one - i was so disapointed within a few months it began to start pissing the down also the cuffs which were velcro tended to rub on the jacket as you walked and eventually started to wear through the material.

the zip was a nightmare always getting stuck which is annoying at best and at worse can lead to safety issues if its real cold .

all in all if i had not lost the receipt it would of gone back .
in the end i just binned it i couldnt even face keeping it for just real rough woodland use the zip was far too annoying for even that.

my thought is now that a hig quality down body warmer is best used
but i would never touch a rab again

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Yup. No doubt- Pete Hutchinson is the man, was the force behind Mountain Equipment for years, I have down gilet by PHD, it is the business.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE