Chest Packs - Helikon-Tex Numbat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
There are many You Tube reviews online, so I won't reiterate it all here: the thing seems well made and robust. Early days, but also seems comfortable and easy to use with a rucksack. There is a removeable section which includes a small map pocket, and most people apparently do remove this: I probably will also do this. It is held in by unneccessary and very complicated clips with velcro tab as well.
Also the front outside pockets are pretty useless and I would prefer one larger pocket across the front; it would be easier to get at things instead of fiddling just with your thumb and forefinger?
Chest packs can be incredibly versatile and useful for all sorts of activities, walking, dog training, hiking and bushcraft of course: I find mine very handy in the canoe, where various sundries can be accessed without leaning up to and going through the rucksack or clothing pockets?
All stitching seemed neat and good, but mine arrived without the tensioning cord that allows the pack to open but at right angles, so everything doesn't fall out when worn. Ten minutes and I had this sorted with some paracord and a clip, to allow adjustment.
I was going to return it to Amazon because of this, but bearing in mind my delivery had gone through some amazing travel ( THREE Amazon outlets in USA!!) before it touched the Atlantic: I couldn't bring myself to go through that again!

PROs: General quality
Versatile
Comfortable
CONs: Quality control (PDI checking)
Marginal strap length
Expensive, well I think this one is...more so on Amazon!!
-if I had to pay full price as listed (I had loads of gift vouchers!) I would probably give it a miss on price alone?

Last edited:

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Sounds good. You said it was OK in the canoe, do you think it would work for cycling also?
Absolutly yes. I wear my Numbat as edc-bag and therefore also when biking.

Added two small pouches. One for creditcard and ID-card, so I don´t have to open main bag every time I need to pay for something. Other small pouch contain a couple of small flashlights.

Last edited:

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
I think the manufacture is actually in the far east? Might be wrong......
I don't recall seeing a tag from Asia on mine. The build quality on my gear from them is consistent with Camelbak Military and London Bridge Tactical even though they don't cost nearly as much as similar products from those two companies.

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
Just checked the label in some of the clothes I have from Helikon and they are sewn in the far east, Vietnam and China to be specific. I am very happy with the quality and workmanship and buy loads of their stuff.

Sent from underground

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
Just checked the label in some of the clothes I have from Helikon and they are sewn in the far east, Vietnam and China to be specific. I am very happy with the quality and workmanship and buy loads of their stuff.

Sent from underground
Most clothing is sewn in Asia or the Pacific Rim no matter the brand for common items found in the retail chain.

Only when you see specific requirements like the Berry Amendment in the USA do you find things like clothing made domestically. I still remember the controversy over US Solidiers being issued berets made in China! :rofl:

Reactions: Minotaur

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE