Quick legal Q

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rich.H

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2010
N.Ireland
I'm aware that to use a rod on rivers & lakes in the uk I have to have a rod license and permits etc. But are the hobo style lines or such allowed to be used?

In short I'm after a legal means to catch fish in freshwater without a license, I've very strong opinions on the whole sport fishing issue which I won't go into. When I fish I like to catch my intended amount of fish in as short a time possible by the most cost effective way. But obviously I do not wish to find myself foul of the law and I'm not willing to try and do any stealth fishing taking chances.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
The only legal way to catch freshwater fish in the UK is with a rod and having a fishing licence.

Hobo lines, gill nets etc are banned. You can use hobo lines in tidal waters however

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'm not an expert but in Scotland the laws are laid out as follows HERE. Don't need a Government licence but need owners permission/permit. Must use a rod and line, though further restrictions can apply. Used to use Hobo style and throw out lines but only in salt water.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
drape the handline over a stick,then legally its a rod as the only definition in law of a rod is it must be over 3 foot long. still need a rod license and permisssion to fish. sea is a different story.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Here's an old post of Netfrog's about free fishing in Scotland
I don't know about the law's south of the Boarder though.

After an excellent weekend wild camping and fishing over at Loch Lochy where I ate loads of trout :D I am trying to find out what other lochs in Scotland are available for free fishing, there seems to be a lot of debate on what "Free fishing" is but regardless of that there certainly seem to be places where you can strike out with a rod no problem at all. However finding a list of such places is nigh on impossible.

So far I have:

Loch Lochy in the Great Glen - Confirmed FREE
Loch Doon in S.W. Scotland - Confirmed FREE
Loch Skeen in S. Scotland - Confirmed FREE
Loch Ba on Rannoch Moor - Confirmed FREE
Loch Treig W. Scotland - Confirmed FREE
Mill Loch and Kirk Loch at Lochmaben Confirmed FREE
Lochrutton Loch at Lochfoot Confirmed FREE
Loch Arthur near Beeswing - Confirmed FREE
Lochindorb - confirmed FREE.
Loch Etive, glencoe

A search on "no permit required" on the welcome to Scotland site brings the following results for free fishing in Scotland

http://www.welcometoscotland.com/search?q=no+permit+required&nm_search_go.x=0&nm_search_go.y=0

Anyone have any others they can contribute?

Cheers

Last edited:

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
if you are thinking of taking fish for the pot you would be ''removing'' those fish regardless of any method used to catch them and ''removal'' of fish is covered by seperate regulations as to ''fishing'' for fish, indeed certain species of fish can be ''fished'' for but not ''removed''. Many fish are ''stocked'' fish stocked at considerable expense by the controlling body of that water and i doubt if they would be overjoyed at someone removing those fish for free however they catched them. (from someone who enjoys sport fishing very much and has equally strong opinions), the only place i believe you can catch and remove fish without a licence is tidal areas in SOME places by SOME methods for SOME fish, there is regional differences hence the emphasis on ''SOME''

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Loch XXXXXX One of my favorite :fishing: spots.

And to quote a local tourist guide.

"Brown Trout, Ferox Trout, Rainbow Trout, Pike.About 12 miles north of xxxxxxx. There is no permit required for fishing on Loch xxxxx. Traditionally a good loch for wild Brown Trout but escaped Rainbow Trout can also be found in the loch as well as good sized Pike. Any( and quite right to Joonsy ) Any" lega" method of fishing is allowed but spinning is favored from the shore while fly fishing is better from the boat. Trolling from the boat is most successful for large Brown Trout and Ferox Trout up to 20lb in weight."

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE