Burradon pond

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
E

edwred

Hi,
I want to find some perch fishing venues around the river Tyne . I already know burradon pond is stocked with carp but Carp fishing bores me. I want to lure fish for perch there. Has anyone fished here?
Also, I have a 10ft 10-60g spinning rod. What cheapo lures can people reccomend for perch in ponds?

Reactions: Poacherman

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Hi,
I want to find some perch fishing venues around the river Tyne . I already know burradon pond is stocked with carp but Carp fishing bores me. I want to lure fish for perch there. Has anyone fished here?
Also, I have a 10ft 10-60g spinning rod. What cheapo lures can people reccomend for perch in ponds?
Dunno about fishing where you are, but I highly recommend F F S lures. They're fantastic for all pred fishing and very well priced. No affiliation.

* it stands for 'Floating Finesse Stick, not what you thought!

Reactions: Decacraft
E

edwred

AGM lure fishing has some bucktail jigs for a pound that say they are good for trout and perch, weighing in at 10g

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
Hi,
Small spinners size 2! perch don't like chasing lures in cold water Ondex spinners are designed to spin at very slow retrieves curly tail grubs are good aswell. Lure fishing is a mine field and most lures are designed to catch anglers wallets not fish but those 2 lures are universal.

Reactions: edwred
E

edwred

Aye but maybe my rod is too heavy to effectively use these lures???
I don't know how else to fish for perch and trout other than float or leger
There's not 1 like magical lure that can catch all sea and freshwater preds over 10g is there lol
Maybe white curl tail 3 inches 10g Cheb head??
I dunno

Sent from my Nokia 4.2 using Tapatalk

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
There's not 1 like magical lure that can catch all sea and freshwater preds over 10g is there lol
I dunno

No you need diff sized lures for diff fish pike like big 40 gram spoons

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
I use a 5-15g for perch and jack pike, usually use the zman soft plastics with a 1 or 1/0 hook rigged on a 5g cherabuska weight. I find the weedless setup bouncing on the bottom gives me a much better success rate.

I use a 'bfs' style setup- shimano alderbaran baitcaster - 10/12lb braid onto a fluro leader or wire trace if there's a risk of pike and a majorcraft benkei rod

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
I use a 5-15g for perch and jack pike, usually use the zman soft plastics with a 1 or 1/0 hook rigged on a 5g cherabuska weight. I find the weedless setup bouncing on the bottom gives me a much better success rate.

I use a 'bfs' style setup- shimano alderbaran baitcaster - 10/12lb braid onto a fluro leader or wire trace if there's a risk of pike and a majorcraft benkei rod
You don't need £300 reels to catch fish the fish only care what lure or bait is on the line lol .Im guessing your setup is near £500 this muddies the waters for people asking for advice.

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
I dunno

Iff that's all you have use it make the best off what u have\can afford .Youl still catch iff you need a decent light lure spinning rod the Mitchell epic mx1 is high quality and only £30

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
You don't need £300 reels to catch fish the fish only care what lure or bait is on the line lol .Im guessing your setup is near £500 this muddies the waters for people asking for advice.

You don't need to spend what I have, and sorry i wasnt suggesting you do if it came across that way i didnt mean to. You can pick up a perfectly adequate setup for much less drom the likes of needhams tackle or aliexpress (there's a few youtubers who i have seen that have great success with aliexpress kit)

You can still pick up a light/medium light spinning outfit with a lower casting weight for around £50 or less and a few quid on some hooks and soft plastics.

I use lures in the river for trout fishing as I'm wading and can normally recover a snagged lure, but for anything else I prefer the soft plastic approach and weedless setup as I find I don't loose end tackle and the rig can easily be changed if needed.

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
You don't need to spend what I have, and sorry i wasnt suggesting you do if it came across that way i didnt mean to. You can pick up a perfectly adequate setup for much less drom the likes of needhams tackle or aliexpress (there's a few youtubers who i have seen that have great success with aliexpress kit)

You can still pick up a light/medium light spinning outfit with a lower casting weight for around £50 or less and a few quid on some hooks and soft plastics.

I use lures in the river for trout fishing as I'm wading and can normally recover a snagged lure, but for anything else I prefer the soft plastic approach and weedless setup as I find I don't loose end tackle and the rig can easily be changed if needed.
Get a Mitchell epic mx1 there £30 light lure rods you won't be disappointed in them I assure u.

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
Hi,
Yeh Carp fishing is pants big fat domesticated fed fish with pot bellies as far from wild fish\fishing as it gets.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Yeh Carp fishing is pants big fat domesticated fed fish with pot bellies as far from wild fish\fishing as it gets.
Really, we have proper wildies at the ponds i look after, no big fat bellies there, just lean, mean fighting machines with genetics that go back centuries to the time of the introduction of the species for food at the monasteries. There is nothing bigger than about 6lb if you are lucky, but fight like a possessed thing. But yup most carp ponds are full of big ol' plodders with boilie bellies and pet names as they have been caught so often. And no i'm not a carp fisherman.

Last edited:
E

edwred

so boring too! 4 hrs tying a rig they could have used a running leger for. then select a bait.
you dont need a "carp rod". medium spinning will do fine.

E

edwred

pitch the tent, mix the baits, drag the 4 rods down, set up bed, radio, table chairs then rods and rod alarms. Carefully select a rig and bait ........

I think everyone should be able to like what they do without judgement, but yeah I don't like catching the commercials pet carp for its 4 thousandth time

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE