Quick cheap pocket stove to make

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
That's a good site too Bear. Nice one. :super: I'll try some of those out over the next few weeks.
When I get round to posting some photos I'll put some up of an oil lamp made from a couple of beer cans. I learnt it from a chap in the Green craft field at Glastonbury this year. I've made about 15 now. I really like the idea of making stoves/lamps etc from old food and drink cans

Cheers :wave:

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
falling rain,

would like to see your oil lamp. I have been playing around with a version similar to the lakeland green oil lamp but havent quite managed to get a decent lamp yet.
I find it difficult to get a decent oil container that wont leak and a globe/windshield that wont melt.

Cheers

JFW

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
No probs JFW. I'll do a step by step photo tutorial. My camera is currently in Kenya though with my son who's visiting for a holiday, so It'll have to be next week when he gets back. You only need 2 beer cans and the base of one is used as a reflector. A lot easier to do the photo tutorial than explain in words, but I'll try and get it posted next week.

Cheers :wave:

Gravo

Apr 5, 2006
Oslo, Norway
Had a go at making mad dave's pocket stove last night, excellent idea btw!

However, it took me quite a while to drip candle wax into the cardboard so (being an impatient b*gger) what I did instead was to shave off a load of wax into the empty tin. I then gently heated the tin on a low heat on the cooker. Then, when the wax reached liquid form I slid my piece of rolled up cardboard into the tin. Then carefully take it off the hob to cool and job done. Now I'm just looking forward to brewing up with it :)

Cheers, Gravo

benjamin.oneill

Forager
Jan 31, 2006
East Sussex, UK
leon-1 said:
Let us know how you get on with the travel sweet tin, I have loads of them at home.

just to continue the theme of vatiations on the theme....

I've just made a midget one in the tin vaseline comes in (another handy thing to have out and about anyway) it just about boiled a mug... handy spare or for a mornings walk i suppose and truly pocket sized, about the size of a tealight but kept in a handy tin, brighter and hotter.

will post pics in a sec... if i can get them to work!

Ben

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
I've just made 2 of these. Great idea. I used empty maya dust tins, they work a treat. I made the cardboard a little thinner (10mm) than the depth of the tin, so you can stand a mug on the tin edges whilst the flames heat the mug. Cheers Dave. :You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE