Quick cheap pocket stove to make

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
This stove costs virtually nothing to make and needs no special skill.

Items needed:
1 old shoe polish tin
1 Pr scissors
1 old bit of cardboard
1 candle

(Click any image for larger view)

Step 1. Cut your old bit of cardboard 'across the grain' into strips about 2mm thicker than the rim of the shoe polish tin and roll it into a spiral untill you have a disc of cardboard the same size as the tin, then place the whole lot in the tin.

Then light your candle and drip the hot wax all over the cardboard untill it's really soaked.

Make sure that there is plenty of wax in the tin, but not so much as to cover the top of the cardboard, like this.

When this is done simply light your stove and cook away !!

To extinguish the cooker, simply drop the lid over the top and allow to cool.

The cooker can be used 5 or 6 times before a recharge of wax is needed and when cool there is no smell or risk of contaminating any of your kit.

After a while the cardboard will become a bit tatty but you simply cut some more strips, wax it up and off you go again. No moving parts to go wrong either :biggthump

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
another Great one from maddave.. :biggthump :You_Rock_ im not a big fan of stoves in general, and i have meths.. but this one i am certainly going to try! how have you found it under pots.. i would guess it makes them very sooty!

are we to call it "the maddave stove" or something more original than that!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
These are good little stoves, although cooking on them can be a bit challenging as they don't get all that hot. I've never had a name for them but my mates call them buddy burners, no idea why :?: I've made a few from tuna tins and soup tins. One good thing about them is that after you've had them alight and put them out they will light again from a firesteel which makes them easy to use, more than anything I use them as a big candle, they can get sooty but it's not a big deal.

I think that Daves Idea of a shoe polish tin is fantastic, a complete self contained unit due to the top fitting on properly. :biggthump

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
They'd be good as snow hole warmers!

I have a bigger version which I bought - called an instant campfire, it comes in a galvanised bucket!!

Nightfall

Forager
Sep 2, 2004
Nothren Califorina
I just made one. Alittle differnt though. I didnt have a shoe polish can so I used a tuna can. Works great. A bit a tinder in the center and it burns great. Thanks for the tip.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Great idea.

As Tony mentioned, these things don't get very hot.

But I remember from my Scouting days, that one good reason for carrying a nightlight (or tealight) candle in your pack, is that you can use it as a re-usable firelighter for conditions where you can't find dry tinder. This Polish Stove could be used in the same way.

Build a small altar fire, with a big enough opening along one side to put the candle (or Polish stove) inside, and get it out again.

On the platform of the fire, put some tinder and kindling, and use the candle or stove to heat up and dry out and ignite the tinder. Once it's got going, you can remove the candle/stove. You add bigger pieces of kindling to the platform, which burns awy and falls inside the fire to form hot coals.

Keith.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Mad Dave. I tried this burner last night with the Air Cadets and very impressed they were too. Mine burnt for 18 minutes. Boiled a large mug of water for a brew. Nice one.... Thanks :super:

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Thanks for the basic idea MadDave

made a version of this using a coke can with the top cut off and a cotton wool "wick" to give light at our "bushcraft bonfire-night" camp fire cooking session. Worked very well, gave far more light than garden candles, and only use about an inch of wax out of the can over the course of about 3 hours.
Took quite some time to cool down enough for the wax to re set after use though. More variations in the pipeline, I've particularly got my eye on a travel sweet tin.

Cheers,

Dave

mmcniven

Forager
Nov 1, 2003
Paisley
Just made one using an old Air Gun pellet tin, perfect for the job and works really well.
Thanks for the info on the burner.

Mike

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE