Question about self inflating kip mats

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

malcolmc

Forager
Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
I’m looking for a bit of comfort in my old age and thought these self inflating mat thingies may offer more comfort than the celluar foam types.

I don’t know a lot about these mats but I’m trying to find out how reliable they are in use. My first concern is how robust the material itself is; what sort of life should you expect. None of the retail suppliers I’ve visited knew the answer to this for any of their products. The second is the reliability of the valve. The ones I’ve been shown to date are all plastic and not servicable if they fail, if the valve fails you have to buy a complete new mat. (One of the valves fell apart in the salesperson's hand; it doesn’t give you a lot of confidence if that’s how the new ones behave.:eek: )

Does any one know how this type of mat stands up to field use and if there are any types available with a metal and/or servicable valve. Recommendations would be appreciated. I’m hoping to get something this weekend.

Many thanks all.

jonquirk

Tenderfoot
Sep 24, 2007
Guildford
I have Therm-a-rest mats. The two oldest ones date back to 1996. I've never had a puncture or a valve problem.

EDIT: So far!

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Get yerself down to Alpkit, i have three of their mats 2 x wee Airic & 1x slim Airic and they are comfy, cheap and bombproof (in my experience) http://www.alpkit.com/airic/

No affiliation yada yada yada

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've been using one of these since 2005, its done about 40 weekends I guess
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3400906/Trail/searchtext>CAMPING.htm

At £15 its great value and well made. Its not as light as the Thermarest brand, but then, its not costing you £60. As to repairing valves? No idea, but doubt it. A mates Thermarest valve jammed at a recent camp and he gave up on it after spending a couple of hours working on it (in its defense though, it had done several years problem free camping)

I like these mats, they do a great job and are a lot better (for me at least) than the foam mats. That said, when I upgrade later this year to a Big Horn II or Tundra 8, I'm switching to camp beds and the mats will stay with my Hex 3 camping system

malcolmc

Forager
Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
I was down at Endicott’s at the weekend. I really needed to choose a mat from what they had in stock at the time. When for the Dutch army version of Termarest. Exactly the size I was after, with a metal valve and under 1Kg with its stuff sack.

Tried it out Saturday night and discovered what I’ve been missing. I would recommend these mats as far as comfort is concerned.:)

Thanks all for the input; it reassured me they are reliable before purchase.

stickbow

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2006
Northampton England
Hi There
I have been using a therma rest for the last 20 years never had a problem with it, on rough ground I lay it on a poncho, never had a leak or puncture and I can recomend them.

Failing that get a hammock they are even more comfortable.

"Have fun shoot a stick"

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
Has anyone ever used one of these:
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/a200-self-inflating-17405957/

It's from Decathlon and only costs £9.95 (~1kg).
They have a lighter and shorter version which comes in at 380g for £17.95 and a longer 570g version for £24.95.

They also stock the Thermarest Prolite (730g) but it is £59!

So the question is... do you get what you pay for with the Thermarest kit or can I get away with a cheapy for occaisional use?

Cheers,
Steve

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
Mine, and I love it: http://www.rvops.co.uk/sleeping-cooking-76/sleeping-systems-28/multimat-length-1538.html
or the full length version:
http://www.rvops.co.uk/sleeping-cooking-76/sleeping-systems-28/multimat-full-length-1539.html

Never had a problem either with cuts / tears or the valve, it's had some abuse too; forest floors, being baked, frozen, used on ice. The outer skin on it is pretty tough stuff.
Not come across one with metal / replaceable valves but I'd be interested to hear if you do. I'm most afraid of puncturing mine at some point, therefore I carry a length of gaffer tape wrapped around a bit of plastic in the bag with it

malcolmc

Forager
Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
Do you mind if we ask how much the mat cost you, i burned my vango mat so need a replacement.

At the weekend the price range was £20 - £25; I was buying a bit of other stuff and got a deal on the total. One thing you do get with Endicotts is they take the time to test the mats thoroughly, worth having with surplus (used) kit.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
When I'm not travelling ultralight, I use a combination of a normal, full length foam mat and an Alpkit Wee Airic. The combo weighs roughly the same as a full length thermarest, but is much more versatile and has built in redundancy, as well as being about as comfy as things get on hard ground without resorting to airbeds.

Cheers, Michael.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE