Proud of this one... axe mask

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Was going to wait until I got some press studs but then remembered I still had the brass hardware from a dog collar that broke a few weeks ago. Used some of the leather I was given and made an axe mask this evening, from 3mm veg tan leather:

e057036a.jpg

de677a64.jpg

70c530d1.jpg

It turned out pretty well and is certainly better than the camping mat/duct tape affair I had before! Axe handle still needs a bit of work but I'm dead chuffed and proud to show this off

Last edited:

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Thanks for all the comments. Worried about it drying out & cracking so will source some neatsfoot oil & protect it

Only took a couple of hours to make - need to make one for my other axe now!

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Axe needs a sharpen or a strop - there's a burr on one side but at least once it's sharp I can carry/store it safely

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I basically followed this tutorial with a tip from here on how to fit the welt (making a small hole/slit in the folded bit) rather than just cutting it short. Gave it a slight wet moulding once stitched but due to the shape of the axe blade, it's not possible to make it as snug as a knife sheath.

The thread is linen that I waxed myself with beeswax and the holes were drilled with a 1mm bit because I bent my brand new awl blade trying to force it through 9mm of leather!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE