Axe Mask

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
House bound today while the jeep was in for service, so decided to finally get around to knocking up a simple leather axe mask for my side axe, to replace the plastic milk bottle and duct tape version !

Quite pleased with the result, 2.5mm veg tan leather, saddle stitched down the welt, should keep it nice and sharp and my fingers safe !

Could have made it prettier/fancier if I'd spent more time on it, but just wanted something functional and safe that leaves the back of the axe head freefor banging in pegs, posts or whatever.
77b844e820f1cf919e4e940feb9abcc6.jpg
1361828466b38be7be6881c7ae21972e.jpg

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Great. May I please crib your design?
I can see how I could change it a little for an elbow adze.
Can I imagine that it's one folded piece and one rown of stitching?

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Of course you may RV :)

I've seen similar online before so quite a common approach I think.

Yes, single piece, as you described, with the addition of a welt glued in place before sewing together. I find the glue holds it all well while sewing and saves any unepected movement and mistakes. The welt protects the stitching from the sharp axe edge.

Can be easiest to figure the shape and size with a piece of paper first and then use as a pattern on the leather.

If the leather is thick and difficult to bend, as this was, you can remove a little from the inside of the creases to make it more flexible. Easiest with a special grooving tool that I used to seat the stitching below the surface too, but could be done with a sharp knife with care.

Let us see some pics if you do get around to it :)

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Paulm: Thank you. I'll make one from stiff card stock as a pattern. I need several sizes.
There's a good leather worker (saddles etc) down the road who needs the work.
I will go see him in spring.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE