Prototype cheap non stick pan

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

benjy

Tenderfoot
Dec 29, 2010
Swindon
Following on from the small alcohol stoves I made at explorers last week, I've started prototyping a cheap and simple non-stick frying pan.

The aim is to build a usable little cook set, and each task is designed to have a follow up in order to focus the kids on putting in the effort to make things properly. An extremely popular night with our lot is pancake day, so the stoves are to be used for that and my orginal plan was to use the aluminium billy lid frying pans. A quick test showed this was a nightmare to cook pancakes on so I started tinkering.

Came up with this: Non-stick sandwich tin from asda, 89p and bit of metal coat hanger. Very rough bends and holes as I was being lazy and not getting my proper tools out. I think it has potential, will test it and let you know how it goes.

20130130_230237 (800x600).jpg

20130130_230405 (800x600).jpg

20130130_230516 (800x600).jpg

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Good thinking Benjy. If you make the holes in the lip of the pan instead of in the side you will be able to to cook runny stuff without it leaking out.
Like this...

cakepan_zpsd2bfaaf5.jpg

benjy

Tenderfoot
Dec 29, 2010
Swindon
Bilmo,

great idea will be using that. Should have thought of it myself, but drilled holes before I thought about it properly.

Will have another go tonight and update.

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Coln18 used one of those very same tins to his fry up breakfast in last weekend at Loch Etive and it worked just fine ,, I like your idea with the handle, but I think the idea that Bilmo-p5 came up with is the way to go Ps might try this myself as its a lot lighter than a real frying pan

benjy

Tenderfoot
Dec 29, 2010
Swindon
If I had those things I would. I just tested the idea on the pan I already drilled in case I made more errors.

Given my predilection for mistakes, I tend to buy 2 of everything when it comes to projects (money allowing!). Now I know what I'm aiming for I'll start on a fresh pan and have one to use.

Next stage is testing cooking pancakes.

benjy

Tenderfoot
Dec 29, 2010
Swindon
Yep pot grip or even pliers on multitool would be a more readily available solution, but this was looking at making cooksets with explorer scouts. I know it would be easier to buy things and possibly not that much more expensive, but I'm attempting to use this to teach them some practical skills, engineering and to get them to take ownership and have pride in something they make.

My hope is that they will appreciate the kit more if they make it and maintain it, than just buying a ready made solution and replacing it when it breaks.

Thanks,

Ben

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE