possible meet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Hi CBJ, not going to make this one. Have got a weekend pass for the Wilderness Gathering which is on that same weekend. Sorry about that but well done for organising, I know what it's like. Have fun and I'll hope to make it to another one sometime.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
andy_e, No worries mate mabey next time, have a good time at the gathering.

About bringing other things than your kit, As this will be my first meet I hope we can sort out enough thing to keep us amused. I will be bringing a tin and a pile of cotton to cook up some char for us all .Also I have made up a couple of drill sets to have a play around with.

If anybody wants to bring something to do around the fire that would be great.

We are allowed to collect any dead wood for the fire but I will be bringing some with me aswell.

In regards to a group cook I have no problems with that and I will leave that up to you guys if you want it . Just let me know so I can bring some ingredients for the pot.

Craig

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Forgot to mention if you can bring a belt or a strop along so you can use it for the sharpening lesson.

Thanks

Craig

Last edited:

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Out of interest what are you all planning to bring??? Tent , bivvi, hammock

I havent decided yet on whether to pack my HH or the 2 man tent.

windward

Forager
Sep 28, 2006
Edinburgh
I'll be at the Wilderness Gathering so going to miss this meet up...shame as I've not been out for ages.

Out of interest I'll be going to the ceilidh at Comrie Croft on the weekend of the 16th/17th Oct http://www.comriecroft.com/eventscourses.html I'll start a separate post for anyone interested in coming along for the weekend. The ceilidh is on the Sat night and on Sunday theres the Hairy Coo mountain bike race is anyone is interested. No need to take part in anything...just come along for a weekend out.

Vince

charleslockerbie

Jul 9, 2006
Aberdeen
Will be bringing my bivi and my hammock, not sure what i will sleep in, only slept in the hammock once to find out my tarp in A frame its too short. Might treat myself to a new toy or two for the meet (any suggestions).

Dingus Magee

Loitering within tent
Nov 22, 2008
Darkest Aberdeenshire
Out of interest what are you all planning to bring??? Tent , bivvi, hammock

I havent decided yet on whether to pack my HH or the 2 man tent.

I'm going to take a tarp and hammock, but I will also have a tent that I've recently bought on here and have never had the opportunity of trying out yet; but it'll be a case of bung it up to see what it's like, then take it down and use the hammock...unless it blows up a hooly, of course ;) For that matter, I will also bring along a couple of tents that I am trying to sell...I'll be posting them as 'for sale' on here after the Mintlaw Meet, so if anyone is interested they'll get a chance to see them before I post them (typical Aiberdonian, trying to save on postage lol)

DM ;)

Last edited:

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Looks like Ill take both to be on the safe side

windward : never mind mate mabey next time , have a good time

Dingus: lol

Charleslockerbie: What kind of thing are you after mate, I have heard a lot of good input for the dd tarps (might be worth a look). A Kelly kettle or something similar. All depends on what you need and will get good use out of.

Ill be going down to Aden on Wednesday to have a better scrunt around and look for the best places and see how much deadfall is around.

Also if none of you mind Ill try and bag us a couple of bunnies the night before we go for the pot.

Can anybody think of anything else I have missed ?? . I dont want to turn up and relise I havent done something important

Dingus Magee

Loitering within tent
Nov 22, 2008
Darkest Aberdeenshire
I've no probs with eating Brer Rabbit. And I can vouch for the DD hammocks and tarp...good service, good products, and a Scottish company too :) If anyone has a Kelly kettle or similar, I'd be glad of the opportunity to see one work....as an evaluation thing y'know. Might be a chance of a trade, maybe...?

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Oh, rabbit-always wanted to see if I had the stomach to prep one.... Like the idea of using this abundant food source more!

I was planning on taking my hammock and as yet unused under blanket, as well as a wee tent, but if the forecast is poor, I have a lavuu I could bring as a group shelter thing if that's any use?

Really looking forward to the weekend....

Kp

charleslockerbie

Jul 9, 2006
Aberdeen
Bunnies sound good, never tried them but meat is for winners. Its a DD hammock so a DD tarp would make sense, just a little annoyed at myself having to buy another tarp. Dont have the need for a kettle, im weird because i don't drink hot drinks. Really don't know what i want.

Looking forward to this very much.

Ps just call me charles, chaz, charlie no need to be formal.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Im glad the weather looks to be fine makes things more enjoyable. Its a pity you couldnt stay on kilted pict but like Dingus said mabey a future meet nearer you would give you the chance.

Just to mention the knots needed for the tarp setting up etc are:

a Round Turn and Two Half Hitches;
the Adjustable Guy Rope Knot;
two Evenk reindeer herder knots;
and, if suitable branches can be found , the Wagoner's Hitch

If I ever manage to finish this bleedin possibles pouch Ill start sorting my kit out. Wedensday im having another looksy at the site then coming home to cut wood if there isnt a lot there. Thursday is packing kit and bunny bagging (Hopefully).

Ill be at the site early on Friday after ive taken my daughter to school and Ill Pm you all my mobile number in case you need to get in touch

thanks

Craig

Last edited:

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
I plan to be there early Friday too.

The weekend pass thing is not really due to distance, it's more about compromise. My wife would be happy for me to stay both nights, but as I work every second weekend, I feel it's only fair that I split it between my hobby and the family. I also have an essay due in at the end of the month so have a lot on.

Can I bring anything food wise by the way?

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
I know exactly how you feel mate, I hate missing time with the wife and kids.

Foodwise bring enough to last as long as you are staying and anything you fancy for the pot.

For the group meal ,I am bringing extra packs of noodles, a smoke sausage ,porridge packs and the wifes making us all some of her apricot bars and the rabbit (if I can bag em) and 1 or 2 other things.

Craig

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE