Possible Firebox group buy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Would there be any interest in a group buy of these army medical boxes, they would make a great firebox with minimum DIY skills ..

http://www.gisurplus.co.uk/shop/product.php/736/french-medical-box

There is a minimum purchase of 25 units plus the cost of the courier delivery and then postage out from me.

Have a look, if you're interested we can maybe start a list, if there's enough interest the I'll get the ball rolling.

Looking for a minimum of 25 units

Shewie x1

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Decorum has one of those or something very similar and it's a nice fire box without any modding at all though his did have the lid detach I think.

Any ideas if these have detachable lids as well Rich?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
i think id be interested mate il have a look to see how i could convert one, have you had any ideas?
thanks ash

I was thinking of just setting to with a 10mm drill and giving it some ventilation, maybe a grill from an Ikea trivet

Decorum has one of those or something very similar and it's a nice fire box without any modding at all though his did have the lid detach I think.

No idea at all mate, I'll send them a mail and get some more info

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
Hi rich how much do you recken they will be all in? They look canny but maybe to good for a firebox so i may be in if i can think of another good use for it :)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire

I do indeed have one of these as a fire box and it is pretty much unmodded. The lid will come off, but the rear hinges need a bit[SUP]1[/SUP] of persuassion for it to so so ~ the hinge at the back seems to have been hardened[SUP]2[/SUP] and dremmel (or type) is your friend (a suitable hacksaw should be fine).

My reasoning for low level modding of the box is so to allow for easier pressing into 'unexpected duties'[SUP]3[/SUP] ~ and also, for easier carriage.

[SUP]1[/SUP] A lot.
[SUP]2[/SUP] I initially, tried to unroll the hinge with a pipe wrench ~ the surrounding metal will distort first :(
[SUP]3[/SUP] A box, is a box, is a box. A box with holes is a sieve.

... il have a look to see how i could convert one,

Karl82 has a quite heavily modded jobbie ~ did a good job of it as well :approve:. As far as I'm aware it's still going strong, it might be worth giving him a bump.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi rich how much do you recken they will be all in? They look canny but maybe to good for a firebox so i may be in if i can think of another good use for it :)

I don't have the foggiest Andy, I've emailed them for a quote so I'll see what they come back with. I imagine it might be quite pricey to send 25 metal boxes but we'll see.

I wonder if there's any Dorset members who could help out? :)

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
I don't have the foggiest Andy, I've emailed them for a quote so I'll see what they come back with. I imagine it might be quite pricey to send 25 metal boxes but we'll see.

Ha rich your right its probably a van on its own lol
Looked on ebay they were charging about £13 each for delivery

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
Ha rich your right its probably a van on its own lol
Looked on ebay they were charging about £13 each for delivery

Searched again someone delivering for £7 each which is a bit more reasonable,
Looks like they maybe popular though rich

Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
I'd be up for a couple, three if we're low on numbers

Shewie x1
Visla (maybe)
SilentBob (x1 maybe x2)
greenshoots
MandaPanda
AndyC54 (maybe)
Dangerous Dan (x2)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
They look great Rich, I'm in.

Shewie x1
Visla (maybe)
SilentBob (x1 maybe x2)
greenshoots
MandaPanda
AndyC54 (maybe)
Dangerous Dan (x2)
Sherwood 1 or possibly 2
Ged 5 (five)

Highfield

Tenderfoot
Mar 1, 2010
Gloucestershie
A bigger lunch box!

I would like one please.

Shewie x1
Visla (maybe)
SilentBob (x1 maybe x2)
greenshoots
MandaPanda
AndyC54 (maybe)
Dangerous Dan (x2)
Sherwood 1 or possibly 2
Ged 5 (five)
Highfield x1

lol i keep meaning to pop down see if they will sell direct ;)

quick phone call they are happy to sell to me but min order is £150 plus vat which is just over 21 boxes so how they get to the 25 off i.e. 5 packs

ATB

Duncan

Last edited:

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Ooooh, I'm sure I can find uses for one or two!!!

Shewie x1
Visla (maybe)
SilentBob (x1 maybe x2)
greenshoots
MandaPanda
AndyC54 (maybe)
Dangerous Dan (x2)
Sherwood 1 or possibly 2
Ged 5 (five)
Highfield x1
KiltedPict x 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE