Poplar burr any good for anything????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
The Poplar trees at works have been killed of by drowning in saturated soil/bog, just wanted to know if its any good for anything as it has lots of burr on it...

i was thinking of knife scales, i know it does not burn well and causes black smoke, what do people think????

has anyone ever used it for carving or bushcrfat stuff???

many thanks.

chris.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Lovely stuff for carving, i got a load of it via my sister as they were taking a load out at the school she works at and rtather than bin it, i got first dibs on it, tis one of my favourite carving woods

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Thanks gents, thats all my questions answered, got me some nice burr to play with then, and as much carving wood as i will ever need this lifetime.....;)

many thanks to all.

regards.

chris.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
If you keep the wood for a lifetime carving lannyman it will be blooming hard to carve as you get older. :lmao:

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
If you keep the wood for a lifetime carving lannyman it will be blooming hard to carve as you get older. :lmao:

lol.... that gives me another reason to get a chain saw, the evidence is clear to all now, the wife CANT say no...;)

put some pictures on now...:)

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
5ec57ff8-0620-277e.jpg
5ec57ff8-0632-39b5.jpg
5ec57ff8-0643-0c2a.jpg

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
That burr looks very nice for scales or bowls maybe.Is there any trunk wood left?
If you have a spare piece , this is the wood of choice for making peles ; the "shovels" used to put bread into the oven.
I need a new baguette pele so would be happy to swap something for a piece.I don't think you are too far away either
so the bread might even still be warm!
Cheers , Simon

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
hey gents, sorry just seen the questions...

sorry but all the branches have been chipped allong with all the small enough bits the machine would take, as the grounds men said its useless for everything...

i should be able to get a nice round for you as the main trunk has been ditched out of the way, the wood is dry not green though....if this is any good give me a PM and we can sort something out Simon...

regards.

chris.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Not much room for the birds on your new bird table Chris!
That looks just the ticket mate.I'll be in touch when i have a date.
Cheers , Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE