poncho?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FarPoint

Jan 15, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Hi gang, this is my first post on the site.

Anyone use a military poncho and liner? I have always used goretex jackets and tarps and now thinking that a poncho may be a good multi-use item. I also think nothing beats them in a real deluge.

Any thoughts?

11b inf

Jan 8, 2008
phx. az
first off welcome to the site FarPoint,glad to have you.....the poncho and liner combo was my primary sleeping gear in the Infantry..that combo was good for mild weather down to about the 40's no rain..when it rained we used the poncho as a hootch/basha and just wrapped up with the liner and froze our butts off...when it got any cooler than that we took our sleep sack...if you want a poncho and liner make sure you get the genuine items....vince g. 11b inf...

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
ya, ponchos are useful bits of kit. i wouldn't replace my goretex jacket with one, but i would use one to augment the rest of my kit, in the right weather.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I find a ponch OK as a waterproof, unless I am going to be on a cliff edge in a gale - I do not fancy involontary hang-gliding - but I find them a little short for bivvi-ing, and I am only 5'6" tall so 6'ers are going to find them very short!
Great bits of kit for dossing around in on camp and as gear covers/wind breaks etc when you are in your bivvi/hammock and I have used one as the skin for an improvised raft.....
The liners are good kit in their own right, a tough no frills light weight blanket!

FarPoint

Jan 15, 2008
Toronto, Canada
thanks gang-I was thinking of the poncho and liner more as both a rain jacket and a groundsheet underneath my sleeping pad and bag, all of which under a small silnylon tarp. I thought the liner would be good obviously in the cold rain, sitting around at night after supper and before bed and a quick throw on during lunch/rest stops.
I would definitely the real stuff from a shop.
Just as an fyi-check out Ranger Rick's website-he has an interesting zipper adapter for making a sleeping bag/bivvy out of the poncho/liner combo - I think it would be an overly heavy addition for hiking and camping however.

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
I agree with the coment above. I however love them always have one in my kit.
Use it as a poncho, rain collector, sleep cover in the wind, shelter. They are fantastic bits of kit. 2 are better thou.

Boon

Oct 10, 2007
lincolnshire
have used poncho's loads of times, got to admit never used the liners. whilst camping/hiking in the worst of the bad weather last year i suplimented my gortex with a poncho and stayed dry as a bone, it got so bad that even decent gortex jackets were pushed to and in some cases beyond there limit. it also has the advantage of being able to be used as a basha so you cant go wrong. like said by other person i wouldnt replace my gortex with it but i would certainly use it as well as.

Boon

FarPoint

Jan 15, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Many Thanks gang-I think I will pick one up asap.
It's amazing how you can go 43 years without a bit of kit but when you put your mind to getting it, everyday seems an eternity.

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
I agree with John Fenna, great bit of kit but had to rugby tackle a guy once on top of Pen Y Fan to stop him going to Brecon !!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE