Polish army tent - Lavvu on a budget ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Yes , you would , but as it only a pole ( as far as i'm aware ) or a tripod , it shouldn't make a difference should it? If you extend a cone shape , the angle remain the same while the base size increases?

Or am i missing something?

No that's right, but you wouldn't be able to just button in the extra sections, you would need to get the sewing machine out and extend all around the bottom too. Perhaps that's what you have in mind though?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
No that's right, but you wouldn't be able to just button in the extra sections, you would need to get the sewing machine out and extend all around the bottom too. Perhaps that's what you have in mind though?

Yes mate , bang on , thats what i meant.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

Why couldn't it be button on? as long as the internal skirt is higher then the external cone the button can be used all the way around to change between larger tent ( with skirt ) to normal smaller backpack size.

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
Why couldn't it be button on? as long as the internal skirt is higher then the external cone the button can be used all the way around to change between larger tent ( with skirt ) to normal smaller backpack size.

nah surely they're cut so that when taught the two ends will be in a straight line, i.e. it forms a 180 degree outline. If you put more than one together you'd need to create a circle with more than 360 degrees...

Or each of the sides would bulge out, creating a very weird shape, with 3 it would look a bit like a micky mouse head...

could work though :D

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
nah surely they're cut so that when taught the two ends will be in a straight line, i.e. it forms a 180 degree outline. If you put more than one together you'd need to create a circle with more than 360 degrees...

Or each of the sides would bulge out, creating a very weird shape, with 3 it would look a bit like a micky mouse head...

could work though :D

Right , To be clear I am on about using an EXTRA tent ( because its cheap good fabric ) cutting it up and sewing it a little to create an extra section of skirt that can be just button to the bottom of the Normal two man single unit to create a far larger floor space.

So cutting and sewing required -Yes Extra tent required-Yes Modified-Yes

Any clearer?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
So it's like a bell tent, like Spike came up with? Sounds like a good idea to me.

Nearly.. Just use the extra fabric to create a skirt which would extend the line of the angles.. a bell tent would give you inside more height , no extra floor space.

Think of the current tent as a Cone , now extend that cone up by 1/3rd again , larger floor space , greater height , abilty to change between tight 2 man tent to reasonable 3 person tent.

Does that make sense?

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
Right , To be clear I am on about using an EXTRA tent ( because its cheap good fabric ) cutting it up and sewing it a little to create an extra section of skirt that can be just button to the bottom of the Normal two man single unit to create a far larger floor space.

So cutting and sewing required -Yes Extra tent required-Yes Modified-Yes

Any clearer?

oh!!!!!!! i get it!!! wooops...totally special move by me there. that does sound like a good idea :D

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Wet out is when the rain stops beading on the surface then starts to soak into the fabric, and or starts to come through to other side,when your in a cotton tent this can happen if its raining outside and you touch the fabric on the inside.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I might be being dim here. I've put it up in the garden and climbed into it. How on earth you button it up from the inside and manage to close the outside storm flap all the way down?! I can't see how without some comically Pythonesque move by waving my hands wildly outside using the arm slits!

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
I might be being dim here. I've put it up in the garden and climbed into it. How on earth you button it up from the inside and manage to close the outside storm flap all the way down?! I can't see how without some comically Pythonesque move by waving my hands wildly outside using the arm slits!

Yep. That is difficult to say the least.

I usually just loop the loose eyelet over a tent peg and not bother closing the whole thing down. It seals it well enough (if you've done as most here and fastened 3 buttons down on the entry side) and I've used this set up a lot in the wet and cold. Makes for an easier late night exit for watering the foliage also.

It's on the back burner at the moment but I'll be putting a couple of patches of velcro on I think.

HTH.

Alexlebrit

Tenderfoot
Dec 22, 2009
France
I'd better start by saying I've not actually seen one of these lavvu's in the flesh, but I've been thinking about simple ways to extend them, as some people have said they're a bit small.

I reckon instead of trying to add fabric to the bottom the easiiest way would be to add a simple rectangle of tarp in the middle. I've seen, but can't find it a picture of of half a lavvu set up, so they'll obviously stand up like that.

The tarp would need buttons/holes to attach it, but that shouldn't be too hard to do. You'd button in one side completely and use the other side as a door. You could use a couple more poles or paddles or paracord to trees/landies/bystanders to support the loose flap and which would give a useful covered porch which could be open to your fire.

Here's a very rough MSPaint sketch which probably explains it all better.

4486212511_d81d32031f_o.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE