Poles... bum!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Just a bit of a rant,

I purchased three MSR ADJUSTABLE POLES – 5 FT (1.5 M) today to allow me to pitch my Hilleberg tarp where there is no wood and no trees.

The diameter of the aluminium loops on the Hilleberg is bigger than the poles to they don't fit properly.

Now I have to stick washers to the top of the poles and it's all shoddy and annoying.

BLEH!

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Bummer

If you have a tap and die you could cut threads on the top of the poles and inside the washers so they at least stay on and don't get lost. Or maybe a rubber bung with a hole in it (like from a chemistry set or wine making kit)......or even rubber washers that grip the pole might help. Not ideal but all I can think of to help mate :)

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Bummer

If you have a tap and die you could cut threads on the top of the poles and inside the washers so they at least stay on and don't get lost. Or maybe a rubber bung with a hole in it (like from a chemistry set or wine making kit)......or even rubber washers that grip the pole might help. Not ideal but all I can think of to help mate :)

At the moment, i'm thinking about getting a sturdy nylon washer and some of these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/3310...f11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I guess that would work but have to make sure there was no sharp bits to possibly damage the tarp....I still think rubber washers is a brainwave idea lol :)

Steve....can I be cheeky and have a butchers at your poles at the meet? I'll bring some of the slush fund in case you want to flog any I like :)

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I’m not familiar with the msr tarp and poles so I don’t know what the differential is between your poles and eyelets (im presuming the’re eyelets ?), however just a suggestion. One way I’ve made adjustable poles (home-made cheapos) is to tie a small loop of cord and then tie a klemheist prusik knot around the pole, slide the prusik along pole to required length and peg out with a guyline and tent peg. Poke the end of pole through the eyelet of tarp and the extra thickness of the cord around pole may possibly be enough to stop the eyelet slipping over it, and in any case when guyline is tensioned this will help stop it slipping down as well. You can use a variety of different prusik combinations and knots to achieve the same results if you get creative however for simplicity I have described and posted photos of an easy way (for example you can tie the prusik into the guyline itself and not have a separate short loop, or even use an icicle hitch which is very secure instead of a klemheist). Another alternative to washers which has no sharp edges to damage tarp is to maybe tie a turks head knot around pole, you may need to glue it in place though for added security if you can’t tie it tight enough not to slip, other perhaps better knots can be used for this too of course.

Cheapo adjustable pole, old tent poles joined with bungee cord and with a walking pole rubber on bottom to help stop it sinking into ground, fitted with klemheist loop for height adjustment, cost £0.00 as made from old bits and pieces, too thin poles will bend too easily.

3044.jpg

3047.jpg

3051.jpg

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I’m not familiar with the msr tarp and poles so I don’t know what the differential is between your poles and eyelets (im presuming the’re eyelets ?), however just a suggestion. One way I’ve made adjustable poles (home-made cheapos) is to tie a small loop of cord and then tie a klemheist prusik knot around the pole, slide the prusik along pole to required length and peg out with a guyline and tent peg. Poke the end of pole through the eyelet of tarp and the extra thickness of the cord around pole may possibly be enough to stop the eyelet slipping over it, and in any case when guyline is tensioned this will help stop it slipping down as well. You can use a variety of different prusik combinations and knots to achieve the same results if you get creative however for simplicity I have described and posted photos of an easy way (for example you can tie the prusik into the guyline itself and not have a separate short loop, or even use an icicle hitch which is very secure instead of a klemheist). Another alternative to washers which has no sharp edges to damage tarp is to maybe tie a turks head knot around pole, you may need to glue it in place though for added security if you can’t tie it tight enough not to slip, other perhaps better knots can be used for this too of course.

Cheapo adjustable pole, old tent poles joined with bungee cord and with a walking pole rubber on bottom to help stop it sinking into ground, fitted with klemheist loop for height adjustment, cost £0.00 as made from old bits and pieces, too thin poles will bend too easily.

3044.jpg

3047.jpg

3051.jpg

That's a nice solution and as you say, extremely cost effective.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
OK, the nylon washers went on, followed by the star lock washers and to get rid of any sharp edges, I used a hot clue gun to coat the star lock washer. Seems like it will do the job and while secure, can be removed if I ever need to call upon the MSR warranty on the poles.

Still a bit of a bummer but i'm happier.

Thanks for the alternate solutions, some have given me ideas for solutions to other problems.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE