pocket sharpener

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigmul

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2008
Whitley Bay
Can anyone give some advice on a decent pocket sharpener?

I've seen some on the 'bay, Gerber ones are around £4, but I've no idea if they're up to much?

Thanks

bigmul

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2008
Whitley Bay
I was kinda thinking of something that could be kept on a keyring, or a mini-caribbeaner.

The DC3's look like they have qa hole in them for that, but I'd imagine that the diamond surface would wear or scratch anything they came into contact with - eg keys, torch etc.

yes ther is a tiny hole in the metal strip of the DC3 & 4 but its not into the ceramic and is only 1mm or less i assume its to hang the bit of metal on a wire to run it thru the coating process
you can get (or could i got one in 93 in the USA LLbean Freeport Main 2am 24hr outdoor shop:D :cool: ) mini diamond steel fits into a pen lid type thing but limited use
havin got a DC4 now its a supurb stone and i wouldnt like to get any smaller even for quick field use but alos wouldnt like to hang it of a key ring

ATB

Duncan

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
off ebay I got a diamond whetstone that had a keyring on it, cost about 3 quid I think! Not exactly superb but was o.k!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Can anyone give some advice on a decent pocket sharpener?

I've seen some on the 'bay, Gerber ones are around £4, but I've no idea if they're up to much?

Thanks

They work well, a lot of lads on British Blades take them on camping trips, good enough for a knife collector, good enough for me;)

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Hi bigmul, i've got one of the gerber one's, can't realy fault it for the price, not suitable for a thick(say 5mm) bladed knife though.

never liked them ones they shred the blad removing a lot of metal :(
i definatly wouldnt use one on pruning shears as shown on the blade tech site they are a single sided sharpen (like a chisel or scissors ) so doing both will ruin it

also you have one set sharpening angle which as pointed out is probably suitable for secondary edges on full grinds (if you like the angle )

i think this type evolved form the kitchen knife sharpeners and is probably fairly good at them but i wouldnt expect a long life from the knife dunno what it would do to a woodlore:eek: i doubt the angle matches

but the Gerber on is ceramic and 2 grades so probably isnt as hard on metal
i have a single one built into the bottom of a filleting knife sheath from gerber i find its so fine unless the blade is sharp its not worth it but it does give a nice final polish you just have to match the angles first
and for the price worth a carefull try i guess

ATB

Duncan

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I have a bladetech one. I'm not keen TBH, they don't seem to give a clean grind it leaves a kind of bumpy/ridged/messy edge.( at least mine does) i've tried various methods. On one kitchen knife i had to totally rework the edge after using one.

bigmul

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2008
Whitley Bay
Thanks everyone, I reckon for things like a Leatherman or SAK this type of thing would be fine, in fact reckon I might get one for the kitchen too. I have a proper shapening stone aswell, but even the Mrs could use this!

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
I have one of these... pretty good, reasonably small and can be used one-handed (good for horseback, apparently!).

003.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE