Pocket/Keyring torch - recommendations?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

daved

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
London
Can anyone recommend a reliable lightweight torch small enough to carry (comfortably) in your pocket?

Photons sound about right but I have never seen them in the shops here and they seem kind of pricey. Used to have a "Cyba-lite" LED torch but the rubber switches perished and the whole thing packed up.

Any views or suggestions?

mark wood

Forager
Jul 25, 2004
Newcastle
I recently got a Photon Freedom with the new brighter (supposedly x2 with no loss of run time) white bulb plus magnetic clip for less than a tenner off ebay (including shipping from the states). It's very good indeed!

Mark

swamp donkey

Forager
Jun 25, 2005
uk
I would go for princeton aurora for small and versatile, may be a little bit dear for some but takes normal batteries all my family have one for general use. only problem we have had is one got a bit loose but easily done up.
Black diamond gemini for heavier use (ie if you want to see a bit further).but still nice and small

inova micro lights lst about 15 hours on one set of batteries in my experience :(

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I use a cheap & cheerful LED key-ring torch I got in Millets for about £8, its a Cyba-lite A31. Quite bright and pretty robust.

Dave

daved

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
London
Thanks for all your suggestions so far.

I used to use a Maglite Solitare but it is just a bit too large for a trouser pocket and I got a bit upset by how badly it got scratched by keys (OK call me shallow) so now it lives in my bag instead. I am really looking for something smaller if possible so the LED options sound good.

How does the Princeton eclipse compare to the Photons (other than being half the price!)? Looks kind of chunky in the pictures.

Talking of clearance sales, I came across the following US website which might be of interest:
http://www.theledlight.com/LEDFlashlights.html

some really cheap deals on photons ($7) if you don't want a white one. Postage seems a bit steep, although it is only an estimate. Does anyone have any experience of them?

daved

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
London
MartiniDave said:
I use a cheap & cheerful LED key-ring torch I got in Millets for about £8, its a Cyba-lite A31. Quite bright and pretty robust.

Dave

Dave,
if that is the flat one that looks a bit like a photon then take care as my one fell apart really quickly - the rubber switches just seemed to perish and fall apart. Perhaps my trouser pocket is a more noxious environment than yours! :)

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Daved,

Thanks for the warning, but no, its not the flat one. I had one but it sort of fell apart. The one I mean is a bit smaller than a Maglite Solitaire, machied aluminium, quite nice really and a good bright beam, been in use since last October and still going strong on original batteries and looking good.

Dave

L

Lost_Patrol

Martinidave,
I've had (and lost) a couple of the cybalights that you have got - they are great little lights but watch out for the weakness in the chain. The swivel joint in the middle breaks, leaving the chain on your keyring, but no torch :(

Cheers,
Andy

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Always had maglights, so i thought i'd try out led's by getting the princeton attitude (yeah - i got attitude !!), and the quality always impressed the heck out of me. Never saw light so bright and white from something so small. Until i got the inova x5. Now that is awesome. Hopefully my Gladius will turn up tomorrow. :rolleyes:
Shouldn't really go to the BB forum, it's bad for the wallet.
Anyway, if the eclipse is as good a quality as the other stuff they do, it'll do good keyring duty i reckon....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE