Want a good new keyring torch, recommendations please :)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Hello again,

Been away a while, but am back for some more kit advise :)

I'm looking for a new keyring torch, the last ones I have owned were a maglite solitare (pretty usesless IMO) and for the last year or so a cheaper plastic LED pencil torch that has been fairly decent, especially for the money.

I'm now looking for a quality lightweight replacement that will last for years, will cope with being attached to keys in a pocket, & has an excelent output.

Willing to spend up to around £20, and your recommendations would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I picked up a couple of these for a fiver each at a local high street electrical shop. Aluminium with a screw-down head to switch it on and to change the battery. It came with a keychain clip which I removed.

http://www.battery-force.co.uk/detail_GPKEYT001D-GP-Discovery-CREE-LED-Keyring-Torch-in-Blue.html

It's my EDC, lives on my belt in a Victorinox pouch together with a tiny Victorinox penknife, a small lighter and a pair of tweezers.

The torch runs on a single AAA cell, and I've never yet had to replace it although I only use the torch occasionally -- nothing like as much as I use a head torch.

The only problem I've had with it is that the head tended to come undone when it was new, and I worried about losing it from the pouch, so I wrapped it in a bit of microfibre cloth to catch it in case it did pop off. As it's got older it's seemed to be less prone to doing that, I guess because it's gradually lost some of the grease lubricating the threads and O ring seal (yes, it's waterproof).

All in all I've been very pleased with them. I gave the other one to the wife. They've both been fine.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Thanks for your replys.

The fenix does looks very nice, I see it is 27 lumens, and that seems a bit low compared to some of the others on there site. Is it particuarly good?

I know what you mean about the Inova, awesome little torch (I have one), but I don't think it will survive long on my keys!

The finish on my old solitare became scuffed & marked being on my keys, the bulbs kept breaking & the output was lacking compared to some of the modern Led torches.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... The fenix does looks very nice, I see it is 27 lumens, and that seems a bit low compared to some of the others on there site. Is it particuarly good? ...

Don't get hung up on the headline figures. I think the marketing types like to have a bigger number than the competition but there IS such a thing as too bright.

Every night I go out into the woods to feed some animals. I use a head torch on a low setting, a couple of lumens, but I also take a hand-held torch, one of two or three I have that are in the 120 lumen range. The head torch (Zebralight H51) will put out more than the hand-held ones, but on the second to lowest setting it's plenty bright enough for everything I do on a walk of a few hundred metres in very dark, dense woodland. The single-setting hand-held torches are just too bright for general use, and they will ruin my night vision if I look at the beam when it plays on anything closer than about fifty metres. The main thing I use the hand-held torches for is looking for eye-shine from the animals that I'm feeding. The light doesn't seem to bother their eyes like it does a human's.

Jan 15, 2012
essex
The e05 has a lower output than the others on the site bacause it is a small one aaa cell flashlight.
If you prefer a bit bigger light take a look at some of the aa or single cr123 lights.
Or get one of the big ones and a larger keyring lol.

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
If you can stetch your budget then the Fenix LD01 is very versatile and brighter on Hi. It also has an IMHO more useful lower setting whilst still being small and using AAAs. If you are willing to run on a 10440 it's incredibly powerful. You may be able to find an older L0D for within your budget which is almost the same light (I still have one on my keyring when I travel). But in respect of the E05 27 lumens is plenty for most purposes and too many for some bearing in mind its more than a 2d maglite and much better than a 2 x AA one.

Last edited:
THRUNITE tI £14 from flashaholics here in the UK

Great two stage light running of a single AAA

http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/thrunite/thrunite-ti.html

Just jumping back to this post, I liked the look of this torch so had a look around and found this guy selling them on Ebay with free P&P.
I had a few other bits from him and the items arrived within 24 hours. No connection etc just happy with the service and prices. I think the nitesticks are a decent price too at £4.65 +99p postage. He combines postage too, and doesn't overcharge.

hemdale

Nomad
Jan 30, 2012
London
Got a Quark X mini 123 but they seem quite difficult to find these days. However, it's a small pocketable yet powerful flashlight.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE