Poacher turned Gamekeeper

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I second that!

And I will third it.

Whilst we all wish all of mankind would be responsible and that rules were not necessary. Sadly all evidence points to the contrary.

Even where rights have been extended, Loch Lomond shows what can happen.

There is far higher population density in England.

If we aren't brave enough to protect the land, create wildlife habitats and corridors, and manage it - even if that means excluding people at night or even all the time - then we will have no wildlife left - and no woods to go to.

I would have no problem with the "friends" of this wood camping there and excluding others - if people had to rock up to , for example, half a dozen rubbish picking and clear up days, before camping, then I bet they would indeed be more responsible and "shown the way". A little responsibilty earns a little "right". Seems fair to me - its those that cannot be bothered to invest any effort in managing the land that are most prone to trash it.

Red

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Scots invading perhaps not, the English law catching up with Scotland and other Scandinavian Countries, all for it, BUT, it requires education, not only in the family home but at school, and I'm definitely talking about Scotland as well here, any one who camps/canoes on Loch Lomond and other Lochs knows the absolute devastation a "nice" weekend can wrought on the local countryside, with anything from live trees chopped at for fire wood, the horrible disposable barbecue, to a (and I've come across this more than once) whole camping rig, tent, sleeping bags, air beds, chairs, etc, just either left or chucked in the fire, because people couldn't be bothered packing it up, why should they, Supermarkets supply the whole kit for next to nothing, in their eyes at least it seems.

Drive past your nearest high school between it and the local shops/chippie just after the bell at the end of lunch. Education is not the answer.

Think about drink driving and picking up dog poo, the police/councils have pushed it so that it's 'socially unacceptable'. To a similar extent with public smoking and underage public drinking.

We, schools, cannot do everything and have little 'power and sanctions'.

Unfortunately the camping bans and bye laws at Lomond will be extended. After reading the report, dogs off lead are actually causing more unsustainable damage than littering.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
It can be a big problem. Here we ask that dog be kept under control during the nesting season and that helps in general but we do find nests destroyed and birds killed regularly.

What is difficult to decide is whether dogs, foxes or even badgers are responsible. That is to say nothing of the burgeoning population of Magpies we have too.

I guess a lot of it falls under the heading of natural selection but it's always sad to find.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Always itching for a fight aren't you?

I'm tempted to think you are just a bit of a troll from the few posts I've actually noticed from you but I do hope there turns out to be more to you than that at some point.

For my part I have no intention of engaging in a battle of wits with such an obviously unarmed opponent, so carry on making a fool of yourself for all I care because I've seen precious little to make me interested in your opinion so far.

OK simple question, how do you know there was a 200 feet mine shaft protected only by some sleepers and soil? And if you knew why hadn't you notified the Council. Or, had you and they refused to wire off the shaft or to post warning notices? And, the Friends decided not to either.

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
And I will third it.

Whilst we all wish all of mankind would be responsible and that rules were not necessary. Sadly all evidence points to the contrary.

Even where rights have been extended, Loch Lomond shows what can happen.

There is far higher population density in England.

If we aren't brave enough to protect the land, create wildlife habitats and corridors, and manage it - even if that means excluding people at night or even all the time - then we will have no wildlife left - and no woods to go to.

I would have no problem with the "friends" of this wood camping there and excluding others - if people had to rock up to , for example, half a dozen rubbish picking and clear up days, before camping, then I bet they would indeed be more responsible and "shown the way". A little responsibilty earns a little "right". Seems fair to me - its those that cannot be bothered to invest any effort in managing the land that are most prone to trash it.

Red

A very valid opinion.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
OK simple question, how do you know there was a 200 feet mine shaft protected only by some sleepers and soil? And if you knew why hadn't you notified the Council. Or, had you and they refused to wire off the shaft or to post warning notices? And, the Friends decided not to either.

OK, simple answer, we checked it.

As for responsibility, all such workings are now the responsibility of the Coal Authority, who having been informed by us and inspecting the site decided that it was within safe parameters.

Those parameters of course did not include a bunch of cretins ignoring all the warnings and lighting a ruddy fire on top of it though.

Does that answer your question or are you going to find some other stupid reason to start an argument now...

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
He He... I thought this thread would polarise opinions and I also knew the usual have a pop brigade would use it as a chance to make it personal. ...

... Does that answer your question or are you going to find some other stupid reason to start an argument now...

Aren't you the guy who once accused me of liking an argument? Seems to me the quotes above speak for themselves.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Right I think this thread is getting a bit too argumental about simple opinions.

I think we can agree that based on Waylands initial post it was misleading in the way it was written and gave a lot of us the wrong impression about how the situation was handled. We are all entitled to our opinion as to whether we agree with what was done and how things were handled.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
+1 to that

Jason
true you can teach people methods and try to help but if people havnt got respect in the first place they will proberbly never learn or listen. I have permission to walk my dogs on some fields next to me, iv never once let my dogs foul without picking it up but people have seen me walking on there and now think they all can and now i have to watch were i walk, i once saw a chap watch his dog foul and then walked off, i walked the other way around the field and met up with him and offered him a doggy bag, he pretended he didnt no what i was talking about so i reminded him it is private land. People like him will never change.

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
true you can teach people methods and try to help but if people havnt got respect in the first place they will proberbly never learn or listen. I have permission to walk my dogs on some fields next to me, iv never once let my dogs foul without picking it up but people have seen me walking on there and now think they all can and now i have to watch were i walk, i once saw a chap watch his dog foul and then walked off, i walked the other way around the field and met up with him and offered him a doggy bag, he pretended he didnt no what i was talking about so i reminded him it is private land. People like him will never change.

A trend I have noticed in the last few years when biking along the canal, is people have picked up dog poo, put it in a wee bag and thrown it up a tree or in bushes. Would be better they just flicked it off the path with a stick, as it will rot down quicker outwith a polybag.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
A trend I have noticed in the last few years when biking along the canal, is people have picked up dog poo, put it in a wee bag and thrown it up a tree or in bushes. Would be better they just flicked it off the path with a stick, as it will rot down quicker outwith a polybag.

That is something I find obscenely disgusting and I have a go at anyone I see who does that.

Whilst it's not a legal requirement to deal with your dog poo on agricultural or uncultivated land I always make sure any that my dogs do are flicked off the path.

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
It can be a big problem. Here we ask that dog be kept under control during the nesting season and that helps in general but we do find nests destroyed and birds killed regularly.

What is difficult to decide is whether dogs, foxes or even badgers are responsible. That is to say nothing of the burgeoning population of Magpies we have too.

I guess a lot of it falls under the heading of natural selection but it's always sad to find.

The issues on the islands are loose dogs, the islands don't have other predators.

Nick

PS I'll post a link to the research if I can find it.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
If they dont like the countryside and woodland enough to respect it they shouldnt be there in my opinion. Im happy to show someone how to have a ground fire and clear it properly without leaving damage but im not happy to show someone how to pick up a tin can :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE