Poacher turned Gamekeeper

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Get Orff my land or i'll set Forseti on you!

So do you carry a shovel to burry your dog crap since surely they must go in the woods as well?

Scrape & burn just don’t forget about public footpaths like I did by accident since I had an audience. :sulkoff:

Last edited:

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
i have never carried a shovel in my life and am actually very responsible, i would have told you to mind your own business.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
He He... I thought this thread would polarise opinions and I also knew the usual have a pop brigade would use it as a chance to make it personal.

could get kilted up and storm the place for you Wayland, but I demand some camping rights in return

Not mine to offer mate, although we were offered that right, we voted against it as the site faces too many challenges and having some people allowed to camp and others not, would have made it far too confusing not to say unfair.

If you had to inform them " they cannot camp without permission and the council doesn't give permission to camp here, etc. etc. " surely you had done enough to educate them. Should they then subsequently decide to ignore you then that is their conscious decision to do so. Also as far as I'm aware should the police be called they themselves can do nothing with respect to trespass as it is a civil not criminal offence other than ask them to move on etc.

I am all for responsible camping and advocating safe camp craft but to be frank if somebody such as yourself had been that forward to me whilst I was out and about I sure would have questioned your own specific responsibility or duty towards being so frank and forward.

My 2 pence

real shame when a nice bit of land gets destroyed by people like that, even worse when it is an important habitat and the council have no intention of sorting it out. what can you really do

It is not that the council does not want to sort it out, it simply does not have the manpower to do so which is why it has to rely on voluntary groups like ours.

I confess don’t know all the legal ins and outs but the current situation is that warning notices are clearly visible around the site. The established procedure is that campers are first asked to leave, if they refuse to leave then the police are be brought in to assist.

The way the police operate when called is that they will serve fixed penalties for any litter or criminal damage such as the cutting of trees or lighting of fires.

I’ve seen them do this on at least one occasion which made it a very expensive nights camping for that particular group.

Due to the above mentioned shortage of manpower the council has asked us where possible to start the ball rolling with the first part of that procedure by phoning them where upon they register us as working volunteers and then asking the campers to leave as due representatives of the council.

It’s not a perfect system but it works reasonably well.

Gosh what a sense of power, to do what you had no right to do, wish I was that macho. You don't tackle the "Neds" then?

Actually I do deal with the Neds as well. It’s not pleasant, it usually involves verbal abuse, sometimes threats I’ve even been spat at on occasions but if they are not asked to leave by someone then the next part of the procedure cannot begin.

If it is a particularly large or rowdy group we have a phone tree system that means we can put more people on the ground for safety, but more often than not we just politely ask them to move on, tell them what happens if they don’t and see what happens.

I think most campy/backpacker types have all they need in terms of fuel and stoves, and probably wouldn't dream of chopping wood or building a fire. It'd be out with the gas stove, up tents, and so on for most folk...
the vast majority of backpackers go along with the 'leave no trace' philosophy.

I’m afraid my confidence in that assumption was dented somewhat on this occasion by the saw handle that was sticking out of one of the rucksacks.

As a landowner, you see a fire on your land, even a wee one, alarm bells ring. Look at the blog posts here, lots have a fire. A recent site I was had a rule of only BBQs off the ground eg no disposable ones on grass, and light on the beach near the high tide line.

The usual place that fires get lit here is directly on the pine debris in the woods and the fire often spreads under the surface.
It’s taken us days to extinguish some of them and we’ve had to call in the Fire Brigade on multiple occasions.

Personally I would've let them on their way, probably even showed them the best spot and given them a few pointers if they seemed decent enough. I've seen the same thing on the fishing scene. The worst case being some local elitists ousting a father and his two young sons from a prime spot because they didn't have the 'right' gear, were casting over their lines and generally didn't know what they were doing. I let them have my spot, use my gear, showed them how to cast and got them some lovely flatfish, then gave the other locals a mouthful once they'd left. Show them the way, don't show them the door.

Edit: I actually feel sick now. I've used up my self-righteous quota for the next two years!

I’ve tried that in the past I’m afraid. Of the six occasions that I’ve chatted with people about the problems, believed their promises or stated good intentions and then decided to turn a blind eye, twice I was proved right and four times sadly disappointed.

it is sad to think that a couple who wanted to go camping, could be turned away by an individual.

I agree with you, unfortunately we have a Grade A. Site of Biological Interest (SBI) sitting on the edge of a major conurbation and it’s difficult to make exceptions without sending out the wrong messages.

Wouldn't the Scots laws just mean that the local "Neds" had a legal right to camp there? As would the couple you turned away?

I'm probably obtuse, but I'm not sure how that would help the damage?

Anyone could camp there with 'responsible access' eg leave no rubbish, if you have to have a fire, very small, no scars and only driftwood, no impact on the flora and fauna. So their type of [FONT=&amp]camping[/FONT] would not be allowed.

There is no Legal right to camp anywhere here, in Scotland, just [FONT=&amp]responsible access[/FONT]. For example you are supposed to move away after 48hrs and not have group camping, also light a fire if you need to (how often do we light fire when we could use a stove ?)

I light a fire in a BBQ bucket etc if not on a beach, beaches are easier as you can light it below the high tide line etc.

Scots invading perhaps not, the English law catching up with Scotland and other Scandinavian Countries, all for it, BUT, it requires education, not only in the family home but at school, and I'm definitely talking about Scotland as well here, any one who camps/canoes on Loch Lomond and other Lochs knows the absolute devastation a "nice" weekend can wrought on the local countryside, with anything from live trees chopped at for fire wood, the horrible disposable barbecue, to a (and I've come across this more than once) whole camping rig, tent, sleeping bags, air beds, chairs, etc, just either left or chucked in the fire, because people couldn't be bothered packing it up, why should they, Supermarkets supply the whole kit for next to nothing, in their eyes at least it seems.

Snip> Show them the way, don't show them the door.<Snip
I agree with this sentiment, but I've also been on the other side, where trying to give help and advice has resulted in verbal and attempted physical assault. Nothing about this has an easy answer, it never has and never will until we approach the countryside like the Scandinavians. They talk about "The Nature", they reverie and respect what they have, we should too.

Eloquently answered by the guys who live there and see it in action. Yes, it would require education and a change of attitudes and deep down I&#8217;m not sure we&#8217;re ready for it here, but it does sadden me that we do not have a workable, responsible access policy in this country.

I love wild camping but I travel to Scotland or Scandinavia to do it. In the past I have used the vague permitted camping in remote parts of Dartmoor and above the highest enclosures of Cumbria but these days I&#8217;m even loath to do that as it sends the wrong kind of message out to people that will not bother to find out what is or isn&#8217;t allowed.

I understand that SCR - but presumably a "friends" group couldn't just turn a couple away?

Yes, unless the Local Council had byelaws, a Friends group could not turn away Responsible Access seekers.

In the end it all comes down to rights and responsibilities. Some people are very quick to bleat on about their rights but usually neglect the responsibilities that go with those rights.

At the moment we have a punitive system, &#8220;Don&#8217;t do that because we will beat you with a stick if you do.&#8221;

Personally I&#8217;ve always preferred the carrot approach, &#8220;If you want to camp here, you need to be responsible about it.&#8221;

In reality we usually need the carrot and the stick but that is just human nature I guess.

We don't all need a shovel either God man I am going lightweight

Try less fibre
I find a scrape and a burn do the trick

The question was purely a method of illustrating the wider problems that are usually not considered.

It&#8217;s bad enough having to clean up litter and fire scars but dealing with human faeces and dirty toilet paper really is unpleasant. Believe me, it&#8217;s a regular problem.

As a dog walker on site I have the responsibility to deal with similar issues of course but many campers take no such responsibility and show no signs of understanding how to deal properly with it either.

If their response had indicated that they knew what they were about I might have felt differently but it was clear from their reaction that they had not thought about it at all, with the additional factor of the saw in the backpack I didn&#8217;t feel inclined towards a seventh experiment I&#8217;m afraid.

I expect Wayland would if they were dressed as Vikings

They could have been dressed like the Queen of Sheba for all the difference it would make. What on Earth has that got to do with this matter.

Doesn't dressing as Odin pretty much require turning a blind eye?

Well done, nice to see someone is paying attention.

In this instance, I think your a cockeral. You called their bluff on the shovel, but at the same time being rude. Just because you are a 'character' ? Who has an enviable profession and folk can't seem to get enough of your role plays. What gives you the right to be so rude to a courting couple who like to camp, even if it means climbing a fence ? You sheriff of sherwood all of a sudden as opposed to...."im a Viking"

Bang aht of order......unless, you can on Odins eye say you've never trespasses, illegally camped......blah blah blah...

How do you know they wouldn't have made a digging stick......

Love n kisses .....Chiseller....Anglo Saxon

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Wow, there&#8217;s so much wrong with this I don&#8217;t know where to start.

As stated above the shovel question was just a verbal tool, not quite a bluff but along those lines I suppose. I am puzzeled by the fact that you think I was rude?

I normally only become rude as a proportional response to ignorant behaviour from others. Perhaps you could remind me when I first rattled your cage as you seem to have personal issues with me that I really don&#8217;t understand.

My post above is a simple précis of a cordial conversation that lasted about 20 minutes. My regrets at having to turn them away were largely because I quite liked them and under different circumstances could have got on with them quite well.

Swearing on Odin's or any other imaginary beings eye would mean little to me but I can say upon my own honour, which I hold very highly, that I have never illegally camped.

I take it from your attitude that you could not say the same and perhaps that, or simple envy, is a clue as to where your rude and aggressive attitude stems from.

Unless I am mistaken, you seem to have jumped to such erroneous conclusions simply because you think you know something about me from the posts I choose to make here. That would be on a par with believing in imaginary beings I suppose but not particularly wise.

In conclusion, dealing with such issues is never comfortable, as I said there are occasions when it makes me feel like a bit of a swine, but of course it is always easier to sit on the sidelines and whinge about things rather than stand up and do something about them.

Last edited:

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I wasn't having a pop, but from the title we were told it is an activity that you performed (POACHER) so I just found it mildly hypocritical that you stop folk behaving as you do/did.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Get Orff my land or i'll set Forseti on you!

So do you carry a shovel to burry your dog crap since surely they must go in the woods as well?

Scrape & burn just don&#8217;t forget about public footpaths like I did by accident since I had an audience. :sulkoff:

The requirement is to bag and bin it here.

I'm not sure that is the best approach as it seems to be shifting the problem and adding plastics (biodegradable or not) to the equation as well but that is what we have to do.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Nowt personal (i took time to wish you well on your birthday) and reading back through your replies, why not take more time in the first instance to explain your judgement of the said couple. As someone else pointed out, the title did no favours to the post. Imo you were rude to the couple, that's my opinion, as is your own opinion of the couple and of myself. I can live with that. As for enviable, that I am, and as Uncle Ben said....with great power , comes great responsability.
You have a gift, that of being in a position to educate others of the old, better ways. Why give up on folks now. Re sheriff, tha never said in your first instance, that you were involved with the 'friends group' or the efforts of the group to look after the land.
It could have been anyone that made the thread, my response would be the same, maybe more strongly in.your case due to your educactional personna.

On reflection, perhaps I'm judging you as I have judged others of your ilk, friends groups etc in my local area. Yes I have and allegedly still do illegally camp, allegedly I have poached and I have been an under-keeper on a decent sized game estate ( I never poached that land , before during, or after). Our local woods suffers from nature abuse, I criticize and educate where I can, but never tell someone what they can or can't do.
so I have been both sides of the fence. You've got good shoulders, don't let them be weighted with spuds, save them for the weak.

;)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Fair enough mate, my first post could have been a bit more detailed but I had a meal to get on the table at seven.

Sorry if my reply seemed a bit testy but there are a few people around here that do like to take a pop and it gets a bit wearing at times.

I normally just let it ride but reading your post just before going to bed gave me too much time to get wound up about it I guess.

No hard feelings for my part.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Fair enough mate, my first post could have been a bit more detailed but I had a meal to get on the table at seven.

Sorry if my reply seemed a bit testy but there are a few people around here that do like to take a pop and it gets a bit wearing at times.

I normally just let it ride but reading your post just before going to bed gave me too much time to get wound up about it I guess.

No hard feelings for my part.

:beer:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Ah. I can see how that would lead to the wrong impression, mea culpa.

It was simply meant to illustrate my discomfort at having to stop people doing something I wish I could actually do myself if it were legal.

Perhaps the wrong choice of words.

Interesting point you raise there. "...if it were legal". Is it legal to rough camp? There may well be civil issues - trespass etc - but are/would they have actually been breaking any criminal law? And if it is just trespass, the only position open to the land-owner is restitution - if no damage left, then no issue?

(I'm not stating a case here, just wondering about the actual legal position!)

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
You said that someone else would have just called the police in your first post but nothing illegal was being done and only a civil wrong was being contemplated if that. Glad the police in your area can attend all the burglaries and have time to attend non-crimes as well.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Interesting point you raise there. "...if it were legal". Is it legal to rough camp? There may well be civil issues - trespass etc - but are/would they have actually been breaking any criminal law? And if it is just trespass, the only position open to the land-owner is restitution - if no damage left, then no issue?

(I'm not stating a case here, just wondering about the actual legal position!)

As I said, I don't fully understand the legal ins and outs but there are certainly tricks and traps that the police can employ such as the damage and littering fines.

Either way, I prefer to stay on the right side of the law, civil or criminal, and it's not so difficult when you only live a hundred miles South of the border.

Used to be a real pain when I lived in Gloucestershire though.

You said that someone else would have just called the police in your first post but nothing illegal was being done and only a civil wrong was being contemplated if that. Glad the police in your area can attend all the burglaries and have time to attend non-crimes as well.

Wrong is wrong and the police are under presure to deal with anti social behaviour of all sorts. It's a quid pro quo really, the police help us out with this and in return we give them information about the drug dealers in the car park, that sort of thing.

Achieving any progress in this sort of situation requires hard work and co-operation built up over a number of years. It's not easy and sometimes we don't get the response from the police that we would like but such is life.

On the whole the problem is reducing. As word gets around that they will get hassle if they camp here they tend to go somewhere else instead. Not ideal but that's perhaps the best we can expect.

As I said, it's much easier to sit on the sidelines and whinge rather than actually doing something constructive.

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
my views on wild camping are get permission first before attempting this apart from the argument that damage is caused or litter left knowbody ever talks about the dangers involved in wild camping . there are more and more people hunting in the uk and scotland now than ever before and more and more hi power rifles being used ,sooner or later someone will be injured or even killed due to this i am sure.
atb wayne

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Fortunately we don't have hunting on site and not too much trouble with firearms offences. (That is something the police are very quick to deal with.)

There are a few safety issues, mostly with regards to the many old coal mines in the area some well capped some not so well and I did have to let one group know that the hollow they had built their fire in was actually the top of a 200' mine shaft which was only covered with a few railway sleepers and a bit of soil.

Mining in the area goes back at least 500 years and many of the old bell pits are in distinctly dodgy condition now.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
As I said, I don't fully understand the legal ins and outs but there are certainly tricks and traps that the police can employ such as the damage and littering fines.

Either way, I prefer to stay on the right side of the law, civil or criminal, and it's not so difficult when you only live a hundred miles South of the border.

Used to be a real pain when I lived in Gloucestershire though.

Wrong is wrong and the police are under presure to deal with anti social behaviour of all sorts. It's a quid pro quo really, the police help us out with this and in return we give them information about the drug dealers in the car park, that sort of thing.

Achieving any progress in this sort of situation requires hard work and co-operation built up over a number of years. It's not easy and sometimes we don't get the response from the police that we would like but such is life.

On the whole the problem is reducing. As word gets around that they will get hassle if they camp here they tend to go somewhere else instead. Not ideal but that's perhaps the best we can expect.

As I said, it's much easier to sit on the sidelines and whinge rather than actually doing something constructive.

Well I for one support you wholeheartedly in the action you took, but also understand that maybe you felt a bit guilty or heavy handed in that specific instance. If that site has a recognized status, but is being damaged by people camping (either through malice, ignorance or both) then what other option did you have?

You have already said that you have (very bravely in my opinion) spoken to some of the worst offenders, as well as the couple in this thread so nobody can accuse you of being selective in your dealings with people.

Unfortunately, human behaviour being what it is, it is the damage/littering left by some that influenced your interaction with the couple referred to.

Damed if you do, damned if you don't.

Well done you I say.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Well I for one support you wholeheartedly in the action you took, but also understand that maybe you felt a bit guilty or heavy handed in that specific instance. If that site has a recognized status, but is being damaged by people camping (either through malice, ignorance or both) then what other option did you have?

You have already said that you have (very bravely in my opinion) spoken to some of the worst offenders, as well as the couple in this thread so nobody can accuse you of being selective in your dealings with people.

Unfortunately, human behaviour being what it is, it is the damage/littering left by some that influenced your interaction with the couple referred to.

Damed if you do, damned if you don't.

Well done you I say.
I second that!

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
Fortunately we don't have hunting on site and not too much trouble with firearms offences. (That is something the police are very quick to deal with.)

There are a few safety issues, mostly with regards to the many old coal mines in the area some well capped some not so well and I did have to let one group know that the hollow they had built their fire in was actually the top of a 200' mine shaft which was only covered with a few railway sleepers and a bit of soil.

Mining in the area goes back at least 500 years and many of the old bell pits are in distinctly dodgy condition now.

hi wayland, i wasnt talking specifically about your ground but the point i was trying to get across was that it is often the case and people pressume they are doing no harm when in fact quite possibly harm could come to them for a number of reasons.
i see so many things going wrong with people doing what they please and no consideration for what they are doing from walking dogs off leash to attack livestock or wildlife or having to clear up litter and camp fires that have been lit in forrests. i would in your shoes have done the same for looking after your ground, atb wayne

woodpoet

Mar 16, 2012
Walthamstow
You can't win. You did what you thought was right at the time and going by past experience I agree with you whole heartedly. Too many people disregard rules and spoil it for those who just want to enjoy Nature. Good on you.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
So now the ground is dangerous and so you have to warn of mine shafts. Owned by the Council who must be glad your group is taking responsibility for the public liability issues, insured are we? Or is it still their responsibility for this unusable bit of industrial wasteland that threatens one with death if you set foot in it?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
So now the ground is dangerous and so you have to warn of mine shafts. Owned by the Council who must be glad your group is taking responsibility for the public liability issues, insured are we? Or is it still their responsibility for this unusable bit of industrial wasteland that threatens one with death if you set foot in it?

Always itching for a fight aren't you?

I'm tempted to think you are just a bit of a troll from the few posts I've actually noticed from you but I do hope there turns out to be more to you than that at some point.

For my part I have no intention of engaging in a battle of wits with such an obviously unarmed opponent, so carry on making a fool of yourself for all I care because I've seen precious little to make me interested in your opinion so far.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE