Poacher turned Gamekeeper

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I feel a bit of a swine sometimes.

There is a small patch of land near where I live that gets used by the local Neds for camping, amongst other less savoury activities.

The result is that the "Friends" group that looks after the place in the councils absence, spend a lot of time clearing up litter, fire scars or badly cut and damaged trees on a regular basis.

We also lost several acres of important habitat when a camp fire got out of control last year.

So, on my way to walking the dog tonight I see a nice looking couple struggling under overloaded rucksacks heading for the approach road. I parked up and waited to see if they would turn onto the track.

"Can I ask you where you are intending to camp tonight" say I

"Up in the woods" they say.

I then have to inform them that they cannot camp without permission and the council doesn't give permission to camp here, etc. etc.

"Oh.. but we're responsible and we wont leave any rubbish around" is their immediate reply.

I look them up and down and say "I don't see your shovel."

They look puzzled... "We haven't got one. Why would we need a shovel?"

"Well, where are you intending to go to the toilet? Or were you expecting us to clear that up for you?"

You could almost hear the penny drop as they realised they hadn't even considered that.

I suggested they walked another half mile up the hill to the scout camp, if they are quiet they sometimes let people camp there but I suspect they will have no luck and try to sneak onto the land later tonight.

I'm not the only one looking out for campers and I suspect someone else will just call the police.

It's a shame really because my impression of them is that they would have tried their best but even that usually involves cutting trees and leaving a fire scar.

I feel a bit like a poacher turned gamekeeper when this sort of thing happens but even I never camp on that land, though I would love to at times.

I wish the Scots would invade us and push the border south of here sometimes but in the meantime what else can we do.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
could get kilted up and storm the place for you Wayland, but i demand some camping rights in return

real shame when a nice bit of land gets destroyed by people like that, even worse when it is an important habitat and the council have no intention of sorting it out. what can you really do

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I feel a bit of a swine sometimes.

There is a small patch of land near where I live that gets used by the local Neds for camping, amongst other less savoury activities.

I wish the Scots would invade us and push the border south of here sometimes but in the meantime what else can we do.

Wouldn't the Scots laws just mean that the local "Neds" had a legal right to camp there? As would the couple you turned away?

I'm probably obtuse, but I'm not sure how that would help the damage?

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
You old grump! Poor bloke was probably out courtin' with his lady. Doubt they'd have much time to cause any damage. Mind, I had a couple that parked down my lane. I left some rabbit guts on the windscreen and made my retreat. Never seen 'em since.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Wouldn't the Scots laws just mean that the local "Neds" had a legal right to camp there? As would the couple you turned away?

I'm probably obtuse, but I'm not sure how that would help the damage?

Anyone could camp there with 'responsible access' eg leave no rubbish, if you have to have a fire, very small, no scars and only driftwood, no impact on the flora and fauna. So their type of camping would not be allowed.

There is no Legal right to camp anywhere here, in Scotland, just responsible access. For example you are supposed to move away after 48hrs and not have group camping, also light a fire if you need to (how often do we light fire when we could use a stove ?)

I light a fire in a BBQ bucket etc if not on a beach, beaches are easier as you can light it below the high tide line etc.

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
I think most campy/backpacker types have all they need in terms of fuel and stoves, and probably wouldn't dream of chopping wood or building a fire. It'd be out with the gas stove, up tents, and so on for most folk...
the vast majority of backpackers go along with the 'leave no trace' philosophy.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Good on you wayland, this is what bothers me with bushcraft becoming more popular and advertised iv noticed alot more damage, rubbish and signs of camping in the woods over the last few years. People are starting to think why pay on a campsite, lets go up in the woods and get a fire going "its a bit windy lets light it in the butt of that 200 year old tree".

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Indeed it does - I'm all in favour of individuals and groups keeping the irresponsible off private / sensitive land. I have personally seen the damage caused by irresponsible use - its horrifying.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Gosh what a sense of power, to do what you had no right to do, wish I was that macho. You don't tackle the "Neds" then?

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I think most campy/backpacker types have all they need in terms of fuel and stoves, and probably wouldn't dream of chopping wood or building a fire. It'd be out with the gas stove, up tents, and so on for most folk...

As a landowner, you see a fire on your land, even a wee one, alarm bells ring. Look at the blog posts here, lots have a fire. A recent site I was had a rule of only BBQs off the ground eg no disposable ones on grass, and light on the beach near the high tide line.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
In this instance, I think your a cockeral. You called their bluff on the shovel, but at the same time being rude. Just because you are a 'character' ? Who has an enviable profession and folk can't seem to get enough of your role plays. What gives you the right to be so rude to a courting couple who like to camp, even if it means climbing a fence ? You sheriff of sherwood all of a sudden as opposed to...."im a Viking"

Bang aht of order......unless, you can on Odins eye say you've never trespasses, illegally camped......blah blah blah...

How do you know they wouldn't have made a digging stick......

Love n kisses .....Chiseller....Anglo Saxon

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding

Tiptop

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
If you had to inform them " they cannot camp without permission and the council doesn't give permission to camp here, etc. etc. " surely you had done enough to educate them. Should they then subsequently decide to ignore you then that is their conscious decision to do so. Also as far as I'm aware should the police be called they themselves can do nothing with respect to trespass as it is a civil not criminal offence other than ask them to move on etc.

I am all for responsible camping and advocating safe camp craft but to be frank if somebody such as yourself had been that forward to me whilst I was out and about I sure would have questioned your own specific responsibility or duty towards being so frank and forward.

My 2 pence

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Personally I would've let them on their way, probably even showed them the best spot and given them a few pointers if they seemed decent enough. I've seen the same thing on the fishing scene. The worst case being some local elitists ousting a father and his two young sons from a prime spot because they didn't have the 'right' gear, were casting over their lines and generally didn't know what they were doing. I let them have my spot, use my gear, showed them how to cast and got them some lovely flatfish, then gave the other locals a mouthful once they'd left. Show them the way, don't show them the door.

Edit: I actually feel sick now. I've used up my self-righteous quota for the next two years!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE