plans for wood burning stove from a gas bottle ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Hi Folks,

The cylinder wall thickness is about 3mm and I cut them easily with a jigsaw and a holesaw.

With the worry about residual gas it is possible to take the valve out of the top and it is a "normal" thread, tapered yes but it is a right hander rather than a left hander, you can then fill the bottle with water which will displace any remaining gas, I just leave them inverted for a week with the valve open, this usually does the trick.

Once you have cut the fist hole you can also put a lit fuel soaked rag in to burn out the inside...

I have done three of these stoves so far and not had a problem with any residual gas.

For the grate I used some 1/2 inch angle iron and welded it to the inside of the cylinder and then tacked some steel mesh in as well.

LS

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
Sorry i think you may have mis understood .I was thinking of cutting of the dome part of the second cyl in half to make a baffle just below the flue outlet . do you find you need a grate as i was going to miss that bit out on the first one . ilan

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
You shouldn't need a grate if your only burning wood.
A lot of commercial stoves list the grate as an optional extra if you want to burn coal etc.
You could fill the bottom of the stove with some concrete to bring it up to level with your door.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE