Plans for the weekend?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
B

bombadil

Unhappily, no bushcrafting for me this weekend as I'm stuck in the concrete jungle of hotels and highrises that is the Estoril/Cascais area :(
Happily, my better half returns from Brazil on the morrow and we have a very nice room booked on the beach at Guincho... ;)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
This weekend I will mostly be traveling and hopefully by Monday morning a journey on two planes, a train and a bus will find me in the small town of Le Puy en Velay in Haute-Loire. From there I will walk the 360 km of the Chemin de Stevenson crossing the Cevanne mountains and Gauvedon meeting up with the Woodlore team in the Ardeche on the 8th May for a weeks canoeing.

It's a hard life, but someones gotta do it ;)

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
On Saturday I'll be finishing off a pair of turnshoes, then starting to make two more pairs for my grandchildren.

myturnshoes.jpg

Here's my size 11's. they are made inside out and turned after soaking, so the stitching is on the inside and doesn't wear out so quickly. They are made from oak tanned leather.

On Sunday I'll probably get some practice in with my atlatl and a couple of new darts I made.

Eric

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Unfortunatly im no gonna be able to get 'outdoors' until after my exams. No one to go walking with (and i haven't passed my test yet :( ). So im sticking local. I'll work in the morning then take a trip to the snooker hall :D

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
well i went to the forest on sunday and picked up a quantity of wood punk for tinder. i may spend a few nights there in the summer if i can find a quiet spot :D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I had a good day today. A visit from a high ranking officer saw me out and about in a Landrover "Wolf". I don't often get to drive these now, so I had fun thrashing the pants of it in the quarry!!!

Spamel

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
sandbender said:
This weekend I will mostly be traveling and hopefully by Monday morning a journey on two planes, a train and a bus will find me in the small town of Le Puy en Velay in Haute-Loire. From there I will walk the 360 km of the Chemin de Stevenson crossing the Cevanne mountains and Gauvedon meeting up with the Woodlore team in the Ardeche on the 8th May for a weeks canoeing.

It's a hard life, but someones gotta do it ;)
That is one great trip sandbender :) I presume you have your 'Modestine' lined up :D.

Looks like you have timed it just right as up until last Thursday we were getting snow up on the Aubrac above 1,200 metres but the weather looks set fair from Wednesday on so it will 'probably' have gone by the time you start the voyage. Still, everything is late this year and still cold and you get up to some fairly high areas I believe on the GR70? But in the sunshine it will feel nice and warm and just right for walking with the coolness still in the soil.

Are you sure on the distance? If memory serves me the Stevenson Trail is around 250km long? Or are you walking further each end?

The Ardeche area where the Woodlore canoe courses are held is stunning. Almost as beautiful as our Gorges here :)

If you want good, well detailed weather forecasts for the trip the best one is :

Pleinchamp - Météo

It is the French farmers web site and provides a (generally accurate unlike some) 5 day forecast for each department free (obviously the Cévenne is not one of these but is the old name for that particular region). Just go to that site and select the appropriate department on your route. Hopefully you will see some lovely sunny partly cloudy ones with decent 20C+ temperatures now ;)

There is a good English language page for the area here:

Causses Cévennes

Check out the The history of the Causses and Cevennes region page which is really informative. Also the History Of The Lozere page for lots of interesting info and not just history. What is says about the climate:
CLIMATE
The atmosphere is prone to abrupt variations in temperature, it passes sometimes in the same day of a sharp heat to an intense cold.
The region has in general a cold and wet climate. In north, the winter lasts six months, and in certain years, nine months; in the South, it lasts only four months.
In general, the temperature is only in warm in the Cevennes valleys, situated in the south.
The winter usually is rigorous, spring rainy, the summer stormy and the autumn beautiful, but only towards the end.
The thermometer extremities are commonly - l5° and of + 25°C.

WINDS
The dominant winds in the North are those of the North and the East, and in the South of the department from the West and South.
For the silk-worms they fear Eastern wind, which is dry and hot and called ‘’the white mariner’’.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions for the trip, although I guess you will have it all planned out nicely already. Florac is only a 2 hour drive for me ;)

Bon chance!

Simon

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Saturday I’m of for a long walk to get some mud time in, a bit foraging and hope fully some antler finding if we’ve timed it right. sunday is alotment day need to sow alot of seed to catch up.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Just got back from a family wedding in the Scottish Borders.

The actual ceremony was at the top of the Eildon hills,great idea for a wedding.About 80 people made the effort of the one hours walk up the hill and there was 4x4 transport for the elderly,infirm and congenitally idle.

The rest of the weekend passed in the usual way with the reception and the ceilidh the day after.

Anyone else been to similar "outdoors" type weddings?

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton

We got married in an 11 century barn on a working farm (not quite on top of a hill though) they hadn't changed the law in England before we got married so it had to be in a licensed building I think the law was going to change so it was the person that married you that had to have licence then you could get married any ware public I don't know if it happened yet. Our wedding was as out door as we could get the weather was on our side and we had a great day.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
This is a great thread as it comes alive every week!

So, what are people up to this long bank holiday weekend? The weathers fine today, although that's not to say it's going to last!

I wonder how many people after seeing Ray last night are going to get out on the lakes and rivers :D

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
Tony said:
So, what are people up to this long bank holiday weekend? The weathers fine today, although that's not to say it's going to last!
Well, here in the south east it's suppoed to be a lovely weekend, and if I get the chance I'm planning on gettng out for a long overdue hike!

Still not sure where, although I'm tempted by the Saxon Shore Way. Where ever Iend up I can't wait to get out and about... :D

Hellz

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I went to Hamburg yesterday evening, for a night with Paul Rodgers and Queen!!

My exact words when Brian May came on stage where "No ****ing way!" I still couldn't believe it was him, I was convinced it was a great big joke and some naff tribute band where going to come on. Roger Taylor was at his gurning best on the drums and Brian May is a golden god!!

I had a great night, if you hadn't figured that out yet!!!! :D

Spamel

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Tonight We take the Scouts to the local District Climbing wall

Saturday is a training afternoon for the demo camp next weekend - we're building "gadgets" and trying some of the open fire receipes (including bannock bread!). In the evening I'm off to the Butser hill ancient Village, where they burn a wicker man for the public every May bank holiday.

Sunday sees my local woods conservation centres' open day, where there'll be a display of woodland tools and their use, and local craftsman showing off!

Monday I think I'll relax a bit...

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I'm hoping to get some time in the local woods, maybe try and do some badger tracking/spotting.
I also hope to ponnasse (spl) a trout and maybe give RM's bannock recipe a try (minus mosquito!).
I seem to think I owe Tone a tutorial for the site, which I will at least try to make a start at.
Oh - and probably lots of stuff I've not yet been told I'm doing! (Wry grin smilie needed here!)

Dave

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Well, the weekend has gone and I thought I'd let you know how it turned out.

Pannassing (panissing?) the trout.
Well, the results were edible, but nothing like as nice as the salmon I tried following the demonstration on my course last year. It seems somewhat more difficult to prepare the smaller fish, especially stripping the meat away from the bones, but I suppose like most things there is a nack that comes with practice. The other tricky thing was judging when the cooking time, again I guess practice and experience comes in here too. I will be trying again, but with thicker, meatier fish, probably salmon.

Bannock
Again the result was edible, in fact quite better than I expected! I did have trouble handling the dough! It was stickier than sticky stuff! I had problems making the stuff thin enough, resulting in the outside being well done (burnt!) and the inside only just done. Again, I will be giving this another go.

Badger Watching
This was something Elaine, my wife, has been wanting to do for some time. We got to the local woods with about an hour to go to sunset. A quick recce showed the badger set was still clear and in use, so we went off to the other side of the wood to wait for a bit. We went back to the vantage point we had picked out earlier, over looking the set and settled down. Barely 2 minutes later a young badger appeared, almost to order! He started to head right for where we were hiding! It must have smelt, saw or heard us, because it beat a hasty retreat to the set, and still hadn't come out again after half an hour.So well satisfied we left the wood and headed for home! Total success, especially as I'd also managed to snaffle a couple of bits of birch for spoon blanks too!

Tutorial
Sorry Tone, but it will hapen soon, maybe next weekend?

Other Stuff
I got volunteered for gardening duties at various points over the weekend, pretty mundane really, except for the fledgling blackbird that got quite freindly after I threw a few worms to it. It now appears very quickly if I go into the garden and whistle! Magic!

How were your weekends?

Dave

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm working (Indigenous Natural Dyes) at a Green Future's Environmental Fayre at Talamh this weekend.
http://www.talamhlifecentre.org.uk/events/page

There's space for camping (very cheaply) and lots of outdoorsy things. Campfires, eco loos, music and people, etc. It's inclined to be a bit New Age Hippy mixed with Eco Warrior sort of stuff but valid. Don't wear good kit, think folk festivals in fields. Children very welcome. Should be fun.

I've got a feeling that this is not really the place to post this notice, if a Mod wants to shift it, please do so.
Cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE