Planned workshops for the Moot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Not seen a list of any planned workshops yet for this years Moot.

I was thinking of having a break from carving netting needles and do a session on making Native American fishing hooks like these if there's any interest

P1020790.jpg

I'll have a scout round during the camping period prior to the moot to see if there's anywhere that we can harvest the roots, otherwise we can use linen string instead of roots.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I would be interested in a session learning how to do those!
I hope to offer a workshop on flint and steel firelighting afain this year.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi guys, myself and my wife are thinking about coming and bringing my kids, will there be any workshops aimed specifically at kids? I'm sorry bit I've never been before so I'm not sure how it all works.
Thanks
Steve

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Tony

Is there going to be flint knapping this year?

Hope you don't mind me answering your question Stephen :)
Not that I'm aware of, and no Lords :(

Hi guys, myself and my wife are thinking about coming and bringing my kids, will there be any workshops aimed specifically at kids? I'm sorry bit I've never been before so I'm not sure how it all works.
Thanks
Steve

There will be Steve.
Previous years we had First Aid, storytelling, making hammocks from netting, family bowdrill, IIRC bowmaking, etc. If they're not doing workshops, are with their parents - they'll be running around and making new friends. They'll be OK ;)

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Apart from the organised leatherwork course I'll be running, there will also be a bunch of other stuff I'd be happy to show people. These include, warp weighted loom weaving, rigid heddle belt weaving, felting and needle felting, gypsy clothes peg making, wooden tent peg making..... there's more, but I can't think of them at the moment.
I may also set up a workshop area combined with a social gathering area near where Cameron and I will be camped - cosy and welcoming with a kettle always on the boil.

Biker

Hey Steve, we will have 5 yer old twin girls with us, they will probably run two workshops. Amok and Mischief.

Where do I sign up?

If they do Wanton and Destruction I'd be most interested too,

I've been emailing with John Fenna and Mesquite a bit over the last couple of days getting the feel of what my first Moot will be like and what to expect, though I feel a little wiser about it obviously being there will be the clincher. BUt what I am looking forward to the most is simply learning stuff. Figured since I was coming by car I'd bring assorted tools, including basic carving chisel, etc, Planning on bringing my compond bow as well after Steve (Mesquite) suggested that might be a good idea since archery had been done before. Catapult will be getting thrown in a bag as well. Seesm there's a sort of target ractice session going on using mint imperials as the ammo. How cool is that? Biodegradable ammo!

The only killer for me is finding out I'd eed to pay £350+ to sail return from Caen to Portsmouth. So I'm planning on going over at Dover and staying in Kent for a couple of days then head across country to the Moot that way. Even with fuel costs accounted for it'l still be cheaper this way.

Anyway just looking orward to putting faces to names on this forum.

See ya in a few weeks.

Me

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I've been emailing with John Fenna and Mesquite a bit over the last couple of days getting the feel of what my first Moot will be like and what to expect, though I feel a little wiser about it obviously being there will be the clincher.

Who's to say we've not been leading you astray with our advice? :evilangel:

Lupin Rider

Mar 15, 2009
uk
I will be running a number of First Aid sessions including the Pre Moot Course. I will probably do another first aid course for the small folk.

We had about fifteen kds under six In our group last year, much smaller group this year but those that went to the kids first aid still talk about it.

Always lots to do for the kids. I had them lined up lighting fires, sycamore whistles though broadly are banned!

Biker

If no one minds me hijacking this thread a bit with this suggestion but I wondered if it's possible to request courses at The Moot?

I mean for me I'd like some pointers about using a compass properly. Mostly to remove any bad habits I may have picked up. As I've kinda used a compass as a gauge to say "thataway" is the direction I need to be heading for. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, I dunno.

Another would be fire lighting using flint and a striker. That comes under the "white man's magic" catagory for me.

Foraging edibles would be great but I'm pretty sure that'd be on the list of courses anyway.

I think Im a bit rusty with my first aid, and feel I could do with a brush up. It's been over 9 years since I did my Fire Brigade first attenders course.

Will the Dutch oven cooking classes be repeated? As I saw that listed last year and that was once class I htink i ouwld have made sure i attended had I gone.

Hmmm what else? Well further suggestions would be nice I suppose, but since I don't know the proper protocols of what goes on at The Moot I've probably put my foot right in my gob posting this. Apologies if I am treading on toes or sound like I'm taking the pi$$.

Moi

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Another would be fire lighting using flint and a striker. That comes under the "white man's magic" catagory for me.

Will the Dutch oven cooking classes be repeated? As I saw that listed last year and that was once class I htink i ouwld have made sure i attended had I gone.

Those activities will be happening regularly at Dingly Dell so you'll have plenty of opportunity to pick some tips up :)

Have you got your own flint and steel Aaron? If not I know a man who could sell you the complete kit :D You might even get a specially discounted rate from him :lmao:

Biker

Those activities will be happening regularly at Dingly Dell so you'll have plenty of opportunity to pick some tips up :)

Have you got your own flint and steel Aaron? If not I know a man who could sell you the complete kit :D You might even get a specially discounted rate from him :lmao:

Cool beans.

As for the flint and steel jobby, no not yet. I'm hoping to do a bit of "I'll make you an offer you can't refuse" trading myself :deal:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE