Pinzgauer - Suitable Expedition Camper Conversion?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Like to hear from anyone who has some experience with the Pinzgauer or anything else suitable for a Expeditionary Camper conversion.

I would like at some point to undertake a camper conversion of ( I think ) a Pinzgauer 6x6 or Bedford 4 Tonner to be able to do some expedition type things and generally have a nice little all terrain camper vechicle.

So any views positive or negative? Or are there any other vechicles that would make good candidates ( reasonable price ) for expedition candidates.

I am trying to thing in terms of;-

availability of parts and spares. ( the 101FC is getting really old now )
Physical ability
Price
Size ( I could ship a Pinz in a Shipping container for that 3 year Oz Coast trip..Dreaming! )
Fuel Consumption

So any takers??

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I've done all my expedition stuff (from Desert to Arctic) in a 110 - don't believe everything you hear; they're good vehicles for the price.

Pinzgauers are pricey but excellent off-road vehicles. C of G is a bit high for some terrain types but ALL vehicles are a compromise. Don't forget though that fuel consumption is a major consideration - you will often need the ability to cover 300 to 400 miles between fill-ups (sometimes more) and that means carrying cans for most vehicles.

Get a copy of Tom Sheppard's Vehicle-Dependent Expedition Guide - there's a new 2008 version out and it's excellent.

Aug 17, 2008
Hampshire
The RAF Trauma Management Vehicle is fun:

dscd0554.jpg

I'd have thought that some of them must be coming up for disposal, though I've never seen one for sale. Maybe worth looking at Witham's website - they handle most of MoD's disposal sales.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i work with a tree surgeon who has a 4x4 pinzgauer tipper convertion. he uses it for work aswell as touring and it has never let him down. they are very simple and were designed to be easy to repair (not that they ever go wrong). as for off roading aparently there nowhere they cant go because they have portal axles so they have reely good ground clearance. miles per gallon isnt that great thow.

he has owned loads of other 4x4s and unimogs over the years but he says the pinzgauer has been his favorite. il admit im kinda falling in love with it too:D lol

pete

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
If it were me i would get a Hi-lux with the long load carrying area, they are decent to drive, and they are bullet proof. A few bolts takes the box bit off the back and you could bolt anything you want on there.

I was in a pinzagaur in Hawai'i and i wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. They aren't comfy, any decent distance on tarmack and you would be deaf

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Part are expensive and hard to get hold of - it easier to get 101 part than Pinz.

110 (300Tdi) or Land Cruiser 70 series

That said Tom Sheppard now drives a G-Wagon as it the only one that is the new Euro-cat approved. Good but expensive.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE