UK Hammocks, Bespoke Expedition equipment

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Finding well designed high quality equipment that will survive the rigors of prolonged and repeated expeditionary work is not easy, finding anything manufactured in the UK is exceptionally difficult; to even entertain the idea that there exists within these shores a place where a talented artisan will take the time to listen to your needs and tailor make equipment to meet your requirements without issuing a bill that would make a sheik swallow……. Well it’s an absurd notion.

Which is why I feel I’ve discovered a very rare beast indeed, something I imagined had died out somewhere towards the end of the 19th century, a bespoke expedition outfitter.

UKHammocks makes hammocks…. in the UK; but there is much more to this company than its factually concise title suggests.

The website is basic but serves to provide an over view of the base models available which cover the most frequently requested features and are aimed squarely at the lightweight hammock camping fraternity, amongst whom the companies reputation is well established. But the real magic begins with a phone call to the industrious Mr Howes, the proprietor of UK hammocks who hand cuts and sews every product personally; the experience is akin to visiting a traditional tailor.

Mr Howe’s will enquire as to what sir desires, a gossamer fabric of woven dragonfly wings for those light and fast summer weekends? Or would sir prefer something reassuringly robust for an extended expedition into the unknown? And just like a knowing tailor he will gently guide your decision, advising politely against any ill conceived request whist simultaneously suggesting a more suitable solution in a manner which implies it was your idea all along, thereby ensuring that you always depart with an item fit for purpose.

He’ll also note your height and weight of course, which is essential because regardless of whether you purchase a standard design from the website, or require some custom extras, everything is made to order, there is no ‘off the shelf’ stock, there aren’t even patterns for cutting the designs, just rolls of fabric, an industrial sewing machine and a large man with a large pair of scissors. For each hammock order the required fabric is hung, the appropriate weight of its intended occupant is arranged to replicate their height, marks are expertly made and pins are placed before cutting begins.

But hammocks are just the beginning, there are mosquito nets and quilts filled with the highest quality down (or Primaloft if synthetic better suits your needs), bags can be custom fabricated to transport those essential items, Über strong cords with breaking strains that defy belief can be spliced into whoopee slings, recovery shackles or anything else you desire and wonderful thingamajigs are offered in titanium and carbon fibre.

My jungle camps have been made immeasurably more comfortable by the works of Mr Howes and are the envy of my travelling companions. I recline in the blissful comfort of my jungle lounge chair each evening, marvelling that such luxury comes at a cost of just 200 grams and fits in a shirt pocket.

Another item, the ‘EDC hammock’ is one of the most versatile items I own, in camp it’s a hanging wardrobe for storing and organising my gear with a zip to keep the insects out and also provides a second chair for camp guests.
On the move it makes a quick, comfortable seat for brew stops and an emergency hammock to doze in if caught away from camp for a night, it serves as a zippered bag to carry bulky items and if necessary it can be pressed into use as a stretcher to transport a casualty; combined with a head net it fulfils all the requirements of the ‘survival scarf’ as described by Mors Kochanski, the multitude of uses for which are too numerous to list here but are provided by a quick Google search. Not bad for an item which can be hidden in a fist like a magicians handkerchief!

No single company has had such a dramatic impact on the quality and comfort of my camp outfit.

And the hammocks, well you’ll just have to experience one for your self.

The jungle lounge chair:
Borneo19.jpg

My jungle camp. Every thing in the photo below was made by UK hammocks except the tarp. Jungle chair on the right, EDC centre frame with pack zipped inside, hammock and a custom mosquito net clothes bag to keep insects out of my wet clothes & boots whilst I sleep (this whole camp packs down into half a PLCE side pouch or 5lt):

camp_zpsec84a6ac.jpg

Hammock and EDC for kit storage:

hammock-1_zpsa662c707.jpg

Pocket EDC as a chair:

EDC1_zps6a1811bb.jpg

Pocket EDC hammock as a snoozing hammock when away from camp or still in wet gear (even without trees if your creative)

EDC_zps71de5a19.jpg

Hanging pool side (EDC zipped to the neck, add a head net and you can snooze without worrying about insects if your forced to stay a night away from camp.)
I’m assured that those lines have a 730kg breaking strain!

EDCzipped_zpsb2e00600.jpg

Pole bed camp in Idaho (made by UKhammocks by request) attracted a lot of interest, thats Dave Westcott on the left and Mors Kochanski centre frame. jungle chair just visible in the background, this whole camp packed into a trouser map pocket and weighed about 500g:

polebed_zps924f02c0.jpg

Last edited:

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Very much agree Stuart, I have been a happy customer of Mat and Uk Hammocks for a while, not once have I been disappointed with service or products.
thanks for posting the pictures, very interesting and some very good ideas.

NedB33

Mar 31, 2013
United Kingdom
I placed an order with him last night, before seeing this review. Fantastic though, thanks for sharing. Very much looking forward to receiving mine! Excellent service from Mat and I'm sure the product will be just as good, if not better!

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
In reply to requests for photographs of the pack size, this is the pole bed from the last photograph of original post (green rectangle), the Jungle chair, and the EDC hammock next to a 1lt canteen for size comparison.

DSCF3298_zps209b8352.jpg

DSCF3300_zps1f97a53b.jpg

EDC in the hand, with leatherman charge for reference (as i have freakishly small hands), the jungle chair is near identical in pack size.

DSCF3304_zps9bf4860a.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE