Pine Needle Tea

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
I've read about this enjoyable drink and it got me thinking. Can this be made with any species of pine, or are there only specific ones? Which is your favourite?

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I think most are ok to use but not yellow pine which is poisonous. I have only used scots and corsican pine which is what you will mainly find in our planted forests

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Must admit that larch is my favourite of the bunch for making tea. Though I don't just use conifers. Bramble leaves or nettles are pretty nice too.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I seem to recall Norway spruce wasn't great, nor was grand fir. Scots or Corsican is very refreshing though

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
How long to steep or boil? We used to drink Scots pine, very easy to spot and fairly common, but always had to steep it a long time. I've seen times of only 5 minutes but IME it needs longer. What do you ppl do?

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
I prefer the spruces and firs personally, more of a citrus taste.
Are all fir and spruce needles safe to make tea with?
I made some a few months ago with some needles that smelt unbelievably lemony!
Although I loved it, I haven't done it since because I don't know how to identify what's safe and what's not...
If needles smell like lemon, is it a good sign that they're good for making tea?

Tom Gold

Forager
Nov 2, 2012
Scotland
www.thetreeline.co.uk
Made some with Scots Pine last year. Had to infuse it for some mins to get any flavour but eventually had a surprisingly soft almost minty taste - quite pleasant!

You've inspired me to have another shot at it, maybe even try a blend...

Thanks for sharing,

T

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
How long to steep or boil? We used to drink Scots pine, very easy to spot and fairly common, but always had to steep it a long time. I've seen times of only 5 minutes but IME it needs longer. What do you ppl do?

Chop it fine and bash the needles first, same for any tough plants that you want to use as tea.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Are all fir and spruce needles safe to make tea with?
I made some a few months ago with some needles that smelt unbelievably lemony!
Although I loved it, I haven't done it since because I don't know how to identify what's safe and what's not...
If needles smell like lemon, is it a good sign that they're good for making tea?

I don't know for certain TBH but I know well to avoid Yew which is the main danger for mis-identification. :) I've had Scots Pine, Siberian Pine, Douglas fir, Norway Spuce, Black Spruce, Larch, Western Red Cedar. Searching for poisinous Conifers doesn't yield many results and I'm personally happy with most of the plantation and native conifers. Douglas fir tastes very lemony to me and smells of it too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE