Is pine needle tea safe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
i remember reading somewhere that the word "toxic" actually comes from the latin word for yew (taxus) --haven't tried them myself (but met folks who did and lived without any i'll effects) but the fleshy red "berries" of the yew are edible. !!!the seed inside is NOT edible but poisonous like the rest of the plant!!!
Yeah, the flesh is edible, nothing else is. It's got a nice flavour but I'd rather not risk it!

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Conifer is very different from pine.
That is where most sites talking about pine needle tea go wrong, they seem to assume that anything with needles or wintergreen is "pine", just normal stupid. A pine is anything with the sci. name starting with "Pinus". There are very few non-pines that can easily be mixed with the real ones. Few of those are some Podocarpus species and the relic Sciadopitys verticillata, can be seen in gardens but not really in the forest in Europe.

Reactions: Toddy

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Of course I know the differences.

I just want to keep the beginners who joined the forum during the last two years.

I would be pretty sad if we loose some of them here because they experimented with the wrong plant.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like the yew arils, they're a sweet soft jelly-ish tasty thing. Very careful eating though.
Hawthorn, I'm not so keen on. I just find them mealy. Might just be the local trees, because like elders and apples they're all a bit different from each other.

I was taught to take pine needles in pairs. That's how ours grow. I know of the fives, but for my tea, I'll stick to the pairs.
There were a lot of imported species around here in the policies (grounds) of the big houses and castles, and the locals got cuttings for their own. Victorian and Edwardian times were very active plant gathering times. Lots of small local shows and associations, so some really weird things still pop up on occasion.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Then again some people do use the young branch tips of Norway spruce in tea and a kind of syrup can be made out of them. So some Picea species can be used, I don't know about Abies as they are not native here.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I know of the fives, but for my tea, I'll stick to the pairs.
I met somewhere that the Am. P. strobus can be used for needle tea and that is a five needle pine. Some relatives live in Europe too so they might be drinkable, I have not seen any info on that though.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
There were a lot of imported species around here in the policies (grounds) of the big houses and castles, and the locals got cuttings for their own. Victorian and Edwardian times were very active plant gathering times. Lots of small local shows and associations, so some really weird things still pop up on occasion.
And some of the imports stuck around, more the reason to first recognize what one eats. :thumbsup:

P. contorta is a two needle pine, I understand that some fairly large test areas have been planted in the UK:

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you pack a little jar or pot with pine needles, not tight tight, but a fair load, and cover them with sugar, put the lid on and leave it aside. In a few weeks turn the jar upside down in a sieve over another jar and you'll have made what is known as pine honey.
It's a golden syrup that's very soothing when one has a cold or sore throat.

Reactions: demographic and JFW

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Whilst out for a walk earlier, all this talk of teas made me realise I hadn't had a 'bush tea' for some time.
So I thought I would and, because there is so much about, I thought I would experiment and made myself...nettle and wild majoram tea.
It was very nice.

51360929428_1b3a4eff05_z.jpg

Reactions: Toddy

PoppyD

Jul 18, 2021
Stourton
If you pack a little jar or pot with pine needles, not tight tight, but a fair load, and cover them with sugar, put the lid on and leave it aside. In a few weeks turn the jar upside down in a sieve over another jar and you'll have made what is known as pine honey.
It's a golden syrup that's very soothing when one has a cold or sore throat.
How much sugar do you have to put on?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah, that's a by guess and by how much I can shake in amongst the needles.
If you fill the jar three quarters full of needles, then start spooning sugar into it, and shake it down in among the needles, tap it on the worktop sort of thing, then you want just enough sugar to cover them.
Not terribly scientific, and I apologise for not being more informative, but that's just how I was shown and know of to make the pine honey.

The sugar draws out the liquid from the needles. I know we think they're pretty dry but it's quite surprising just how much liquid is actually in them.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There's another sugar extraction syrup that works very well too.

It's surprisingly good at clearing a sore throat and the sinus' but it's not so pleasant to take.

Grate up an onion and put that into a jar. Cover it in brown sugar, put the lid on and put it into the fridge.
It'll seep a brown syrup that is really strongly tasting. It'll keep for a year in the fridge though without spoiling. A teaspoonful sooked slowly will soothe a sore throat, and is reputedly (and surprisingly considering the smell of the onion) rather good at getting rid of bad breath. Just take it, swish it around for a while and then brush your teeth. It kills the bacteria that can linger in the mouth and cause the bad breath stench.

Reactions: JFW and FerlasDave

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
i remember reading somewhere that the word "toxic" actually comes from the latin word for yew (taxus) --haven't tried them myself (but met folks who did and lived without any i'll effects) but the fleshy red "berries" of the yew are edible. !!!the seed inside is NOT edible but poisonous like the rest of the plant!!!
I've eaten the Yew berry flesh and spat out the poisonous seeds.
Err, it seemed to me to be sweet but without much flavour if you see what I mean.
At best I'd say it was OK but I don't have an especially sweet tooth so the sweet part wasn't so much of a plus for me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE