Pig Weekend (photos)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Having gone on Hugh Fearnley-Wittingstall's "pig in a day" course as a treat for Wellsy's birthday, we were well set up for the weekend butchering the two Saddle Backs. During the day we stopped for a lunch of Devilled Kidneys, and pig's brain shallow fried in breadcrumbs seasoned with herbs and black pepper... for those of you who haven't tried it, the texture is a bit like deep fried camembert...

Here are the beasts hanging in the forge

DSCF6389copy.jpg

Making a start on No 1

DSCF6392copy.jpg

Hammy hanging up

DSCF6393copy.jpg

Hammy in the salt box. Will remain there for approx 18 days, and then washed a wiped with vinegar, patted dry and air cured for 6-9 months...

DSCF6402copy.jpg

25 KG of salt later...

DSCF6403copy.jpg

The brawn pot put on for a long slow simmer...

DSCF6398copy.jpg

Curing the belly bacon, in a rather fetching pink box...

DSCF6405copy.jpg

Yours truly sausage making...they taste much better than they look :D

DSCF6409copy.jpg

Salami, which will air dry for around 12 weeks, so will be ready by Christmas. They can of course be left much longer...

DSCF6412copy.jpg

Pouring the jelly stock onto the brawn (note the cheffy crouch ;) )

DSCF6417copy.jpg

Hanging around to be admired...

DSCF6415copy.jpg

A very productive weekend, capped off with Tender Loin stuffed with some of the sausage meat we produced...

DSCF6416copy.jpg

I've decided to be vegetarian for the rest of the week ;)

feisty

Sep 2, 2007
An awesome sight, just wish I could be there with you at the tastings!!.......

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Excellent thread.
All looks very well organised,I bet you had everything rehearsed, all knives sharpenned, work areas cleared and cleaned.Its quite a responsibility isn't it, I mean you owe it to the pigs to use their meat properly.

Well done.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Crikey mate, you have been busy lately...Did Hugh teach you the sausage making as well..? They look good....mmmmmmmmm Sausages.....

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
The bacon having been in the dry cure mix for 5 days, has now been cleaned of cure mix and hanging in shed for a further 7-10 days, when it will be ready to fry....

DSCF6427copy.jpg

Jon, it was Ray Smith, Hugh's butcher mate, who did the sausage demo. Makes it look so easy, but it aint. Very Generation Game :D

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Mod-user spent a day helping on half a pig, sausages were great and some of the joints we ate that night were fantastic after being cooked over the open fire.

2egeh6d.jpg

Mod-user on the sausage machine...

Nothing better than tasting food you created yourself, enjoy your bacon!

LS

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Stovie, you are an inspiration to me at the moment - please - more of these fantastic posts - truly magic stuff

Red

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Stovie
You and your mate could do your own TV show that food looks great as good if not better then anything else ive seen these tv chefs do.:You_Rock_ mmmmmmm hungry now

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
It's amazing how mice and flies etc don't get at the meat. I've seen loadsa sausage air curing/drying in the Pyrenees and Dolomites. This reminds me of the 'Atlantic Britain' episode with the Faroe farmers wrestling some sheep and cutting it up and the farmers that cure/air dry mutton.

Yours looks good. Could you make some Haggis !

Nick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE