Pictish Hunting Leather Carving

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Thanks for all the kind comments folks really appreciate it :)

Have you done any pictish decoration on your more normal leatherwork?. A quick google image search turned up some really cool boar and wolf pics

I do indeed :) Here is some of my 'normal' work with Pictish carvings:

wallets

HalfGoat Wallet Pictish Eagle by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Pictish Bear Wallet 1 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Belt & Sporran

CIMG5674 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Kilt Belt

HalfGoat PictBelt 2 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Guitar strap

HalfGoat Pictish Guitar Strap 1 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
A project I have yet to complete is the build of a period crossbow from Romano-British times. I have a nut made of walrus ivory modelled on illustrated and excavated examples.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
I love all of that amazing pictish art love the style and the simple elegance it has, really nailing that style there Hamish.
Remind me to let you teach me that one day XD loving it to bits, and I reckon you are really setting the mood for your customers!
Love seeing your stuff Hamish

Yours sincerely
Ruud

Dreadhead

Cool stuff that, Is just me or has the eagle got a south american feel to it

I have seen some really stunning stuff of yours mate. Must treat myself one day when i'v got some spare cash

I thought the very same thing, but I guess there are only so many ways you can carve an eagle :)

I love all of that amazing pictish art love the style and the simple elegance it has, really nailing that style there Hamish.
Remind me to let you teach me that one day XD loving it to bits, and I reckon you are really setting the mood for your customers!
Love seeing your stuff Hamish

Yours sincerely
Ruud

Thanks mate, really appreciate it ;)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If you ever do a simple (inexpensive :) ) piece with the Goose looking over its shoulder
images.jpg
I would be most interested...
36 years ago I painted a version of this on a rock in the bit of our inglenook fireplace chimney breast that intrudes into my bedroom and see it every day. The image is special to me for various reasons...
My leather carving is not up to doing it justice (neither was my painting really...) but I am sure that yours is :)
John

Rustee

Forager
Oct 9, 2014
Edge of The Wilds
Greetings Hamish,

I quite like your traditional leather craftwork however I can't help but mention that I think your 'eagle' design has more of a 'raven' look to it- in which a raven is also associated as a great source of power in the Celtic and Norse nations. Have fun and keep up the fine leather craftwork.

Best Regards, Rustee

Dreadhead

If you ever do a simple (inexpensive :) ) piece with the Goose looking over its shoulder
attachment.php

I would be most interested...
36 years ago I painted a version of this on a rock in the bit of our inglenook fireplace chimney breast that intrudes into my bedroom and see it every day. The image is special to me for various reasons...
My leather carving is not up to doing it justice (neither was my painting really...) but I am sure that yours is :)
John

I would love to have a crack at that John ;) I'm slowly trying to work my way through as many Pictish carvings as possible so I will get round to it at some point :) Got any pictures of your painting??

Dreadhead

Greetings Hamish,

I quite like your traditional leather craftwork however I can't help but mention that I think your 'eagle' design has more of a 'raven' look to it- in which a raven is also associated as a great source of power in the Celtic and Norse nations. Have fun and keep up the fine leather craftwork.

Best Regards, Rustee

Hi Rustee,

Thanks. I agree they do look very similar, but the Pictish carvings of birds are almost always eagles for some reason. Research into the stone suggests more eagle than raven, but I take your point :) I do carve ravens quite a lot of the time too as they are my favourite bird for obvious reasons ;)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I would love to have a crack at that John ;) I'm slowly trying to work my way through as many Pictish carvings as possible so I will get round to it at some point :) Got any pictures of your painting??

As I say - my skills are not really up to it ...
The rock was covered in concrete so I plastered it and had a go at the image....
P8100001.jpg

Dreadhead

I think your leather work is just stunning. Iv just Liked your facebook page.
Such real skill and you truly are a craftsman.

Thank you kindly ;)

As I say - my skills are not really up to it ...
The rock was covered in concrete so I plastered it and had a go at the image....
attachment.php

Fantastic, that's a nice sight to see everyday John :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Lovely work. Wish I was closer and could see it in real life, I doubt the photos do it justice.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

His work is well worth seeing. He's a true craftsman, plus a heck of a nice chap.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE