Pictish Hunting Leather Carving

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Hi folks,

Getting ready for another market I have this weekend in Dumfires, I decided I needed a new banner for my stall so knocked this up this week. It's about 70X80 cm, made from 4mm veg tan cowhide. Hand carved with Pictish hunting scenes from the Elgin and Shandwick stones here in Scotland :) I'm hoping it will kindle peoples interest in Pictish culture as these carvings really show the sophistication of the Picts, and puts the lie that they were mindless barbarians to bed. It's my goal to recreate as many Pictish carvings as possible and bring them back to life in leather :)

Half-Goat Leatherwork Pictish Banner by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Half-Goat Leatherwork Pictish Banner Detail by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Pretty chuffed overall. May do another 'viking' one at somepoint with norse carvings. But this will do for now. Thanks for looking :)

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Nice work Hamish. A first class class II, "you know what I mean" Ill have to have a trip round to the Cathedral for another look now.

Very nice work but who said the Picts were mindless barbarians?
probably the Romans.

Do you think that hoodie wee the crossbow is poaching ;-)

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Lovely work Hamish, that should draw the crowds to you from across the fairground. The designs lend themselves to your skills well, they like you were great craftsmen. Being brought up near some of the stones I grew up finding them beautiful and wanting to know more of the people who carved them. Unluckily not nearly enough is known about them or indeed understood of what little we have left.
Brilliant stuff mate and good luck at the shows.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's a great banner, Hamish, I'm sure that'll generate a lot of interest in those who see it; lovely work :)

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
They look great! Those Pictish designs really seem to lend themselves well to leather - maybe there was a half Pict half goat back in the day carving those designs into leather, but unfortunately none has survived.

I like Pictish art, and have seen the Shandwick stone, and you have captured the essence of the designs to perfection!

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
thanks for the kind words everyone :)

Whenever I bring up the picts with people straight away they ask something along the lines "you mean the scots that fought naked against the romans?". I love these carvings as they show the sculpted hair and beard styles, and some detail in clothing even the metalwork on the end of the sword scabbards. And the fact the horses are at canter rather than full gallop shows that the carvings were well thought out to show their lords looking regal. Not to mention the crossbow the hunter is using ;)

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Beautiful mate

I bet you get loads of people touching it just see if its actually carved leather or a print lol

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
I hadn't realised the crossbow was in use so early on.

Lovely work.

Just a quick side note on crossbows.
The class II Pictish stones Hamish recreated in leather originally dates to around the 8th or 9th Century, the crossbow was in use well over a thousand years prior to that.

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Have you done any pictish decoration on your more normal leatherwork?. A quick google image search turned up some really cool boar and wolf pics

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE