Phrase origins

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Don't get me started on naval expressions :eek:

"Room to swing a cat" of course refers to the whip, not the moggy. Small ships (less than ships of "the line") didn't have "room to swing a cat (o' nine tails)"

Red
I've heard more than once that this is not as 'cut and dried' as people think
One tale is that a cat was a type sailing collier,(capable of hauling up to 300 plus tons of coal) Whitby cat boats sailed in fleets , so if the harbour was small it meant that other boats could not use it. (Captain Cook learnt to sail in a Whitby cat)
In addition, the use predates the British navy articles, (written 1661 in the reign of Charles II)
There was the practice of placing a cat in a leather bottle and using it as target practice for archers
Much ado about nothing written in 1598
Benedick
If I do, hang me in a bottle like a cat and shoot

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
a quick google on "swing a cat"+etymology gives this, its interesting to try this for some of the other phrases here too.

Whether the 'cat' was a real moggy or the flail-like whip used to punish sailors in the British Navy isn't clear. Many reports claim that the cat in question is the 'cat o'nine tails'. As so often though, they don't supply evidence, just certainty. As a candidate for folk etymology goes the 'cat o' nine tails' story has it all - plausibility, a strong storyline and a nautical origin. That's enough to convince most people. The evidence is less convincing though. The phrase itself dates from at least 1665.

Richard Kephale's Medela Pestilentiae, 1665:

"They had not space enough (according to the vulgar saying) to swing a Cat in."

The nature of that citation makes it clear that the phrase was already in use prior to it being committed to paper. The 'cat o' nine tails' isn't recorded until 1695 though, in William Congreve's Love for Love:

"If you should give such language at sea, you'd have a cat-o'-nine-tails laid cross your shoulders."

If those dates are in fact the earliest uses then the 'cat o' nine tails' theory is wrong. The task for anyone who wants to claim that theory correct is to pre-date those citations.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/no-room-to-swing-a-cat.html

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Rule of thumb..
In French a thumb is a "puce" (sp?)
In French an inch is a "puce"
Thumb = inch
Rule - old form of ruler as in "a fool rule"
Rule of thumb= rough and ready measurement, actually using your thumb as a ruler.
My thumb is 1/2 mile long on 1/25000 scale maps and I use "rule of thumb" for measurement/nav
My span from fingers to nose - facing forward - is a yard facing away from my fingers - a metre.
My foot is a foot long - 12"
Body parts from cubits to "hand " hights for horses are the old way of measuring things before srtandardization came in - rule of thumb is self explainatory....

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
A "flash in the pan" describes the situation where the priming charge in a flintlock didn't transfer to the main charge - either because the touchhole was blocked or becuase the main charge hadn't been placed in the barrel. (Done this). It means the appearance of danger (the flash) without the reality (the main charge igniting)

I had always assumed this was related to gold prospectors and the use of a pan for sifting river bed sediment for gold.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
In days gone by, the way they cleaned chimney's was to climb on the roof and drop a live goose down it. It flapped on it's way down and this cleaned the flue. However, geese were expensive, so you tended to look after your's. If you did not, however, remember to extinguish the fire in the hearth, your 'Goose would be cooked'!:)

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Being the underdog is an old wood sawing expression. When large logs were sawn in pits there was one guy on the top of the log who pulled up the saw and guided it. The other guy was under the log in the pit and he made the down stroke but also got all the sawdust from the sawing. The log was held in place by iron spikes called dogs. Therefore the underdog is the one who get all the nasty filthy jobs and is looked down on by everyone else.;)

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
This is one interesting thread.
I feel sad that I have nothing to contribute in the way of phrases but nursery rhymes... another matter....

Humpty Dumpty - King George going mad.
Mary, Mary Quite Contrary - Mary Queen of Scots who was notoriously vain (apparently)
Ring a Ring of Roses- The Plauge (as been mentioned before)
Hey Diddle Diddle - Exploits of the royal family circa 1800.

There's a few more but I can't think of them at the moment. They were sung at public houses, made up by town bards and contained ruder words than are in them now, and usually more verses too.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
In days gone by, the way they cleaned chimney's was to climb on the roof and drop a live goose down it. It flapped on it's way down and this cleaned the flue. However, geese were expensive, so you tended to look after your's. If you did not, however, remember to extinguish the fire in the hearth, your 'Goose would be cooked'!:)

Nice one Jedadiah I didn't know that one, Keep 'em coming :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Goosy Goosey Gander
- the religious thought police in Cromwellian times searching out Catholics and other religious misfits - goose stepping in their cavelry boots...

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
'Letting the cat out of the bag' so I've been told, referred to what happened before a flogging. Once a sailor had been sentenced to so many lashes, he would have been issued with a length of rope and, in his spare time, would have had to make a 'cat o' nine tails'. The 'cat' would be inspected by the Bosun, and if it was not properly made, including the prescribed number of knots in each tail, the Bosun would make one. This was a bad thing, because if the Bosun had to make one, he got pretty pee'd off and would include bits of broken glass and small nails in the braid of the rope, so it'd take the skin off your back.

Anyway, it wasn't always convenient to serve out lashes on the day of the conviction and sentencing, so the 'cat' would be placed in a bag and hung somewhere on deck for everyone to see. On a day (sometimes weeks later) decided by the Captain, First Officer or someone appointed by them, when a flogging could take place without too much disruption to a ship's company, the 'cat' would be hung out of the bag, the tails trailing over the side letting everyone including the poor miscreant, that today was the day. The waiting could be worse than the actual flogging, and I've been told that after the first dozen lashes you don't really feel the lashes, just a continual pain until it stops.

Anyway, 'letting the cat out of the bag' meant somebody was soon to be in deep doo-doo's.

Eric

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
'Letting the cat out of the bag' so I've been told, referred to what happened before a flogging. Once a sailor had been sentenced to so many lashes, he would have been issued with a length of rope and, in his spare time, would have had to make a 'cat o' nine tails'. The 'cat' would be inspected by the Bosun, and if it was not properly made, including the prescribed number of knots in each tail, the Bosun would make one. This was a bad thing, because if the Bosun had to make one, he got pretty pee'd off and would include bits of broken glass and small nails in the braid of the rope, so it'd take the skin off your back.

Anyway, it wasn't always convenient to serve out lashes on the day of the conviction and sentencing, so the 'cat' would be placed in a bag and hung somewhere on deck for everyone to see. On a day (sometimes weeks later) decided by the Captain, First Officer or someone appointed by them, when a flogging could take place without too much disruption to a ship's company, the 'cat' would be hung out of the bag, the tails trailing over the side letting everyone including the poor miscreant, that today was the day. The waiting could be worse than the actual flogging, and I've been told that after the first dozen lashes you don't really feel the lashes, just a continual pain until it stops.

Anyway, 'letting the cat out of the bag' meant somebody was soon to be in deep doo-doo's.

Eric

There's a few 'miscreants' who may benifit from that punishment nowadays Eric. Bring it back I say. :cool:

BOD

The nipper was a temporary connecter, used for hauling the main anchor cable.
The cable, because of its size couldn't go around the windlass drum and had to be hove-in on a continuous messenger which could go around the drum.

The nipper held the cable ,hard-to , the moving messenger and was tended by a nipper boy, who released it after a fleet of cable was hauled aboard...then the pore bu88er ran back forrad and threw-on another connection.

Ceeg

Quite correct except the messenger (or viol) went around the Capstan. A Windlass in those days was a smaller drum with a horizontal shaft and found on small ships.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
re: floggings, in hospital in the early 80's I looked after a man in his 90's who had been a sailor, (I think merchant navy?) he had a huge crucifix tattoo covering his back. He told me it was popular to ward off the lash. I read later that the idea was
1 the tattooing in some way numbed the skin
2 the bosun would instinctively shy away from lashing the cross
3 the lash itself would shrink away...

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Excellent thread this! Well, I know I'm just going to have to make a 'cat', just to see how difficult it is to do. You never know, what with some of the leather stuff I make, I might find a niche in the BDSM market.

Eric

perpetualelevator

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
The line "put him in bed with the Captain's daughter" from 'What do you do with a drunken sailor' did not refer to an actual female person, but was a euphemism for the cat o' nine tails. Not sure what he's doing in bed with it, though?

I've heard the Cat has nine tails because of the way the rope is constructed, with the main cable made of three twisted ropes, each made of three twisted yarns (not sure I got the terminology right). So the the sailor was issued a single length of cable, which he then had to deconstruct into its nine strands.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE