Phone upgrade time...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
I must say reading this thread is confusing!
For a bushcrafty lot, I'd think chat like this would atleast mention rugged phones, like the JCB Toughphone line or a Samsung B2100
I've had a Sony Ericsson C905 (not exactly tough I know, but bought for it's brilliant camera not long after it came out) but as I knelt on it the other night, the screen has cracks, a big black blob on it and vertical lines.... so I'm looking for a replacement...

What about other tough phones?

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I've had a HTC Desire HD for a while now and like you i had been thinking about upgrading.

The Mrs has one of the latest HTC phones though, with the latest software version and ok it's slightly faster at opening ap's, but to be honest there really isn't THAT much difference in use.

The other thing that persuaded me to wait, is that many of the newer HTC phones are coming out with a sealed in battery.
As i carry spare batteries with me when camping there is absolutely no way i'd buy a phone with either memory or battery sealed in.

I\d say save you money, only difference is a slight different operating system and very very slightly faster in operation.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
For a bushcrafty lot, I'd think chat like this would atleast mention rugged phones, like the JCB Toughphone line or a Samsung B2100
I've had a Sony Ericsson C905 (not exactly tough I know, but bought for it's brilliant camera not long after it came out) but as I knelt on it the other night, the screen has cracks, a big black blob on it and vertical lines.... so I'm looking for a replacement...

Why? I have never, ever dropped my phone anywhere. When camping I stick my phone in a ziplock bag at night to keep moisture off it. The vast majority of people don't need a 'tough' phone as most don't drop them, go wading across rivers etc and most 'tough' phones lack features and the screens are too small for us to watch Ray Mears video's.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland

I use a Nokia 1616, I have a spare one still in its box, cheap as chips and waterproof when kept in a waterproof bag. True, I do have to remember most of the numbers I dial and I take notes on bits of paper and take pictures on my camera. Works for me. :)

i dont follow all the fancy phones-i have an allegedly unbreakable one from Samsung
the GT-B2719 in fact
i can still go on facebook when out and about it has a camera and all sorts of other swish gubbins which i dont use
main reason i have an unbreakable one? in one easy expalantion? Toddler :)
Lisa has a Samsung galaxy (i think) whilst hers has coped with the trials and tribulations of having aa toddler in the house i notice its battery charge is a lot worse than mine hers is plugged in every night for charge mine if i use it normal amounts lasts me 4 to 5 days between charges and thats left on constantly
if i conserve it by not playing with it aall the time, turning it off over night etc etc i can get 7 to 8 days out of it

i like the look of smart phones but i suspect i wouldn't use one to its full potential

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert

I was looking at tough phones last year, the JCB phones didn't get great reviews, Samsung seems good.
Personally I like the look of the ITTM Outlimits 3g, comes with dual Sim slots for those areas of poor reception where a different network might be useful.
Currently using a Galaxy S11, a million times better than the HTC P.O.S. it replaced

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE