Powering gadgets - battery banks or solar charger?

• Thread starter Deleted member 56886
  • Start date
  • Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
D

Deleted member 56886

Hi folks, I'm after some advice
Now I'm of that age where I like my creature comforts, thosebeing my vape and my phone. Vape is a must for me, smoker from a young age and just no matter how hard I try I'm a nicotine addict. The comfort with my phone is when I get home from camp, Mrs won't kill me for being unreachable, and it's handy to have for emergencies, of which I never hope to have. So the question, what power bank would you recommend, I'm looking for something that can charge 2 devices, once a day for 7 days, as that's the longest I will be away from home at any one time. I've had some generic ones off the Internet, claiming to fill the parameters I'm looking for, but alas not one can charge my phone once. Any and all advice/suggestions/ recommendations welcome
TIA
John

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Solar panel tech is slowly catching up and it's viable in good sun. But weight per Wh and practicality of the whole setup still favors just the powerbank.

Reactions: Oaktree83

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Small solar panels are useless in my experience - unless you can wait all day to make one phone call :(

Work out the power capacity of each device then get one or more power banks to cover the number of times you need to charge. I can't fault my Anker power bank but then my phone will last several days anyway when I switch off Bluetooth and Wi-Fi.

Reactions: Oaktree83

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You need rechargeable big storage batteries to really take advantage of photovoltaic output. Plate surface area determines charging capacity. I use pairs of 6VDC in series instead of single 12VDC batteries for that reason. Space and weight are not issues. You need to decide if you can get along with square wave, modified sine wave or pure sine wave AC from the inverter for your appliances. As you might imagine, price rises accordingly with electronic complexity.

marcoruhland

Life Member
Apr 23, 2020
Germany
hi,
if you need a (emergency) phone that work for one week (standby) do not take a smartphone with large display sonim xp5plus (3500mah for 30h/600h)

in general i would not recommend goal zero there product are overpriced but i had some very good deals (1/3 of the retail price so overall i am very happy with them )
my largest mobil power bank sherpa-100ac in a catalyst-sleeve (1.1 kg) the venture-70 (out of production) has better stand-by (less energy consumption) than the new venture-75 for long time outside there is a nomad-28-plus-solar-panel and a tex energy air 18 wind turbine both works great but you need one week good condition (sun/ wind) for the sherpa 100 so in relation they are to heavy - there is an 8 year old powermonkey-expedition kit (that never was upgrade with wind or water turbine like announced - so tex energy is the successor company) that works without solar/wind but for 10000mah you need much human power with the crank so my recommendation if needed take a larger power bank for only one week

mr

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Charging my two anker power banks, 20k mAh each. That's for 4 days with two phones, switch and tablet.

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
The 20W Xtar brand solar panel is working well for me.

The Sofirn LT1 lantern is an awesome lantern (LED) and also works as a powerbank. With 4 x 18650 batteries, the storage capacity for your phone, MP3 player, etc. is impressive. I am in the USA and get mine direct out of China on one of their sales for ~$50USD shipped in ~2 weeks with standard shipping. Not sure about the UK import duties and shipping times but, I am super happy with both of mine. The Reddit Flashlight forum is highly supportive of them as well.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
To add, your vape is a high drain device. The one I used to use ran on 18650 batteries (3000mah). I’d easily drain a battery a day with a hefty DTL cloud tank on it. It‘s asking a lot of a powerbank to keep you vaping for a week.

If you’re using higher nic liquid and a MTL tank, then you’ll probably be ok, but even so, making things (coils) hot costs a lot in power.

I use Anker powerbanks, they don’t over claim the mAh. If you know your vape battery capacity and your phone battery capacity then you’ll be able to work out approximately how many charges you’ll get. To charge the 2 devices for 7 days is a big ask, at least 20,000 mAh, probably bigger, but it really depends on your usage and the battery capacity of your phone and vape.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I switch off my smartphone if in the woods. Important partners know that they have to send me a SMS if they need a contact. I usually check it once or twice a day.

I carry a usual fast charger and cable and if really needed I simply have to go somewhere and order a coffee for charging the phone.

I carry cigarettes like John Wayne.

But I don't schlep a solar panel or power bank around. My Samsung outdoor phone has a pretty big battery though.
Also otherwise I highly recommend the x-cover versions. That's professional outdoor gear of it's best!

:cigar:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE