Perfect bushcraft knife

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
No wooden scales to crack & break,
nature themed. What else could one possibly want?

null_zps413f7729.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I hope it comes with a faux leather sheath!
I would not want to get such a blade corroded by tannin or have the sheath get all marked and manky with age and faux leather would set the blade off so well...

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Must have lost their Marbles if they think they can Buck the trend of Woodlore. Mora a case of ColdSteel looking more like a Svord than knife with a proper Outdoor Edge....:p

Must have lost their Marbles if they think they can Buck the trend of Woodlore. Mora a case of ColdSteel looking more like a Svord than knife with a proper Outdoor Edge....:p

I love your explanation!

From many years ago when people started to get creative with survival knife design:
http://www.oldjimbo.com/survival/hjsb.html

Nothing compared to bushcraft knife design of course...

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
What else could you want? Maybe a swastika somewhere on it and some provenance. Wishful thinking though.

OurAmericanCousin

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2015
SoCalUSA
Goodness knows throughout my time on this lil' blue ball I've given my share of jabs and such. Almost never with any intent whatsoever at hurting anyone. Sometimes, a good joking or razzing goes a long way at at allowing oneself to perhaps look past their own shortcomings while unloading on someone else.

At any rate, I have had the mispleasure of encountering the result of an (albeit unintentional) hurtful ridiculing I had taken part in. It like to tore my belly in two to realize the senseless and insensitive hurt I'd help put on another human being. Somebody, somewhere, sometime either took pride in their work or another will be busting with pride to own it....whatever the item may be.

I'd never presume to be so above another person as to ridicule either their efforts or a prided acquisition. Sure, it may not be to my taste, but it takes all kinds to make a world.

....And thank goodness for it. It'd be pretty boring if we all liked the same thing.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Please go and re-read the replies.
We have very gently jibed at the OP's photo of a knife in an auction (or is it a raffle prize ? ) for it's total impracticality for our chosen pastime. We have slated neither the maker nor the owner or seller.
It was a bit of fun, with the occasional witty play on words, without any nasty aggression and we don't deserve your holier than thou sanctimonious riposte.

However, as it's said, 'each to their own'.

M

OurAmericanCousin

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2015
SoCalUSA
Aaaaandd, actually,...

This follows some of the same typical lines of traditional Southwest (read; Mexican influenced) fighting knives. They usually have the sweeping, radically pointed blade with the eagle's head butt. The guard often has an upturn for both defensive and offensive reasons. The wing motif isn't typical, I must say.

I can see an influence in design from a bygone era. One that is perhaps mostly forgotten due to the effects of time, geography, or both.

OurAmericanCousin

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2015
SoCalUSA
Neither holier than anyone or sanctimonious. I even stated clearly I have drank from the cup plenty myself.

And just what would the comments be if a new member proudly posted pictures of their very first attempt at the craft.....and it was this?

I'm fully aware it was all meant in fun. Some comments were quite clever. But intent is sometimes found at the opposite end of interpretation.

Just because everybody does it doesn't make it right.

And I can find myself in that majority often enough to recognize it. ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Bushcraft forum. We don't use knives for 'fighting', we generally don't discuss them for that topic either.
We have issues in the UK with knife crime. Half of the murders (Scotland average 1.74 per 100,000) were committed using knives.
Bushcrafters here try really hard to promote the safe use of knives as tools, not weapons, and encourage that perception of them.
We're allowed to joke about something that looks like it came out of a bad fantasy film.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE