Peak Forest canal Manchester

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
Hi all I have just got back from paddling the peak forest canal with Singeblister, Wayland and Reg bella. it was a great trip with lots learnt by everybody. I think a good time was had by all, I mean I had a great time and there was lots of smiles all round. So i will have to wait to see what the others say. When I get 2 mins i will do a blogg of the trip and the others can throw in a few piccys.
A great day on the canal even tho it was cold......ok freezing :rolleyes:

Cheers Greg.

Yep it was a good trip , got a bit nippy towards the end ,and my rolling over in the goose muck was a fine end to the day i was coverd in it the white slimey kind nice lol , we put in at bottom lock in marple and paddled 8 mile down to portland basin at Ashton pics to follow , left camera down stairs

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
As promised here is the blogg of the paddle down the Peak forest canal.

The motley crew for todays paddle would be Singeblister, Wayland, Reg Bella and myself.
We all met up at Portland basin museum at 09.30 and loaded the canoes onto Reg Bella’s (RB) trailer and looked at the map of the canal. It looked like it was going to be a good day weather wise. So we all jumped into RB’s car and set off for the put in at Marple locks. A short drive later and we was at the put in. This is where we got to have a play at setting up Wayland’s pak canoe.
peak&

As we carried the kit down to the waters edge, I lined up the paddles against the wall
and noticed we had a nice set of paddles between us.

PICT0056.jpg

At the put in.

PICT0059.jpg

After we had all sorted out our kit, into the water we went and set off down the canal. Over the aquadeuct where we had a quick stop off for piccys.

PICT0062.jpg

PICT0063.jpg

Then we paddled towards the tunnel with Wayland heroically fighting his pak canoe into going in a straight line. Which no matter what he did IT wanted to do something else.

PICT0061.jpg

RB swapped places with Wayland and had a go of the pak canoe while Wayland got to grips with the 16 foot strip wood. As they Wayland liked it that much RB could not get him out of it for the rest of the trip. :D

PICT0078.jpg

And had less issues with going in a straight line.

PICT0077.jpg

As we were about to enter the tunnel while frantically looking for our lights.

PICT0066.jpg

A short while later after we all had zig-zagged along the tunnel
We saw the LIGHT………paddle towards the ~LIGHT …..lol

PICT0073.jpg

After this it was plain paddling through some really nice countryside and semi industrial areas.

PICT0065.jpg

In one of the three tunnels. I don’t know which sorry.

PICT0074.jpg

This one was taken in the final tunnel I do know that.

PICT0083.jpg

Singeblister showing off while he got a better look at some cows on the bank.

PICT0085.jpg

All in all it was another great day on the water with good company and RB doing his best to teach us all how to paddle properly.:D He must have the patience of a saint as he keeps coming out with me and never stops trying to get me to do it right. :lmao: . Plenty of brew stops along the way and loads of banter where as usual we put the world to rights.
I spent the day in the 16 foot rather than my usual craft and loved it so that’s another on the shopping list.
Unlike most of my other trips there was no major disaster and I DID NOT SINK for a change. :p

Cheers for reading.
Greg

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Looks like a great outing :) I used to ride my bike along there as a kid. There is a hugely long tunnel somewhere, I think it might be in woodley along the marple canal. Before it had a railing up a family friend walked her horse and dog through it. The dog fell in the canal and she reached over to pull it out she pulled on the horses reigns and it fell into the canal pulling her in with it! Luckily it wasnt that deep but she had to walk a good way before she could get the horse out.

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
I woudn't mind having a go at canoeing, but with all respect to firebreather and his friends, it certainly wouldn't be on that particular stretch of canal! How ever did you avoid all the chavs? You do know you'd have been stoned to death like a bank of swans had you come across any?

Looks like good fun. Daft as it sounds, I'd never thought of canoeing in a canal before, I've always thought of it as a river sport. I assume that you climb out and walk round the locks, given that you'd have to get out to operate them anyway, and they'd be a bit dangerous for open craft. Oops, and that reminds me, I still have my friends lock 'anti-chav key'. Oh dear.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The stretch we did hadn't got any locks on it so all nice flat water (a bit of a concession for me I guess, as it was my first trip out.)

Thanks to everyone for their patience and help, couldn't have done it without you.

Bit achy today, but nowhere near as bad as I expected.

I learned loads but I'm going to have to work out how to trip my Ally canoe. :confused:

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
That looks like a lot of fun. I've yet to paddle a canal too.

That third paddle along(Singeblisters?) looks like a black walnut slim shaft number that's been calling out from the racks in the canoe shop the last couple of times I've been in. Had it been in my length I'd have probably given in.

Did you have anything in the boat Wayland? Sometimes just chucking a full rucksack in the front can make it easier to cruise. That wee Pack of mine can be a P-in-the-A empty, it's just so light and easy to turn. There's none of that when it's packed with gear though.
Mind Jamesoconners drybag full of water at Achray? Same idea. (scaled up to his size of course:D )

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
That looks like a lot of fun. I've yet to paddle a canal too.

That third paddle along(Singeblisters?) looks like a black walnut slim shaft number that's been calling out from the racks in the canoe shop the last couple of times I've been in. Had it been in my length I'd have probably given in.

nah mate its mine. I thinks its cherry and its a grey owl chieftain and was a birthday prezzie from my better half. I kept drooling over it in the shop as well
here is more info.
http://www.canoesandkayaks.co.uk/product/1741/Chieftan_Oiled_Grey_Owl

Cheers Greg

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
We did chuck a bagful of water into it in the end but RB still reckoned it was hard work.

I've used it fully laden and it's definitely easier to control then but I reckon a couple of water barrels should sort it.

It was a killer physically to paddle but I reckon it would be a great river canoe ,with the flow of the water to help you along. It spun on a dime and would be really good in white water. I still might get one, one day.

Cheers Greg

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
I woudn't mind having a go at canoeing, but with all respect to firebreather and his friends, it certainly wouldn't be on that particular stretch of canal! How ever did you avoid all the chavs? You do know you'd have been stoned to death like a bank of swans had you come across any?

Have you seen the piccys of us???? Even scallys know who not to have a go at :D I mean we had a freelance viking with us :p

On a serious note I have paddled this canal several times and never had any trouble. To be honest since I started paddling I have only ever had any hassle on the LLangollen canal and that was off a couple of kids who shouted abuse and ran off and they was having a pop at everybody. the rest of the time everybody fishermen included have been very nice and chatty.

Cheers Greg

Its very nice up there I dont live far from there and have never had any problems , what do chavs look like ? are they the ones in those great big long boats that try to crush you agianst the bank as they pass ;)

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
Thats a guilty look on Stu's face if I ever saw one.:D probably due to him showing off with all that standing on the gunnels ;)

What a load of salty sea dogs :p

Greg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE