'Pay As You Go' road tax. - Petition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
well the road tax is for the maintenance of the roads, charge the people that wear them out. If I only use the car on the weekend and drive a few miles, why should I pay as much as someone that drives hundreds of miles a week. I am doing far less damage to the roads and putting out far less pollution.

Currently the UK motorists put in about 40billion a year into the treasury. Last year the government spent just over 4billion on the road network. I don't see the road charging being any different.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
dave k said:
Currently the UK motorists put in about 40billion a year into the treasury. Last year the government spent just over 4billion on the road network. I don't see the road charging being any different.

There are other, indirect costs of motoring - not just road maintenance. Patching people up after accidents, or ensuring the security of fuel supplies, for example...

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
gregorach said:
There are other, indirect costs of motoring - not just road maintenance. Patching people up after accidents, or ensuring the security of fuel supplies, for example...

but I don't think this accounts for over 35billion every year? and this is not including duty on petrol I believe..

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
dave k said:
but I don't think this accounts for over 35billion every year? and this is not including duty on petrol I believe..

It's very difficult to say with any certainty. I just wanted to point out that there are other externalities - even identifying them all is tricky, never mind costing them.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Calculated my possible max payment this morning for my daily commute (based on the estimated cost per mile for the busiest roads – M6 qualifies I think).

£1100 per week – shouldn’t be a problem

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE